New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  12:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have an 09 international ce with a allison trans 1000/2000 series it brole down the other day and gave me code 706 and 708 both are transmission range codes i did the diagnostic tree and everything checked ok i cleaared codes and took for long ride everything was good so i vrought back in went over all grounds and powers for tcu i took pan down checked the internal harness for chaffed wires everything looked good so i sent it out was good for three days then it broke again this time it would not move no codes but the range inhibit light came on and would not go in any gear i let it sit for about twenty minutes fired it up no lights it went right in gear and made the 10 mile ride back to shopwith no problems i went over wiring again and cant find anything could it be a bad mode switch in trans?

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  02:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just putting it out there we have had several of these lately with bad tcms , if you can I would swap tcm with a known good at least to rule that out . Just curious does it have brake switch safety to where if brake is not depressed it wont shift into d maybe worth a check .
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  04:07:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have had 2 08 ICs, in as many weeks, where the wire harness on the transmission looks fine from the outside, no signs of damage, but removing the split loom reveals wires have rubbed on each other wearing the insulation, exposing the wire.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  04:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it has if u dont step on brake the inhibit light comes on and it wont go in gear but i no on this bus before the problem started that the inhibit light would come on but it still would go in gear thats strange but i did notice this morning i tried to get it out of shop and the inhibit light came on it woukld not go in gear when i put in reverse the light on the r was blinking so i put in drive and the d stArted blinking and of course it didnt move i put back in reverse and noticed the back up alarm doesnt work either so i shut it down waited a minute fired it up again and all was fine it went right in gear back up alram worked this is strasnge i do have a sister bus i am gonna try and swap tcm today
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  04:32:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh you mentioned blinking so it has a trans shifter pad not a mechanical shifter ? Yea pad might be something to swap check as well I guess if its intermittent ? That is if you thoroughly checked the harness like torque suggested . Yea I had one recently that did the same with the shift inhibit everything on scan data was reading correctly I think
--it stated correctly gear in was N and gear selected was D but over on the right of Allison software it was saying shift inhibit on due to engine rpm all the other inhibits were good
so I changed the brake switches at the rec of another tech an walla it was fine after that
****though I'm doubting the repair and wont be surprised if it returns but this was 2 weeks ago so don't know if it was coincidence because the issue was intermittent or it actually fixed the issue . But at the time the issue was going on for 30 minuted straight and then stopped once this was changed , and it did have the brake switch dtcs ***though I seem to see these on many of the busses so think sometimes there erroneous
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  05:08:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you no now that u mention it the master is wet by the brake switch i was gonna address that efter figuring out the trans problem but i wonder if the brake switch is the problem because its so wet??
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2018 :  12:44:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i swapped tcm from sister bus and so far its working so i figured let me put that tcm in the other bus to see if problem follows and that works fine to ugggg gonna have to drive both for a while and see which one acts up
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  08:42:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've replaced 3 TCMs on our 2010 ICs this year. We replace the connectors in the battery box as well because they're a known issue.
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2018 :  11:29:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i checked all the connectors in the battery box they are good like i said i swapped out the computers with a sister bus and today havent had any problems with either one
Go to Top of Page

dsalinas1939
Top Member

USA
1325 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2018 :  05:13:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it ended up being the tcm thanks guys when i swapped the computers in the sister bus the problem followed the computer and the other bus is still out on road with no problems thanks again guys
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000