Durham's Safety, Worker Rights Record Challenged
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2003 :  6:18:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Teamsters From Across the United States Expose Corporate Abuses By Former UTEP Football Star at Game Today

Sept 27 2003
WASHINGTON (PRNewswire) -- Teamsters today took former UTEP football hero turned corporate executive Larry K. Durham to task for systematic abuses of safety and worker rights at his North American transport company, National Express (London: NEX).

National Express, known better in Texas under its subsidiary name Durham School Services, provides school bus service, public transportation and paratransit services throughout the United States.

"It's a shame that Larry Durham will spend millions of dollars on an athletic facility in his name while putting workers and children on his school buses in danger," said Skip Joaquin, Representative of Teamsters Local 78 that represents about 150 Durham bus drivers in Hayward and Livermore, CA.

"We feel that it is vital that families in Texas be aware that Larry Durham is no hero," said Rich Piglowski, Secretary-Treasurer of Teamsters Local 610 in St. Louis, MO where Durham bus drivers have struggled to win union representation. "School bus drivers have a tremendous responsibility safely transporting our nation's children, they should not have to endure abusive treatment on the job."

In a 2002 inspection of buses in Hayward, CA for example, 20% of Durham's buses inspected by the CA Highway Patrol were pulled out of service for serious safety violations including: cracked frame, faulty emergency doors and leaking steering fluid. In another example, 43% of buses were found defective during a recent Highway Patrol inspection at a St. Louis Durham facility.

Durham workers have endured abuses including illegal firings and have struggled in both California and Missouri for a contract that will provide decent working conditions.

In 2002 National Express Corp. earned $52.2 million in profits from its U.S. operation. The company contracts with 374 public agencies, runs a fleet of more than 14,000 vehicles in 31 states, and employs 22,000 people in the U.S. It is the nation's third largest school bus company.

Founded in 1903, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents more than 1.4 million hardworking men and women in the United States and Canada.

SOURCE International Brotherhood of Teamsters
Web Site: http://www.teamster.org

Click Here to find out The #1 reason school bus drivers quit

Edited by - JK on 09/27/2003 6:22:06 PM

DURHAMIZED

55 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  01:30:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a crock ......"systematic abuses"

1. National Express is the parent company of SEVERAL corporations, Durham School Services is only one of them.
2. Larry Durham does not own National express, he is an officer.
3. The stats given are for National Express NOT for Durham School Services. Durham School Services is in 20 states not 31. The EXACT sentence of stats came off the home page of National express. www.nationalexpresscorp.com
4. Missouri is an "employer at will" state. Virtually the only "illegal" firing can be for discrimination. For which teamsters gives no explanation of their description of illegal.
5. ALL Durham School Services employees sign a paper in our handbook that we understand & will abide by Durhams Safety first Culture. The last page states employment is "at will" and is very detailed and very specific about every safety issue, the consequences of following policy & procedure and very much expects safety first from all employees.

It is no secret across this state that teamsters have been trying very hard for over a year to get the St Louis contract. Maybe I need to be the one to write them & explain what "out of service" means.
For the 2 high rate safety inspections that are listed - if you look close - 20% of ONE location in California were put out of service, NOT ALL locations. I wonder how many of those were much lower than 20%.
Then if you look close at the Missouri quote of 43% - they only say "defective". That could be anything very small that went back through the line 10 minutes later after a lightbulb was changed or anything else. I do know for a fact that if 43% of St Louis buses were put out of service, which is how this guTeamsters wants you read it - THAT would be in every headline across the US because it would shut the school district down.
Another example.......A nearby location who is Durham - put 50% of its buses out of service last spring.....the contract has a fleet of TWO. It was OOS for nearly 1 hour because 1 leg of a seat had to be welded back & the driver apparently didn't know this is an OOS defect.
Our location of 40 got 100% as well as 4 other locations nearby. I saw a memo in the office congratulating a large number of Missouri contracts who got 100% with spring inspections by the HP but for some reason Mr Piglowski forgot to mention us in his letter.

recent inspection??? Missouri statutes require the Highway patrol inspections to be done in Feb/Mar. August inspections are done by a state licensed DOT inspecter, not the HP....

Another thing I can also say is, after National Express bought out several school bus companies, many of them had alot of employees who had a VERY hard time adjusting to the very strict safety requirements, when Durham School Services was formed and yes, I'd say some locations most likely did clean house.

Does it sound odd to anyone else, that these drivers at St Louis have "struggled to win unionization" AFTER National Express bought out their former company and when they had to start following set policies & strict safety requirements, NOW want to unionize??? Teamsters has drug this fight out for a couple years now, its old news around here. I guess the 6 months has passed since they were voted down last & they can legally try again.

Also, Durham school Services is the largest monetary annual sponsor for the Special Olympics and last summer had over 700 employees that went & volunteered as well. I am not sure, but I think I remember something about a stadium being built & donated for this...........

