Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  01:29:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Just wondering if anyone buys models of school buses, and keeps them as a miniature bus fleet? Or if anyone builds thier own models of buses and adds them to their custom built bus fleet? Sounds crazy, but I'm sure a few of you do; even if you are a kid or an adult. Why do you do it, where do you keep your buses, and how many do you have? If you number each bus (most likely you do), how do you number yours?

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 12/19/2003 01:48:12 AM

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  04:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is a topic for Bob to reply to!

I keep a collection, but I wouldn't consider it to be a fleet. I have 27 different die-cast and plastic models out that I can count right now. I'm probably missing some; I also have beanie buses, hehe. The 27 doesn't include the 12 Crown Supercoach die-cast models I have on another shelf.

All of my school bus models, with the exception of the Crowns, are on one bookshelf in this room (and what a great room it is). The Crowns are kept on a smaller bookshelf along with all of my other Crown STUFF.
Go to Top of Page

C24U
Advanced Member

United States
220 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  05:41:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of models. Our dealership recently got a shipment of C2 die casts. Just like the HDX models. Awesome, to say the least.
Go to Top of Page

sesalesman

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  06:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Um, I kind of do... It is an extremely small collection though. I currently have a fleet of Thomas C2 models. One lunchbox, one die cast, and one foam stress reliever. Does this even count as a model fleet ?
Go to Top of Page

sesalesman

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  06:09:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SchoolBusFan

Just wondering if anyone buys models of school buses, and keeps them as a miniature bus fleet? Or if anyone builds thier own models of buses and adds them to their custom built bus fleet? Sounds crazy, but I'm sure a few of you do; even if you are a kid or an adult. Why do you do it, where do you keep your buses, and how many do you have? If you number each bus (most likely you do), how do you number yours?

Sorry, I forgot to answer your first two questions...
1) I do it because they were given to me and they brighten up my office, which leads me to answer #2
2)... I keep them in my office .
And finally, I do not number my bus models. What? Do you think I'm some kind of bus geek, or something ? JK, I have no interest in numbering them. I want to keep them in original condition.
Go to Top of Page

Silas J.
Top Member

USA
938 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  06:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Send Silas J. an AOL message  Send Silas J. an ICQ Message  Click to see Silas J.'s MSN Messenger address  Send Silas J. a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I do. I think I have around 30, ranging from "years" 1977-2003. They are all numbered, with a year prefix and another number (such as 00-5=2000, #5_.

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  10:42:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I would say I have around 25 school buses. Out of those, the best ones I have are my 3 Blue Bird All American banks, a Thomas ER and an HDX, and Thomas Freightliner. Where can C2's be ordered at? They would make a good Christmas present.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*
Go to Top of Page

Thomasfan89
Top Member

USA
1155 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  7:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why, yes I do! I also plan on expanding! I have 10 currently ( same size that is). they would be: 1988 Thomas IHC, 1990 Thomas Chevy, 1993 Thomas IHC, 1995 Thomas ER, 1998 Blue Bird IHC, 1999 Blue Bird IHC, 2001 Blue Bird IHC, 2002 Thomas HDX, 2003 Thomas freightliner, and a 2004 Thomas Freightliner.
Greg Hovan
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  7:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a few buses, one of them is actually nice, Jeff Flatt made it.

I'm not crazy into the bus model thing though. Can't beat the real thing!

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  9:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Crazy? Nahhhhhh
Although I have some (50+) diecast or plastic buses that I have purchased, I fall into the category of building my own fleet of buses from scratch...primarily from posterboard, plastic, etc. I have always considered these buses to be my own personal fleet. They are lettered with Traverse City (MI) Area Public Schools even though I now live in Georgia. They are numbered consecutively 1-130 and are retired after about 13-14 years. Each bus takes about 27-30 hours to build and each is about 18 inches long, roughly 1:22 scale. They are currently 'parked' in two locations with a few scattered elsewhere. Sorry, but they are not for sale...but if you are ever in southeast Georgia.... I am currently building a BB Vision handibus, it will be # 11-04 replacing old #11 which was a '90 Ward International. Call me crazy, just don't call me geeky.

