BB All American FE Troubles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  08:49:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

Not sure if anyone might know what's going on with my bus, 98 BB AA FE. Here's the situation, Friday morning during my high school route I went to slow down for a stop sign, the bus acted as if it was going to die. I stepped on the gas and it continued to run normal until I let up off of it again. I finally made it to the high school which was only just a few blocks away, but I noticed when I pulled in that thick black smoke had started to pour out of my tail pipe. I called our mechanic for another bus, and then went to turn the bus off and it continued to run for about another 30-45 seconds. It spitted and sputtered until it died. Our mechanic is fairly new and I'm not sure he knows whats going on with it. I'm being told that it is going to the CAT dealer tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas ?

Jason

exCYter
Advanced Member

233 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  12:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bad fuel cutoff solenoid maybe?

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  4:21:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our brand new AA had a simular problem to yours about three months ago. What had happened was the turbo went out. It was very sluggish and there was heavy black smoke blowing out the tail end. When my driver finally finished her route, she had to pull over because the bus finally died.

Go to Top of Page

exCYter
Advanced Member

233 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  11:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why would it keep running though? A bad turbo wouldn't keeping the engine running after shutoff, would it?

I just thought maybe the solenoid had gone bad, sticking somewhere possibly? Then again, I'm not exactly a mechanic.

Go to Top of Page

Craig Thoricht

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  03:06:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello-

If indeed the turbo is the culprit what has happened is that on of the oil seals inside the turbo failed and engine lube oil leaked into the intake air going into the engine. Why it kept running is because the engine was continuing to use the oil in the intake air stream only until it was gone. The fuel shut off is working. Before you shut off the key the engine was running on both Diesel and engine oil, Hence the heavy smoke.
Thankfully almost all the old two stroke Detroit Diesels are a thing of the past-when a turbo or supercharger seal failed on those the engine would run away and many times blew themselves to bits of smoking steel. The trucks these were in were equipped with an emergency shut off for very good reason.
These new engines are big steps forward in technology.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2003 :  07:52:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the input guys,

My bus was towed to Columbus this morning to a CAT dealer. I'm hoping we will find out what's wrong with it in a day or so. I'll let you know what the problem was.

Go to Top of Page

BlueBirdDriver
Advanced Member

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  7:31:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBirdDriver's Homepage  Send BlueBirdDriver a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

My mechanic told me today that my bus is finished, so I'm going to go pick it up in the morning. I guess the problem was two injectors were bad. Again, thanks for your input.

Have A Good One

Jason
Bus 8

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000