Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 uneven brake wear New BB Vision
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  03:39:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Is anyone seeing Rear uneven brake wear on 2016 BB vision propane's?

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  06:28:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have 9 2016 BB diesels. Describe you uneven brake wear.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  07:39:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have 98 of them between 2016 and 2017. The first 58 we received last school year about 30 of them have more brake wear on the right side than the left. Not sure why its always the right side. What we seem to be finding is that right side is hanging up. We have done all the checks recommended by Meritor. We even completely taken everything apart to inspect S-cam bushings and lubrication. The only thing we could not take apart and inspect was the new style brake chambers that BB is using because they are completely sealed. According to my BB dealer the chambers are the only thing different from 2014-15 to 2016-17. So they are working with us to fix this problem but they told us we were the only one's having this issue. Most of these buses only have about 20k miles on them.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Interesting....I doubt you guys are the only ones having this issue. You guys are probably the first to notice. Great now I need to look at all of our BB's.
Go to Top of Page

RBrian

United States
71 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  09:13:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit RBrian's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I looked at one of ours and sure enough the right rear is worn much more than the left. It's a 2017 with 30500 miles on it.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  09:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@grandyc you done stirred up a s&%# storm for BB LOL I still need to check all of ours.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gone to have to look at mine now. My 3 2014 Internationals had the same issue at the end of the school year. All 3 had a locked up right rear slack adjuster. It's a meritor. Might be the same one.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2017 :  12:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well I'm glad to know we are not the only ones. As much feedback as possible will be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  07:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
every new bird we have received in the last 2 years have had this issue as well as a few needing 4 wheel alingments one of them was toed in 3/4 of an inch must have been a terrible drive from Georgia

How did you get the gosinta in the whatchamacallit
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  08:03:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I assume air brakes? I'm thinking about the exhaust. Do these have the exhaust in front of the wheel on that side? Maybe I'm thinking wrong here but you have to figure there is something going on with that side that isn't happening on the other (obvious, here's your sign stuff, I know but just thinking). The fueling is on that side, I know. Anything to do with that, you think? Wonder how these were stored before installation? That end uncovered and some rust in the S cam? Just throwing this stuff out there because our minds (at least mine) tend to cloud things when we are fuming mad about something like this. Hope you figure it out.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  09:32:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all of mine are air drum brakes all have full exhust all are rear tank some gas some propane some diesel all have the same issue

Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  2:04:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just throwing this stuff out there because our minds (at least mine) tend to cloud things when we are fuming mad about something like this. Hope you figure it out.
[/quote]

Can we add road crown to that list?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  04:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

Just throwing this stuff out there because our minds (at least mine) tend to cloud things when we are fuming mad about something like this. Hope you figure it out.

[/quote]

Salt? Been my experience that if it's a salt issue that it tends to be worse on the left side though. This is just strange. You would think if it was bad parts that it would be random. Although, when they assemble these things I assume they put a couple pallets full of calipers on each side. So, I guess if they had a bad batch it could be a pattern like this because of their method of parts supply/ assembly.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  04:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Salt? Been my experience that if it's a salt issue that it tends to be worse on the left side though. This is just strange. You would think if it was bad parts that it would be random. Although, when they assemble these things I assume they put a couple pallets full of calipers on each side. So, I guess if they had a bad batch it could be a pattern like this because of their method of parts supply/ assembly.
[/quote]

Salt would not affect mine, South Georgia. I have the same issue on my IC buses. 3 2014's doing the same thing. All three had frozen right rear Meritor slack adjusters. SO I'm thinking meritor has a problem with their right handed slack adjusters if everyone else's are meritor.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  10:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RonF

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

Salt would not affect mine, South Georgia. I have the same issue on my IC buses. 3 2014's doing the same thing. All three had frozen right rear Meritor slack adjusters. SO I'm thinking meritor has a problem with their right handed slack adjusters if everyone else's are meritor.
[/quote]

Humm, south Georgia, any openings down there?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2017 :  04:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone T'd in 2 pressure gauges, to monitor apply pressure at the same time, and check they release at the same time and rate?
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  06:50:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes we hooked gauges up side to side and there was no difference. we are also in the south so road salt is not the issue. The only thing that has changed in the last 2 years is the Brake chambers which are completely sealed. So we are leaning in that direction. I will let you know once we get some more miles on them. Like I said BB is working with us to solve the problem.
Go to Top of Page

jeeptjken

147 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2017 :  11:15:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well so far its about 75% of all our newer birds with right side rear shoes wore out left side better then 50% usable remaining im still scratching my head

Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2017 :  10:50:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I assume these buses have abs brakes and possibly traction control. Due to road crown, the right side of the bus is heavier than the left. The left rear tires under heavy braking will be the first to loose traction and the abs system will respond by releasing the brake at that wheel. The right rear brake then does the most braking on the axle. When making right hand turns under power (typically sharper turn thus greater weight transfer to the left side) the right rear wheel will be the most inclined to loose traction. The traction control system will then apply the right rear brake.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  11:17:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grandyc, in the other current post by Jeeptjken you said things seemed to be ok now. Do you have an idea of what you expect based on your observations your rear brake life will be now that things are squared away?
Go to Top of Page

grandyc

United States
58 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2018 :  12:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit grandyc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Our district is very congested (lots of stop and go) I think we are getting between 50-75k on a set of rear brakes depending on route and driver skill. I think a bus in a rural county could easily get 100k with a good driver.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000