New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  10:13:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is anyone else having trouble with these engines warming up? I have had trouble with this engine warming up since it was new in 2003. Recently I decided to remove one of the two thermostats, & block the passage, to try to help. No dice. We have a winter front on it and even have cardboard on the lower 2/3 of the radiator. Still doesn't get over 150F with temps in the teens. Any ideas are appreciated.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2019 :  12:06:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, so I've been talking to the guys over on the FB page for school bus mechanics. Someone suggested replacing the viscous clutch with a electric. Any ideas on how to go about doing this? I called one place that has clutches but they say they don't have a kit to change from one to the other.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  02:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

You will probably have to formulate your own conversion, or just copy something. Heavier duty setups are usually air operated.

You might try searching "fan clutch 3126 caterpillar" on this site, https://www.robertsandson.com/ and also their entire Engine Cooling/Fan Clutch section.

Edited by - Crown on 01/29/2019 02:30:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  05:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://catalog.hortonww.com/catalog/index.asp

The electromagnetic Horton Clutch is an EC-450. Do the fan drive product line search and enter your engine. Of course you would also need wiring harness and temp sensor to go along, on the IHs we changed over it all came in a kit but that was about 20 years ago.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 01/29/2019 05:45:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  06:59:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our 07-08 Visions/Cat C7 came with an electric fan clutch. That unit could provide you with options.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2019 :  10:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crown

You will probably have to formulate your own conversion, or just copy something. Heavier duty setups are usually air operated.

You might try searching "fan clutch 3126 caterpillar" on this site, https://www.robertsandson.com/ and also their entire Engine Cooling/Fan Clutch section.

I called these people and they said these aren't conversion kits.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000