New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  11:14:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in this story on the potential to use internship programs to meet growing demand for school bus technicians.
http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/article/728861/prepare-to-meet-higher-demand-for-school-bus-techs

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  11:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mentoring program was never very successful here. Maybe being a one man shop could have something to do with it. This story my spark my interest to try it again. Thanks for posting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

ICBUS07-30

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2018 :  2:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our ISD sends kids every year for two weeks at a time. it is good for the kids and helps us get caught up.

Formally ICBUS0730
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2018 :  5:50:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Internships are fine and dandy, but as long as the dealerships and private sector are paying more and giving better benefit packages it won't help. When I started 18 yrs ago school jobs were great, guys left dealers for the school wrench jobs. Today the school wages and benefits have been trimmed and the dealers have so much invested in their techs they are really trying hard to keep guys. I left full time school employment 4 years ago because I owned a gravel train and my driver was making more than me! I do have a small school that I take care of their buses in the winter (part time) . I am in Michigan and it's a joke what has happened to school support staff here, seems like most mechanic jobs advertised are starting at $25 an hour while school mechanics are 18-20. To me it's not enough for working on vehicles that haul the most precious cargo there is!!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2018 :  05:30:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tb4020

Internships are fine and dandy, but as long as the dealerships and private sector are paying more and giving better benefit packages it won't help. When I started 18 yrs ago school jobs were great, guys left dealers for the school wrench jobs. Today the school wages and benefits have been trimmed and the dealers have so much invested in their techs they are really trying hard to keep guys. I left full time school employment 4 years ago because I owned a gravel train and my driver was making more than me! I do have a small school that I take care of their buses in the winter (part time) . I am in Michigan and it's a joke what has happened to school support staff here, seems like most mechanic jobs advertised are starting at $25 an hour while school mechanics are 18-20. To me it's not enough for working on vehicles that haul the most precious cargo there is!!

I'll tell you what, at least part of, the issue is. If your teachers are making 45 to 50k a year, they can't get it in their mind that a "lowly" mechanic could/ should make more than a pointy headed intellectual with a 4+ year degree. It's a culture thing, imo.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000