Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Fueling in The Winter Months
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

soundfx1970

5 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  07:00:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello I am a driver who works in New York and I have a question concerning Fueling in The Winter Months. Our General Manager is forcing every driver to fuel on Friday due to the two day weekend gap, he says that the tanks can cause condensation and effect the buses performance. I also realize that if there isn't enough fuel in the tanks the fuel can gel up, but when you only drive an average of 50 to 60 miles a day, is it really necessary to fuel up on that Friday instead of the Thursday before? What is your Opinion?

William Johnston

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  12:16:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me it does not sound like it will matter either way, but he/she is the boss and it is little to ask.

William

Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2003 :  12:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello soundfx and welcome to SBF!!! Where do you drive in New York? (I am also a state resident)

Anyway, the contractor here also tries to make drivers fuel up on Friday's for the same reason. Of course, if you need to fill up before that, then do it.

---

School Bus Photos and Links: http://www.geocities.com/bluebird4eversbf

Go to Top of Page

Greyhairedoldsob

77 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2003 :  6:07:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The boss may be wrong, but he is still the boss!

As for having the tank full, it certainly can help prevent condensation, and if you do not have a plastic tank, rusting inside the tank.

As for fuel gelling, it is the fuel that gells, not the air in the tank. Gelled fuel in the tank does not hurt anything! It is because it is too "thick" to flow through the lines, filters, and pumps that causes us problems!

"A happy boss is much nicer to work for than an un-happy one"!

It's Friday, where is my fuel hose?

ASE Master School Bus, the only way to go!!
Go to Top of Page

bbird66
Top Member

USA
881 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2003 :  05:36:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I require my drivers to keep the tank half full or better during the winter months to keep the frost down inside of the tank. When you have huge temp. swings like we have had here in Wis. It can get frosty inside of the tanks and that gets in the water traps and freezes and it just snowballs from there.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000