Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 sludge in the oil pan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody see a 6.7l cummins with sludge in the oil pan and a possible major engine fail.
I`m told the oil pan fills up to the crankshaft with a jelly type sludge and blows a rod out the block or it locks up.

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2018 :  3:42:27 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Our fleet is 80 percent 6.7l engines, with proper maintenance and regular oil sampling I think that senario would be highly unlikely.
Maybe some tuner engine pushing outrageous oil change intervals ( someone who believes what they see on utube) but not in a well maintained unit.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  06:01:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From my experience, sludge comes from never changing engine oil.

The worst I've ever seen was a 2.3L Ford in a Ranger. The owner brought it in puking oil into the air cleaner from the vent hose. With 180K miles on it he boasted of how he'd never changed the oil or filter because he used some snake oil additive since he bought it new. We removed the valve cover and the top of the head was completely filled with sludge to the point that the oil couldn't drain properly.

Personally, I've never seen sludge in a properly maintained Cummins or for that matter, any properly maintained engine.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2018 :  10:13:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
5 eigines in the last year have had this problem (not my engines)some are school buses some are trucks.
Between 50,000 and 125,000 miles and it looks like they are using coolant, just asking if anyone has seen this.
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapa

From my experience, sludge comes from never changing engine oil.

The worst I've ever seen was a 2.3L Ford in a Ranger. The owner brought it in puking oil into the air cleaner from the vent hose. With 180K miles on it he boasted of how he'd never changed the oil or filter because he used some snake oil additive since he bought it new. We removed the valve cover and the top of the head was completely filled with sludge to the point that the oil couldn't drain properly.

Personally, I've never seen sludge in a properly maintained Cummins or for that matter, any properly maintained engine.

Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2018 :  11:12:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
DRP3188 Some times its the egr cooler using coolent pull the DPF and you will see sighs of thisif that is the case.
Go to Top of Page

jerickson@wayne.k12.ga.us

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  07:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit jerickson@wayne.k12.ga.us's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the oil cooler has failed..... This will dump coolant into the oil making sludge.
Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  10:14:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That`s true if it was smoking out the exhaust and not going in the oil pan.
quote:
Originally posted by jerickson@wayne.k12.ga.us

Sounds like the oil cooler has failed..... This will dump coolant into the oil making sludge.

Go to Top of Page

drp53188

89 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2018 :  10:18:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update They pulled the head on one of the engines and the coolant is going into the oil back by #6 hole and it`s not the head gasket.
quote:
Originally posted by drp53188

That`s true if it was smoking out the exhaust and not going in the oil pan.
quote:
Originally posted by jerickson@wayne.k12.ga.us

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000