Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 door warning buzzers?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  11:48:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2002 Thomas rear engine Saf-T-Liner that has a buzzer going off that comes from the door/windows but is only about half the tone of the door/window alarm. I can open a door or window and it will get louder when the d/w is open but then stay on at half the tone when the d/w is closed. There is a buzzer at the fuse panel and at the emergency exit door half way back on the drivers side and both alarms are going off. anyone know what might be causing this? I have had problems in the past with the rear window switch getting moisture in it and causing this problem but I have removed the switch and the buzzers still go off. all other doors, windows and hatches sound the alarm like normal but then go to the half tone when closed.

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  1:24:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now disconnected all door, hatch and window latches from the system and I am still getting the half buzzer. I have also swapped out buzzers to see if I had one grounding internally somehow. Stumped, must have a rubbed wire somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  1:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, somewhere you have an unintended path to ground. Both front and L side still buzz? On my 01-02 Thomas buses the wires go through grommets that sometimes ride up onto the wire and no longer protect...
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2018 :  4:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a few of that vintage that rubbed the wire going from the curtain rail up and over to the roof hatch. I had to drop the inside trim ring of the hatch to find and repair it

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  04:51:22 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Is your bus equipped with a vandal lock at the rear window? Wing handle and a contact plate to lock rear window. The contact plate is insulated from the window frame by a plastic strip and plastic bushings, with pop rivets through the holes on the back side is a wire on one of the rivets.
Corrosion builds between the plastic and the window frame to cause a path to ground very low amperage. Clean the contact area with contact cleaner and an air gun until the buzzing stops. If the corrosion is bad enough you may have to remove the plates and make new parts from plastic insulators and strips, I get mine from the paper bin boxes at our local hardware store.
As this is part of the rear door / window both front and rear buzzers are involved.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  09:00:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Found it, the rear window vandal lock was my first stop but it was not it this time (I have had plenty of problems with them in the past). It was the side emergency door vandal lock. The switch has the exposed terminals and it had enough dust on it combined with all the rain we have been having the dust was saturated with condensation that it was enough to cause a slight short. blew all the saturated dust off and my faint buzzer quit. I will replace the switch with a closed terminal style switch and put everything else back together.
Go to Top of Page

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2018 :  09:11:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by waverlybus

The switch has the exposed terminals and it had enough dust on it combined with all the rain we have been having the dust was saturated with condensation that it was enough to cause a slight short.

That was going to be my suggestion, lol.

I have had that a number of times on my older trucks- and only when it rains. :)
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2018 :  8:07:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had the same problem with our FS65 Freightliners 2005-07. the buzzers are sensitive to low voltage. I believe that should be a plastic round bodied buzzer. Every time it rained or the bus was washed, the buzzers may come on at low volume. We switched the buzzers for the bluebird style buzzer, no more problem!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000