Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Maxxforce DT Cacks Fuel Caps
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  06:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an 09 Maxxforce DT in a CE Bus that I had to chase for a fuel leak. I noticed that the plastic filter cap was cracked. I replaced it, cleaned the engine and road tested it. The driver drove it for a day and in the line-up it cracked again. I replaced the cap again, cleaned engine, and road tested again checking the fuel pressure (74 psi). I decided to bring it back in to change the rest of the filters, as we do annually, and while I was checking the trans. fluid I heard a pop and fuel was spraying out of another cracked cap. The bus good. I don`t know to look for an injector seal or the pressure regulator at this point. Any advice appreciated. I have never had an issue with any of our I/C buses with caps. Thanks

Edited by - Bus Tech1 on 09/10/2018 1:39:58 PM

willism
Advanced Member

United States
250 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  08:38:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit willism's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check that the vent tube isn't clogged or pinched some how. Every ce bus i have has metal fuel caps minus my type A buses
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  10:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
believe he means the cap on the filter module (housing).

you might need to replace the entire fuel module assy (filter housing), there is a pressure regulator located inside the module (some are replaceable, others aren't). also there's a air bleed off orifice near the top of the housing where the filter goes in, might be clogged. remove the filter and check inside bowl(housing) for debris.

also aftermarket filters wreak havoc with these, best to use oem filters.

here's a pdf explaining it all: www.navistarlearning.com/dotnet/application/downloadcontent2.aspx?flag=&content_id=15437

Edited by - kummins on 09/04/2018 10:24:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  12:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoke with our 2 Int. dealers. Best advise I could get was replace the module. Neither service department had ever experienced this happening. I have the module off and one on the way tomorrow. Also blew back through the return line to make sure it was clear. We`ll see.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2018 :  12:56:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the training manual! I must have missed that one. It has a lot of good information in it.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech1

76 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2018 :  10:18:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I replaced the fuel module and checked fuel pressure at port(74psi). Road tested and put back on the route. No problems so far.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000