Pre Checks - When do You Do Them ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Commander

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  6:15:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When is the correct time to do a Pre Check ?
Before the First Run of the Day ?
After the Last Run of the Day ?
In the Middle of the Day ?
I am interested in your thoughts & ideas on this topic.

center][/center]

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  6:49:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the standard for pretripping is before setting out on a route or other event like a trip.

For example...

Before your morning route
Before your late morning trip
Before your afternoon route

Then a post trip at the end of the day.

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.schoolbuscentral.com
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  7:13:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
According to your profile you are a training officer, I would assume you would know this. Pre means before, so that should be your first clue. A pre-trip should occur before any route, if you run an am and a pm each day then you will be doing two pre-trips, if you run three runs a day, an am, mid-day and pm, then you will be doing three a day. In addition to this there is a thing called post-trip inspections. Usually not as much is required as the pre-trip, but you do this after each run as well, check the interior for students and exterior for any problems that way they can be reported and if minor fixed before the next run.

The Thomas M2 Conventional- Coming to a bus yard near you in 2004!
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2003 :  9:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We are to do a pre-trip inspection of the bus prior to any route we are doing. I drive 4 routes per day, so I do 4 pre trip and 4 post trip inspections.

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us." PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  5:44:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I can understand the reasoning behind requiring 2 pre-trip inspections per day if you have an AM and PM route, but not 3 pre-trip inspections per day if you have an AM, mid-day, and PM route. In that case, I think only 2 pre-trip inspections should be required: one for the AM and one for the mid-day route.

Here's how I figure it for our area at least -- for the bus drivers that have AM, mid-day, and PM routes:

AM - pre-trip, en route from about 6:20 to 9:00 a.m.

Mid-day - pre-trip, en route from about 11:00 a.m. to 12:45 or 1:00 p.m.

PM - en route from about 1:45 to 4:15 p.m.

I can understand requiring a pre-trip for a mid-day route, but not for both a mid-day and PM route. In our area, only about 45 minutes to an hour elapses between the end of the mid-day and the beginning of the PM routes in most cases. Most drivers either go back to the bus yard and hang out there for awhile, go to their homes for a little while, or they just go to their first PM school route and wait until that school lets out for the day.

Even though I don't see the PM pre-trip feasible if the driver has a mid-day route, I can accept the fact that the driver should do a basic, simple walk-around to be sure there are no leaks, lights working, windows clean, tires and wheels in good shape, enough fuel in tank, etc., but I don't think a full, in-depth pre-trip inspection is necessary.

In addition, there are some drivers who take their buses home or to another place of work after their AM routes and don't return their bus to the bus yard until after their PM routes. I am sure some of those drivers don't do an in-depth pre-trip inspection for their mid-day and/or PM routes as they may do before their AM routes.

That's just my 3 cents on this issue.

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2003 :  7:28:38 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
The reasoning behind pre-tripping before each route is due to the fact our buses are parked on school grounds, with no supervision. We are parked in an un-gated, non-patrolled lot. Kids are in and out of the parking lot all day long.

My routes:

AM: 6:30 - 8:00
MID: 10:30 - 12:00
PM: 2:15 - 4:45
AS: (After School) 5:30 - 7:00

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us." PRAY FOR OUR TROOPS!!
Go to Top of Page

BPS_Driver
Advanced Member

USA
259 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2003 :  06:22:32 AM  Show Profile  Send BPS_Driver an AOL message  Reply with Quote
In Michigan we are required by law to perform a Pre- Trip inspection any time the bus si going to leave the lot for a route or field trip. With that in mind it is simple to say that when you are leaving you must pre- trip your bus- no questions asked, no arguments needed and above all just do it for the kids sake.

I see many driver's get in the seat, start the bus and go and realize after they left they have a red warning lamp out or a brake light out. I knwo we all see this but there is no true reason to allow this.

I do everything withinm 10 minutes and then I am done. I take the responsibility of my job seriously and these little things that we do can save a life!!

23 Million safe deliveries a day by all of us
Go to Top of Page

coolbusdriver
Top Member

Canada
1509 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2003 :  6:26:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Ontario we do our pre check before we leave on our Am route, (or what ever time of the day we go out) sign our log book and then we do not have to do one again on that bus no matter how often we take it out on the same day.
Our post trip involves making sure there are no kids still on the bus and sweeping it out.

A smile a day....keeps the kids wondering what you are up to!
Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2003 :  09:18:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Before you leave the yard for the first time of the day. For me it could be 6am or 2pm since I do charter work only.
Even thru the day if you are doing nothing go check something like tires or do a brake check...I'll do that sometimes.

Buslady
Crown Coach: The Energizer of buses, it just keeps going and going and going.....

Crown Coach Archive
http://crowncoach.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

schoolbustrainer

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2003 :  12:22:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we have to do a pre-trip when we do our first run of the day, we do not have to do another inless someone else uses our bus or we use another bus. I do a good pre-trip in tha a.m. then any time I leave the bus I do a quick one before I leave, just in case something happened (someone could have hit your bus) I only fill out the pre-trip book in the morning though. We have people who drive our busses to fuel them, you'll never know if they hit something, or even forgot to put the fuel cap back on (yes this has happened at our yard) that's why I always take a quick look around before I get in.

Go to Top of Page

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2003 :  2:44:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit 1599's Homepage  Send 1599 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
We do a Pre-Trip in the AM before first runs.
We are not required to do one in the PM before first PM run, since one has been done that day and if there is a problem with the bus you probably noticed it on your morning runs. We don't just jump in and take off later though - we look the bus over quickly first and make sure it's not been bothered while it was waiting on us - and watch all guages and such when we start it and build air.

Someone mentioned a post trip at the end of the day. I am not sure what a "post trip" is, unless they mean checking for students and student belongings? IF so, isn't that done after each run?

What do you mean you didn't see it? It's BIG, It's YELLOW and it's blinking like a Christmas Tree!
Go to Top of Page

writem-up

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2003 :  10:45:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
our company policy is: before your run, am, mid-day, and pm. all runs require a post-trip. the only time you don't have to pre-trip is if your sign off and next pull time is less than 1 hour. we have 15 minutes to pre-trip before pull time.

Go to Top of Page

LJ

85 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  2:44:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are instructed to do a pre-trip inspection everyday and check it off on our check off list. I always do mine in the morning. I also do a quick run-through before leaving for the afternoon pick up. My stop sign paddle is very vital because I pick up and drop off numerous students on a main road. And always, after a drop off at school and after dropping the last student off at home, check the seats for sleeping students and band instruments, etc. It takes but a minute to walk back look around and get back in the seat, worth every second!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000