No employer is perfect. But after reading so many of the posts here & many of the things that drivers here go through - I feel very lucky to work for a company that DOES WITHOUT A DOUBT, put safety first and has many perks as well.
Opportunity to advance,the opportunity to transfer to ANY location across the US. A safety committee at most all locations to address issues, a safety incentive program that allows employees who are accident free to earn points to get a large variety of items from a catelog from small things like umbrellas, tshirts, flashlights (small end - 1 month worth of points) to larger things like a Foreman grill, day off, parka, etc. (large end, 7-12 mos worth of points).

Durham has alot of the "small things" they do that make you feel appreciated & I wont keep going on those. As far as pay - for my area, we are paid what I consider a little less than average - but in 2 years we have had only 1 driver leave, who moved out of state and we are lucky we have no turnover. Here we are backed by Durham, our supervisor & the school district we serve and I guess the little things DO make a difference.

I am sorry I got pretty lengthy with this, but after reading this article & knowing about the StLouis problems (and knowing some of the details that I shouldnt pass along)
as well as inacuracies in the entire article, it is not fair to those of us that are very happy and ACTUALLY like who we work for and do make safety our highest priority.

There are also many Durham locations who are unionized - thats great for them, unionization can sometimes be the answer & more power to them in St Louis - but if this is the tactics that Teamsters uses, I have no use for them.

Edited by - DURHAMIZED on 09/28/2003 01:56:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  11:05:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good points DURHAMIZED.

I seem to recall that 150 Laidlaw bus drivers wildcatted in St. Lewis and that action had nothing to do with a union:

Yolanda Brown, business manager for Laborers' Local 509 which represents the drivers, said she received no advance warning of the walkout. "The union has nothing to do with the drivers not being at work today," Brown said Wednesday. "This is not something authorized." --The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, January 22, 2003

What was those bus drivers reasoning for doing such a thing?

It is also no secret across your state and other states that school bus drivers are fighting for better pay, workable benefits and professional treatment - and that school bus drivers initiated contacting unions, not the other way around. It would seem that the bus drivers, "have been trying very hard for over a year to include union representation in the St Louis contract."

I would suspect some of what you are saying is right on the mark and specific to your workplace. However, probably should remain restrained to accept all of it, just as you've demonstrated that the story in this thread needs a closer look.

After all, it would appear the number one reason school bus drivers quit may not be pay, laziness or indifference toward the safety of children. (jk)

Click Here to find out The #1 reason school bus drivers quit

Go to Top of Page

DURHAMIZED

55 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  1:46:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JK,

I agree with exactly what you are saying.
There are MANY drivers who are continuously fighting for better pay, benefits & professional treatment.
After writing that, I believe, I was more irritated at the Teamsters for putting this article out with verifiable lies about Durham School Services statistics, safety compliance & standards they expect of every employee. The article reflects on all of us who work our tails off everyday.

The Headline reads "Teamsters from across the US expose Corporate abuses" Yet the 2 reps in the article JUST happen to be reps who have been unable to gain 3 contracts in CA and MO who also JUST happen to be contracted by Durham School Services. Durham DOES have locations unionized and most likely those contracts will be at some point. But anytime a company is bought out/taken over by another and the new company requires CHANGE and many cry out UNION!
Which was my point of explaining, the coincidences. Where was Teamsters when these locations were School Services & Leasing, Durham Trans, Crabtree Harmon or any of the others?? Now? we are crying Union! I for one welcomed with open arms the support, defined policies & procedures, but most of all the Safety First requirement of everyone when National Express bought our company and gave one name to the "several" school bus companies they bought. NO I am sorry I didnt miss or feel sorry for the many negative, this-aint-fair, we-need-a-union, they-wont-fire-me, they-need-me , i'll-do-what-I always-have attitudes of unhappy people who could not adjust to change and realize there were drivers losing their jobs because they refused to accept that safety first was no longer voluntary but now expected and required. This has been no secret across this state that StLouis drivers did not take these things well. St. Louis though was not the only place, all these upset drivers at this point around here started crying union AFTER the changes. Our pay, benefits, immediate supervisors did NOT change - only the name of the company and the ladder that went up from each location or as Larry Durham has put in writing - DOWN. The drivers are at the top of this ladder & its in the company handbook with a letter from him of the importance of every driver)

Teamsters also ASSUMED Larry Durham as an individual is the owner (pointing out the stadium, previously owned business Durham Trans, etc) "they want the folks of Texas to know he is no hero"
PUULLEEZZ! - this is about the level of play I expect from my children. Is he my hero, NO - I have a different definition of heros, but I admire the man & his accomplishments and know for a fact that safety is his very highest priority because of who I work for, as well as the mans accomplishments speak high volumes.

I assume your quote "probably should remain restrained to accept all of it" means you don't believe everything I wrote here. Which is fine. I know I got pretty windy on trying to explain my views & trying to convince others those as well. (huge downfall I have - after editing this twice, I'll get off the details of my employer )

I don't always catch myself, but I try very hard to specify when something is my opinion, something I've been told or something I know for fact and can usually be backed up with solid proof.

