New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2003 :  4:30:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
SBF is working on an article about injuries and medical problems at school bus operations. We would very much appreciate any feedback from the following questions:

What are the most common types of injuries or medical risks to school bus drivers and school bus mechanics?

What can be done to prevent these from occurring on the job?

Do you know of any training or programs to help prepare for or guard against job-related injuries?

How can an operation limit its liability in on-the-job accidents and medical problems?

What should the course of action be for a driver or mechanic if he or she suffers some type of work-related ailment?

Thanks for all your help.

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2003 :  10:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SBF,

I'm somewhat surprised you're not getting an abundant amount of feedback on this issue. I've had good success with injuries, initially denied, by obtaining the services of a "Personal Injury" attorney. Too many injured workers have the mentality, I'm sorry to say and mean no harm by it, but like me have the mentality of a moron when
it comes to dealing with WC. It took several slaps to the face from WC for me to finally understand that WC works for the employer, NOT THE INJURED EMPLOYEE!!

Christine my be one good example of what can happen when the system ignores tending to the needs of injured workers. She also mentioned http://www.prairielaw.com/ which is actually http://www.lawyers.com/index.php The first result of a search at that site was a message to a Mr. Scott Clipper from a school bus driver. There are probably some success stories available from WC, still I would check how many of those success stories were actually a result of the injured worker getting adequate advice from a private personal injury attorney, and prior to WC attempts to rape the injured worker's mind. There are undoubtedly, failures when going the private recovery route as well. When not knowing what attorney to contact -- too many of the injured have no idea where to start and settle for the first attorney they can find interested in the case -- 5 grand up front of course. It's important to call around until finding an attorney that's so good and so booked solid that he or she can't take your case -- ask that attorney who might be best for you to contact. That attorney will have a small payment arrangement, work from a percentage of the settlement or some combination. In some states private attorney fees may be reimbursed by the state. At least look at the private attorney option before signing your future into the trash can with a WC attorney or no attorney in charge of your case. (jk)

Edited by - jk on 04/12/2003 8:43:59 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gary E. Davis

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2003 :  09:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At our district we have our school medical staff at the local hospital attend a full day with our trainers reviewing job duties such as wheel chairs and tie downs, opening doors, bus evacuations, bending, reaching, lifting, pre-trip inspections, sitting in drivers seat, switches, lift operations, emergency brake operations on both air and manual. Dress for the job is also includes as well as foot wear and weather.They also ride bus routes in both regular and special ed.
Our drivers are subject to a yearly physical and at that time the doctor knows and understands the requirements of our drivers.
We then send our staff members to our hospital rehabilitation services for a paid inservice on topics such as anatomy & Physiology, back injury risk factors, common causes of cummulative trauma disorders, principals of correct lifting and handling techniques, stretching, & symptom management.
Since we started this program our worker comp claims has been reduced by almost 40%.
We have set up programs for our staff in quitting smoking and weight loss. We have a health and safety committee that is active.We also have label reading sessions, diet inservices, anger management, & anything that will assist people, management or union we don't care.
We care for our staff members and we want them healthy. The sad part our absenteeism rate is one of the highest!Go figure!

Gary E. Davis
Go to Top of Page

macondriver
Top Member

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  5:19:26 PM  Show Profile  Send macondriver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
most common injury at our contracts hands down...slip and fall.. injuries to the back, leg, ankle, foot .on the steps of the bus rain makes them slippery and in the winter when you drive moisture and slush creeps in at the very botton of the door and forms a layer of ice, i have seen many kids as well as drivers and monitors slip and fall because of that,,,for the rain you could apply those non-slip strips but i don't know what to do about the ice i fought it all winter and warned every single child to watch the last step because of the ice. all injurys should be handled the same report to supervisor, have injury checked and have a drug test

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000