Mirror Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  12:50:26 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a few questions about Rosco Eurostyle mirrors.

1. Do all IC bodys come standard with them?

2. If they do, are they all power adjustable?

3. Does anyone have the eurostyle housing, and no power adjustment?

4. Whats the purpose of one mirror being overhang, and the other being base mounted?

5. Why don't florida buses have black mirror brackets?

I'm just asking out of pure curiosity.

-Thomas

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll try to answer your questions, in order.

1. No-they are optional with some builders
2. No- some are manually controlled
3. Yes- we have a few units, but most are power adjustable
4. Eliminating as many "blind" spots as possible. the top hung mirrors give most drivers a less restricted view of the road and situation in front of them.
5. Florida mirror spec require stainless steel brackets and fasteners to help prevent corrosion, which is a big problem in our moist climate. Even the best painted steel mirrors won't begin to last as long as the buses they are attached to, so we spec stainless to eliminate this issue.
Hope this helps and your curiosity is satisfied!
Joe

Joe
Land of the Free, because of the Brave!

Edited by - wagonmaster on 06/24/2003 2:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  4:29:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
4. Whats the purpose of one mirror being overhang, and the other being base mounted?

Great question. I saw a picture of a Blue Bird All-American RE from a Florida district that had the driver's side mirror overhung, like the entrance door side mirror. The picture of this bus was shown in an SBF magazine awhile ago. I think the theme of the article this bus appeared in had to do with lighting system options.

Most buses I see are set-up as you described: the driver's side mirror is "base-mounted" below the driver's window and the entrance door side mirror is overhung. This applies to the Rosco Eurostyle mirrors.

Anyway, to add an interesting observation, I noticed when Laidlaw bought their AmTran REs with these mirror systems, they spec'd them to have the same set-up as I described in the above paragraph. During this school year, I noticed that they had switched the mounting of the driver's side mirror so now it is mounted above the driver's window, rather than below it. The purpose of this was to eliminate a blind spot, I believe. Now they look similar to the Integra style mirrors found on the Thomas Saf-T-Liner HDXs!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  5:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the responses. I have always found it interesting how everyone specs the mirror systems so differently.

For some reason, not due to Virginia Spec, virginia mirror systems have always been a little bit different, untill the early 90s when the double nickle and euro style mirrors have become popular. On conventional buses, blue bird mirrors were always wierd, because the door side mirror was always overhung (no brackets on the bottom of the mirror) and hung well infront of the bus, while the driver side mirror was bracketed on both the top and bottom, and was viewed through the drivers window.

Here is a picture of an 88 Blue Bird Conventional in Virginia:
http://www.sonnymerryman.com/images/88D_Int_BBD_64p10.jpg

Thomas conventionals always had both mirrors infront of the windshield (viewed through the windshield, not through the side window, and again, were only bracketed from the top, not on the bottom.

Here is a picture of a 91 Thomas Conventional:
http://www.sonnymerryman.com/images/91D_Ford_Thom_64P_3.JPG

Waynes were also wierd. Here is an 88 conventional:
http://www.sonnymerryman.com/images/88FordWay54L-4.jpg

And finally a 1984 Virginia Ward Conventional:
http://www.schoolbusweb.com/AmTran/0303_1.htm

Again, these mirror setups are not in Virginia specs, it just happened that they were built like this.

-Pictures from the School Bus Web site, and SonnyMerryman

=
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  6:54:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I personally prefer the double nickle mirrors both moutned out in front of the bus. My first two buses were Waynes, they just had the old 7x16 flat but were out in front on both sides. My third bus old 86 had the 7x16 flat on both sides, the drivers side was viewed out the side window, I'm not as crazy about that setup. Since 98 we've speced Thomas buses with the double nickles out in front on each side, I just love that setup.

For some reason I just do not like the Rosco mirrors, I like the looks of them but don't like the mirrors themselves. I have noticed that eveyrone I've seen in person has the drivers side bottom mounted out the side window, I would spec them both to be overhung out in front of the bus.

On a side note we have one International IC and we speced it to have double nickes and the half circle crossview mirrors, it seems a lot of them have the roscos with the full circle crossview mirrors. That's another item I don't like are the full circle crossview mirrors.

Our HDX has the integra style mirrors, I like how everything is all together on that bus and I was ok with the mirrors themselves. On a side note I was told you could still spec the double nickes on that bus if you wanted them, I'm not sure on that.

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

klooker

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  7:57:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit klooker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rosco makes at least 2 sizes of Eurostyle mirrors for school busses. You can view them at http://commerce1.cera.net/tacbusparts/sections/catalog/catalog.asp?cat_id=562

Kevin Looker
www.tacbusparts.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000