I respect your opinion & have read things here for about a year or two, but don't usually reply or get involved. I have started participating more in the past couple months or so & mainly stick to issues that are more safety or employee related. There is so much here that seems like black & white issues to me because I have been lucky to work for a company who believes in solid & continual training and I sometimes forget that those issues aren't so clear cut to others as well as understanding not everyone knows what its like to have continual support behind you all the time.

I am also very aware of why the #1 reason school bus drivers quit (I use resources on your site on a regular basis) and don't have the answers for "pay, laziness or a clue of understanding why drivers are indifferent toward the safety of children" when the consequences of that indifference, lack of proper training or laziness are the very articles on the news & in papers everyday as statistics.

Thanks for listening - Have a SAFE week!

ps: after re-reading your post, I have no idea about the Laidlaw drivers wildcatting. I met several Laidlaw drivers from the StLouis area this summer, but they were drivers in the suburbs and very proud to represent Laidlaw. So I am going to only "speculate" and guess that my opinion would be maybe the "StLouis School District & what the details of services they contract for could vary widely, as they are the largest district in Missouri, but per pupil funding could be at a lower level. The state budget cuts are naturally affecting everyone, but I have read recently other school districts in the state are suing or planning to sue ourlawmakers over the very large inequitable way funding is appropriated and all children are not even coming close to having the same level of education state-wide because of this......
Just a guess & something I don't know much details about.

Edited by - DURHAMIZED on 09/28/2003 3:17:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2003 :  4:46:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DURHAMIZED

... I assume your quote "probably should remain restrained to accept all of it" means you don't believe everything I wrote here. Which is fine. I know I got pretty windy on trying to explain my views & trying to convince others those as well. (huge downfall I have )

It means that your experience at your workplace may not be sufficient to speak for ABC fleets everywhere, but does speak well for your employer at your workplace.

Although a bad bus driver is still bad, a bad manager can contaminate an individual barrel (fleet) of bus drivers in short order.

And this does not mean your workplace or your opinion about your workplace is somehow lacking. There are fleets everywhere that, like your workplace, bus drivers are treated decently.

The fleet I'm most familiar with went through some eight years of bus driver-driven, parent-driven, school staff and new transportation management-driven processes toward change. The union was replaced with an effective union that then also contributed toward supportive and effective treatment of school bus drivers and all students on the buses.

Seems now, a few years after achieving a worthwhile change, requires some diligence to maintain a healthy workplace and bus environment. Kinda like our lawns - ignore your lawn and the weeds and unwanted vines quickly return.

New drivers have no clue of the persistent effort so many in my community pursued for so long to make the workplace conductive to professionalism, the recognizable decent treatment of school bus drivers in our community, and the support to help keep kids safe more knowledgeable and effective.

And so, sometimes I would think the very best bus drivers are like dedicated growers. They must study and plant the orchard, tend to it day-by-day, not knowing for sure if a harvest will come. A potential disaster of one sort or another seems present all too often.

The pickers and the consumers see the fruit and some are attracted to it. But the growers and the earth know that fruit well and the work that went into bringing it to such a delicious achievement.

We don't have to know all about everything, yet, if what we see is good then we should know it probably came from a great orchard and much labor went into helping that product become so tasty. If this is not the case, but what looked good turns out to be an illusion, then perhaps we should watch out for a talking snake lurking about.

There is no excuse for the maltreatment of bus drivers, school staff, parents or kids. Where one group is mistreated all will eventually end up mistreated.

If we accept that as little as one rotten apple can contaminate an entire barrel of superb apples, when left in that barrel to act out it's contaminating recipe, then we can accept what must happen next.

And so it would seem that one violent kid on the bus is sufficient to disrupt the safe environment on that bus. And when the adults ignore what should happen next, to the point it doesn't happen, then what happens?

Does the the violence spread to other kids, other buses, home, school, into the community at large, until the entire fleet is worse off? Does ignoring decent and effective treatment of the violent and defiant student make things better for anyone, including the violent student?

I would think it can be indecent, irresponsible, neglectful and ineffective to ignore the bullies, the defiant and the violent.

Where a bus or a fleet of buses are out of control, we can reasonably assume a couple of things: Adults, not the kids, have more to do with those buses achieving an unsafe environment and eventually an unsafe workplace. But it is likely that in the beginning of the fall only one violent kid - adequately ignored - could eventually lead to a system of learned violence, disrespect and dishonor.

If it is acceptable that violence can start with one person, then it may also be true that one person confronting violence can still make a difference. Wherever the buses and bus environments are out of control can often be found some bus environments that are not out of control. On those buses can be found some seeds toward change.

That is what I believe is happening with some bus drivers and some transportation providers around this country. They've had enough of the nonsense and decided to make a difference on their buses. After some hard thought, some hard work and some risk-taking, the environment became safe for kids and adults on their buses.

But that's not enough for them, not for some anyway. They understand the principles involved and don't want their bus or fleet eventually recontaminated.

These are not likely to end their efforts until the environment on all school buses in every fleet are safe for kids and adults. And if for some reason it takes including a union to accomplish that end, then so be it. (jk)

Edited by - JK on 10/05/2003 2:35:45 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000