Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Stiff steering on 2015 Bluebird Pusher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dougk

3 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  08:45:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit dougk's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Has anyone else been having steering issues with '15 Bluebird RE?
About a year ago I put a steering box in this bus because it had stiff spots and was binding a little intermittently. It solved the problem. Now it seems like the problem is coming back. The steering is stiff and the steering wheel does not want to return straight on its own after going around a corner. However this time it seems consistently stiff and not binding in any one spot.

Front end seems good, I can swing it through it's full range of motion by hand with the wheels off the ground. Replaced the filter in the reservoir, greased all the steering linkage and u joints. It feels fine with the wheels in the air, no tight spots, no binding linkage etc.

I'm thinking either the hydraulic pump, or the steering box again?

Of coarse if you ask Bluebird its ' the first they heard of it' even if they've sold 100 steering boxes in the last month. Has anyone else had a run of steering boxes or pumps on this vintage of bus?
Thanks
Doug

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  10:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have had to replace u-joints on some '13s, but no problems (yet) on the 10 '15s we have.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  12:03:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They have never heard of it, yet I bet the dealer has about 20 of U-joints in stock if you ask. The T3's steering shaft u-joints are notorous for being garbage, I'd place my bet there.
Go to Top of Page

bestguessrepairs

24 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2018 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit bestguessrepairs's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Not sure if this helps I only have FE buses. But figured its worth a shot.

Check and make sure all greasable steering u joints are greased. I have buses that have pretty well hidden greasable u joints. Steering column inside under dash and 1 at top of steering mitre box. Ran into similar issue about 4 month after I first started and wasn't very familiar with buses and found that these u joints had never been greased.

On a side note If I was replacing either gear box or pump. Depending on the cost of the pump I would replace it and if doesn't fix it you may have a leg to stand on with BB.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000