Ted
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2003 :  9:11:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
As for me, I do!! I have 20 buses. I built about half of them myself. I've made 4 Saf-T-Liner ER's, 2 Saf-T-Liner HD's, 2 Saf-T-Liner HDX's, and 1 Saf-T-Liner EF. I number all of them and label them to CCSD standards. I must be really crazy to keep adding about 2 buses I've built a year. The first 10 years, I've gotten about 1 a year like toy buses you'd find in the toy store. Then I got tired of trying to find Transit Style school buses, so I decided to make my own. I even put seats in the ones I built, lol.

I actually bought the new Saf-T-Liner C2 diecast model from Thomas last week. I just got it with the other model I ordered, the HDX. They look good, but the C2 model is smaller than the HDX model eventhough they are the same scale on the box. Those are being added to my collection since they're smaller than the ones I made. I also have the Blue Bird bus banks and other smaller buses and a rare Citizens Area Transit (CAT) city bus (Las Vegas) in my collection. If you want to see the C2 I got, go to my site & my E-mail address is at the bottom, and put in the subject "I want to see the C2!!" I got the one with the white roof.

Check out my new Yahoo group:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ccsdschoolbuszone/

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 12/19/2003 9:26:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

kd4jfd
Top Member

USA
1168 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  07:25:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see kd4jfd's MSN Messenger address  Send kd4jfd a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Just the three on my model RXR - a Matchbox, a ConCor, and another that was given to me by a student about 5 yrs ago. Of course, I have a larger plastic one. Does 349 count?

539 - Repair work in progress!
Go to Top of Page

92FrdCarp#11
Top Member

USA
1455 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  08:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit 92FrdCarp#11's Homepage  Send 92FrdCarp#11 an AOL message  Click to see 92FrdCarp#11's MSN Messenger address  Send 92FrdCarp#11 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I only have 2 buses in my fleet, it would've been 3 if my mom would've gotten me the Simpson's school bus. Other than school buses, I have a fleet of 18-wheelers.

Johnny

Go to Top of Page

Crownbus852

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  08:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also only have 2. A Thomas/Ford, and a Crown Supercoach (Tandem Axle). I can't go anywhere without my Crown.
Go to Top of Page

98TomFord
Top Member

USA
812 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  09:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit 98TomFord's Homepage  Send 98TomFord an AOL message  Reply with Quote
A Thomas/Ford eh? I have abotu 40 toys/models I consider all to be in one fleet, all ranging from small ones to bigger ones. The best on in my "fleet" is my 1998 Crown Carpenter Ford (1:43 scale & I dont' know what year it's suspose to be, but 98 sounds better than 96 so...hehe) CrownSupercoach, do you have pics of this Thomas/Ford? I'd be interested in seeing them Thanks! SuperiorFreak06@Aol.Com

My Ford Can Turn On $50, Can Your Int? ~Ford Buses - Gems To The Eyes~
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  10:43:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
This is a topic for Bob to reply to!

LOL! It sure is!

My bus model fleet began in 1996. I collected a lot of the Road Champs city and transit buses for about four years. Then I found out they stopped making them. I have about 200 of those. All of them are labeled and numbered as Laidlaw buses for the next town over (when the next town over used Laidlaw). All of them have a Laidlaw 6-digit asset number. These buses are the AmTran REs. I also have 25 of the Road Champs International/Wayne buses which are AmTran convetnionals and also are labeled similarly to the Road Champs city and transit buses. I also have about 30 other toy buses that are about the same size of these buses that are also labeled. They are AmTran FE buses. I completed this phase of my collection in 2000.

In 2001, I bought about 160 Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDs. I labeled 114 of them to "replace" the Road Champs city and transit buses. So the 114 Thomas buses are labeled just like the Road Champs buses. This would be the "current" fleet that represents the next town over if they were still using Laidlaw. All of these buses have a 6-digit asset number and I even went as far as to make a ton of bus files relating to these buses. Some of the files include mileage and engine hours tracking for each year for 12 school years. I also made many other files relating to these buses.

