Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 saf-t-liner fuel gauge intermittent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  1:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 2002 Thomas Saf-t-liner that the fuel gauge goes to empty intermittently. I have replaced the sending unit in the tank but it still acts up for the driver. When it is in the shop it always reads correctly, go figure. Does anyone have access to a wiring schematic that I can see to check wires from the cluster to the sending unit? I am thinking its probably a problem with the gauge cluster itself but don't have any way to double check my hypothesis.

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2018 :  2:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Check the wiring back under the fuel pump access for chaffing. common problem on EF

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2018 :  12:01:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bluebirdvision what does the EF stand for, engine front? Mine is a rear engine. Are you talking about the hipop on the engine, ours do not have a lift pump that I am aware of. there are just supply, return and vent lines in the tank with a simple two wire sending unit. The wires form the sending unit run into the main harness that runs the length of the bus and I am unsure where they go form there. I know the wires are not chafed from the sending unit to where they go into the main harness.
Go to Top of Page

waverlybus

94 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2018 :  08:36:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
problem was a bad fuel tank ground. ran a ground wire from the sending unit mounting to the body structure and problem went away.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000