Enter Forum: Safety Issues and Drivers' Concerns
 how about students running behind bus?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  07:32:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an incident where a student starting chasing the bus after getting off. Even after he crossed the street into his cul-de-sac, he was chasing behind it when we took off and after I told him to go home.

I said I was writing him up and one of his friends said I can't do that because he is not on school property. But what does an 11-year-old now?

This student can be injured badly if the bus breaks down all of a sudden.

What is your input?

PHW
Top Member

USA
1345 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  07:45:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are responsible for the safety of kids around our bus 100% of the time. The schools carry a amount of responsibility for kids from the time they leave home to the time they get home.

PHW

Child Check For Life
Go to Top of Page

JK
Top Member

USA
7307 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  09:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit JK's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Very good answer PHW. The list of kids struck by cars or run over by their own school bus while chasing it is getting longer each passing year. There are examples in SBF's Breaking News thread, and some examples at In Loving Memory:

http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/ilmem1.htm

(jk)

Free school bus safety slide show and booklet:

http://www.geocities.com/2safeschools/train/bustop/index.html

Edited by - jk on 04/04/2003 09:53:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2003 :  2:49:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In another district I worked in a middle school student had been running alongside the bus after being dropped off each afternoon. He had a game where he jumped up and held onto the window ledge and stayed on until he lost his grip. One day he fell under the rear duals and was crushed. Although he survived, he had a broken pelvis, broken legs, and internal injuries so severe he will wear a colostomy bag for life. The driver claimed she never noticed the student doing this and was devastated when it happened.

Children should NEVER be permitted to run after a bus!

Go to Top of Page

MrsBuslady

Canada
28 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  5:44:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a constant problem with children running up to my bus as I am pulling out of the school. There is a huge line up of vehicles trying to pull out and I have kids running up to the bus banging on the door. I have talked to the principal over and over again and I wont let the students board the bus, but it still happens at least once a week. It's always the 12-14 yr olds. This principal needs a wake up call. The parents also cross with their kids in between the buses parked in the loading zone. No matter how close we park to each other, if there is room in between our bumpers, they'll pass through it. Some parents and principals are clueless.

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2003 :  07:50:20 AM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have never had this problem at a passenger stop, but we have a constant issue with this at our high school loading zone. All buses pull up to the loading zone, and it usually looks like a wild animal zoo! Kids are there, not supervised, and they grab the windows of the buses while pulling off, slap the rear of the buses, jump out in front of the buses, etc. We have discussed this is our supervisor, but they do not take it serious. Even our school resourse officer will talk to the kids, but end of joking and laughing with them. Like I said in a previous post, neither of our supervisors have their CDL or bus certificate and have no clue how dangerous this is for students to do this. We have thought about going to the school board with this, but most of the time, if you go over their head, we get put on the scrap list. So, we drivers just go slow and watch our mirrors forever while at the loading zone. I have scolded the kids myself real hot and heavy, only to have my supervisor tell me to calm down, calm down, I will take care of it.

Don't you guys love to hear me gripe??

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us." PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!

Go to Top of Page

ltrain2001

139 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  9:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One idea to address this is to board one or two buses at a time, from separate entrances of the building. Make the other buses' students wait inside for their own safety. Might not totally eliminate the crowd control but at least less people roaming around would hopefully make it safer.

Go to Top of Page

DURHAMIZED

55 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2003 :  9:58:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LJ, I would tell the 11 year old a child under your tires is also not on school property. I would also tell him, it has nothing to do with him & if he doesnt understand the safety rules, that I would be more than glad to go over them with him.

Also, to the parents trying to fit between the buses in the loading zone - lay on your horn when they're doing this. At the least honk & it may embarass them as you explain very briefly how dangerous this is & why we park that way. Even though drivers & most kids understand the dangers of this, most parents just don't know, because they've not been told.

Your student chasing the bus - follow through & write him up. It might make him think twice before trying it again.
Good luck!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000