I also built a fake office and maintenance facility. I used the big boxes that the Thomas buses were shipped in and put posterboard over the boxes and drew windows, doors, and garage doors on the posterboard. I also set up some fences, fuel pumps, and lights for the "bus yard".

All of my buses for my bus collection are stored in one room. The Road Champs buses are in one end of the room, and the Thomas buses are at the other end of the room. Too bad they weren't real buses! lol
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  8:56:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I guess Bob has the largest!!

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  9:10:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
160 HDX's..... hmm, I hope you got a discount.

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  9:17:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bob, they must loooooove you at Thomas! I was just doing a little math, let's see...160 times $20....oh my God! I hope they gave you a hefty discount. Or at least free shipping. Will you expand your fleet with the C2's? Anyway, awesome!

I had to smile when you mentioned that you have records regarding your fleets milage and engine hours. For awhile I had makeshift schedules and routes for my fleet. I gave that up when my fleet passed the 25 mark. Hmmm...but with computers these days....

Ted

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  9:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aww, come on, what's $3,200?

Go to Top of Page

SuperiorGMC1963
Top Member

USA
1079 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2003 :  9:34:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So that's where Thomas got the money to develop the C2!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  08:31:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

Excuse me? I'm sure it took a lot more money than that to develope that marvel of engineering!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  10:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
LOL...Well, let's just say my savings account was nearly depleted after paying for those HDXs.

I plan on buying some C2s -- definitely not as many as the HDXs! But, I have to be honest, I kind of regret buying all those HDXs. I could've put that money towards a "real" bus. Now I have to start all over with building up my savings account again.

Those bus files took almost a year for me to complete. I mean, 114 buses is a lot to keep track of!
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  11:40:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Not to mention those specs you wrote out, to the littlest details!

Mike's Bus Yard - http://buses.zwebpages.com - Since 1999
Go to Top of Page

BlueBird16
Top Member

USA
501 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  9:10:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As of today I have 104 buses in my fleet that I have re-created to look like buses actually on the road. A few of you on here have one or two that I have made. I have one entire bookshelf that is all BB. I also have one big shelf for Thomas, IC/AmATran, Carpenter and Corbeil. I love my buses.

Edited by - BlueBird16 on 12/21/2003 9:12:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2003 :  10:29:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SuperiorGMC1963

Maybe to make the model, lol. And Bob made labels for each of his buses. I made some for my 20 buses and kept some records.

Edited by - SchoolBusFan on 12/21/2003 10:34:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 12/23/2003 :  5:26:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
There are most of my buses
http://www.geocities.com/wardfordschoolbus/buswall.html?1072238118630
Anybody ever build buses out of legos? How do they turn out? I once built a 3 ft. long one. It had working steering, and an air operated jacknife door. Took a few weeks to figure out how to get that to work, but I managed, it weighed a lot, but was fun.

My Personal Fleet
1985 Ward Ford #1 Lexington Local - 1990 Wayne International NO.2 Walton-Verona - 1992 Ward Senator NO.4 Walton-Verona *SOLD*

Edited by - Chris on 12/23/2003 7:58:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

SchoolBusFan
Top Member

USA
1769 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  8:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit SchoolBusFan's Homepage  Send SchoolBusFan an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Saw your pictures and your first and second buses you ever rode. You've got a lot of buses in your room, and you're lucky to have your first and second buses you've ever rode on. I wish I had a picure of mine.

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2003 :  9:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Ill never forget bus 2 and 4, if 2 was ever sold at my school, I might consider putting a bid in on it, same with 4, just because of the mimories.

