General Interest
 Enter Forum: General Interest
 New Idea for Blue Bird
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  11:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I think it would be really cool if Blue Bird came out with a low floor transit bus. RE of course. This would both make loading and unloading easier as well as have outstanding driver visibility. What do you think?!

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  12:15:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
they have a commercial bus like that.

were you talking about a low floor transit school bus.

Girardin/Blue-Bird are my favorite school buses

http://www.g71bdpt.net
Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdMan

193 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  1:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Send BlueBirdMan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking like an All-American low floor model. And if they really wanted to outdo themselves, they could have an option to make it hydrogen powered.

Bring back the "backing" sign!
Go to Top of Page

JC Theriault
Top Member

Canada
1326 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  6:19:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm totally against a low-floor school bus model. As a user of our local transit service here I can tell you that I feel much safer on a high-floor bus (ie. GM Newlooks or GM/Nova Classics) versus the low floor models (Nova LFS and New Flyers) now taking over the fleet.

I'm not convinced that passengers are as safe on a low-floor model in a side impact collision. Sure they say you are just as safe but instead of the car hitting the skirting of the bus it'll now hit the side wall were you are sitting.

As a former school bus driver I'd be worried if someone actually made this type of vehicle for school service.

JC
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  6:50:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JC Theriault

I'm totally against a low-floor school bus model. As a user of our local transit service here I can tell you that I feel much safer on a high-floor bus (ie. GM Newlooks or GM/Nova Classics) versus the low floor models (Nova LFS and New Flyers) now taking over the fleet.

I'm not convinced that passengers are as safe on a low-floor model in a side impact collision. Sure they say you are just as safe but instead of the car hitting the skirting of the bus it'll now hit the side wall were you are sitting.

As a former school bus driver I'd be worried if someone actually made this type of vehicle for school service.

JC

I couldnt agree more, I would rather ride on a higher one because of just that. If a car hits the side it goes under the bus, not into the wall where you are sitting. Low rider school buses, bad idea.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  7:06:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
me to but what if they just have a higher school bus with a lift coming out the front door.

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2004 :  8:24:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
A kneeling school bus doesnt sound bad, but the kids would have to get used to going up and down all the time...

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

Jared
Top Member

USA
1865 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  05:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jared's Homepage  Reply with Quote
lift out the front door...like this?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jaredg21/sets/
Go to Top of Page

Girardin_71
Top Member

Canada
626 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2004 :  06:46:52 AM  Show Profile  Send Girardin_71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
that is it that's what i was talking about

Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2004 :  11:37:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Great picture!! On a low floor bus, it can't hold as many passengers as on a regular floor bus (if it has the stairs in the back).

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000