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

72Corsair
Top Member

USA
698 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2003 :  12:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a fleet of 12 buses. 3 I bought theyre toys but they look neat. and the rest i built. I number them randomly.All of my buses i keep at my house on a shelf.All are Carps and a wayne
Go to Top of Page

ltrain2001

139 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  6:44:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there everyone!
I bought a model bus from the flea market the other day, it is one of those with the 4 ways overhead instead of the 8 ways. The 4 ways used to light up and Twinkle Twinkle Little Star played, but since I didn't want to hear the music i took the bus apart and disabled the sound chip. In the process, I inadvertently must have shorted my lights out. but oh well I have a bus that looks like a 90 Thomas/IHC with the 4 way overheads. I numbered it 90-99

my other model buses are as follows
87-119,88-143,88-C157,and 89-199
BlueBird/IHC
89-889
BlueBird AAFE (bank)
90-469
Wayne/IHC (RoadChamps)
98-202& 00-333
Thomas/IHC
02-C697,02-C955, 01-519,02-873
Thomas RE
the C in the number designates that they should be used for charters since the stop signs broke off.

sounds like fun,eh?
Go to Top of Page

ltrain2001

139 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  6:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wardfordschoolbuses, could you please post a larger pic of your bus wall? I would like to see in detail your entire collection if you could be so kind as to enlarge the pic.
Also, could you share with me where you got those models from? I seem to be only to find the same few on all the sites.
thanks.
L.T.
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2004 :  7:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ltrain2001

wardfordschoolbuses, could you please post a larger pic of your bus wall? I would like to see in detail your entire collection if you could be so kind as to enlarge the pic.
Also, could you share with me where you got those models from? I seem to be only to find the same few on all the sites.
thanks.
L.T.

Check back tomorrow afternoon, I'll do it then, no problem!

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  10:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by B. Busguy33

LOL...Well, let's just say my savings account was nearly depleted after paying for those HDXs.

I plan on buying some C2s -- definitely not as many as the HDXs! But, I have to be honest, I kind of regret buying all those HDXs. I could've put that money towards a "real" bus. Now I have to start all over with building up my savings account again.

Those bus files took almost a year for me to complete. I mean, 114 buses is a lot to keep track of!

There a C2s model? If so where can I buy some? thanks

~Georgia Drivers Together We Fly High~
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  12:41:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thomas00, this should answer your question: (an email regarding models)
Dear Model Bus Seeker;

Thank you for asking about our new Thomas Saf-T-Liner® type “D” (flat nose) 1/54th scale die cast model bus. Follow the steps below if you would like to purchase our model. It is available all yellow with black side rails, yellow with a white roof, or as an activity bus with a white base color and three color paint scheme in red, dark blue and light blue.

We also have a 1/54th scale die cast model of the new Saf-T-Liner C2 type C school bus. It is yellow with black side rails and a white roof.

Send a money order or cashier’s check payable to Thomas Built Buses, Inc. along with a note describing your request and a complete street address for shipping your model. The price is $20.00 for each model (includes shipping)
Send your request and check to:

Thomas Built Buses, Inc.
P.O. Box 2450
High Point, NC 27261
Attn: Allan Haggai

Your model will be shipped as soon as your check arrives. Expect delivery 2-3 weeks from the time your request is mailed to us.

Thank you!

Allan Haggai
Manager, Marketing and Sales Support

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page

Chris
Top Member

USA
1013 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2004 :  1:07:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Chris's Homepage  Send Chris an AOL message  Click to see Chris's MSN Messenger address  Send Chris a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
L.T. here is the picture you requested...

Really, all of those buses can be found in a toy store, or just out and about somewhere. The ones I ordered are the 3 Blue Bird All American banks, and I got 2 of them from Diggs Enterprise, you can have the sides personalized with whatever you want them to say, the other of the 3 came from www.bluebirdgear.com , it is not personalized, but was cheaper than the 11 or so dollar personalized one. You can also request a free catalog from Diggs Enterprise, beacuse the bank is not available through their web site, www.diggsenterprise.com . The Thomas Freightliner model came from www.diecastdirect.com , search for "school bus" and it should come up. The Thomas ER and HDX came from Thomas, you can find out how to get them in the last post I did (the email). I have a C2 model on the way. If you would like more information on a specific bus, or a close up picture, feel free to ask.

Chris

My Personal Fleet
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000