Anyone on this board work for Thomas?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  3:26:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you do work for Thomas, I would love to have the phone number for the guy who decided it was a good idea to glue the seat foams to the seat frames so when you take off the foam to fix the junk frame, the foam rips apart. Then one for the guy who thought it was a good idea to put lock tight on the screws that hold the dash panels on so when you have to take them off, the plastic busts into a million pieces.. And then for the idiot that put lock tight on the rear brake hoses on our 2014 model buses, so when I do an easy brake job it takes the entire day to swap out the brake hoses. Just post the number on this thread. And tell him I'm calling him.

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2018 :  05:26:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, Don't you know you're supposed to trade those in every 5 years so you won't be doing any of that stuff?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  02:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair I don't think they glue the foam down to the seats. Sometimes for various reasons we have to removed foam that we installed a year or so prior and it's "glued" to the frame. We sure didn't do it. Something seeps out of these things and sticks them in place.

The other stuff...yeesh!
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  05:15:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2014-15 rear engine buses who said they need an rear engine door to get to the top of the engine from the in side . I had to cut my own hole that took half a day so it could be re sealed. The front engine 2017 Thomas 82 passage the front f%$ked radiator are you playing a joke on us how deep can you put the radiator and sight glass and then take all the panels off to add coolant. it so far under the windshield who dose that. BB bird is no saint ether. they make the buys good enough to sell no the use. How many times do you get a bus band new and hard ware from the seats are everywhere on the floor. are the heater pump is backwards are the heat lines are leaking everywhere. They have no respect for the end user we are taking about 80-120,000 dollar bus
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  06:08:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't been around a new Thomas pusher. Used to be you pulled the rear row back and cushions and there was a large panel that came off to get to the top of the engine for major repairs. Did they do away with that? Not a smart move!
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  07:29:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

I haven't been around a new Thomas pusher. Used to be you pulled the rear row back and cushions and there was a large panel that came off to get to the top of the engine for major repairs. Did they do away with that? Not a smart move!

No rear seat access. I asked them why when I was at the factory and the answer was something like well, wed have to crash test them again yadda yadda.
As for the seat thing, did Thomas ever make their own seats? Maybe years ago but now theyve switched to syntec and they install the seats in the buses. Before that it was IMMI. As for the other things whatcha gonna do?
Ill add another one...
The fuel filter on the ISC's in the Thomas HDX's, is boxed in between the starter and the hydraulic fan. I can barely get to it from the bottom and usually not without getting fuel in my armpit. I asked them what were you guys thinging? They said oh yeah we sell a relocation kit for that filter. *Facepalm*

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

Jon the Mekanik

46 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  07:31:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jon the Mekanik's Homepage  Reply with Quote
When I called the dealer They told me they remove that from the specs for a few years. I guss they think the bus is so good it never needs and thing. I have so many design problem and bad workmanship like clamps and hoses not instill right motor mounts breaking off the engine that was fun
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
814 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  4:38:44 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got one I didn't know about with Thomas . we had a brand new bus delivered this year . We have been having problems in the morning where the rear brakes will not release when the park brake valve is pushed . Almost have the engine at 2000 rpms to break it free . I crawled under bus and there are no dust shields . We have dust Shields on every bus we have bought .I am thinking cold air is hitting the hot brakes and creating moisture and rusting the shoes to the drum I called the dealer to ask where they are at and am told that is an option . Sorry for high jacking you thread but I think Thomas does some crazy stuff

Edited by - valleybusman on 02/26/2018 4:41:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  9:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
baptistbusman1

The seats are made by SYNTEC specifically for your bus. The factory glues the seat foams together and within a short period of time the seats are completely assembled and shipped off to the Thomas factory/assembly line where the Thomas workers install them in the bus. The glue may not be completely dry when they are installed and the seat foams often get glued to the seat frames. Just slide your arm up between the foam and seat frame and you can separated them.

What bus are you working on with the loctite on the dash and brake lines? Air or hydraulic brakes? I have not seen this yet.

Valleybusman, They do not install backing plates due to the cost. You can spec your bus with them or go out and buy them at about $350.00 per bus from your local brake supplier. Its cheaper if you spec them from the factory.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  02:24:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Prior to, what was it? 2004? 2003? They made their own seats prior to that. They were decent when they had wood as the back pan, an occasional busted back on the 1987+ when they went to a thin piece of wood. Prior to those there was a 1/2" plywood board in there...those didn't break but I suspect they didn't absorb crash energy like they were supposed to.

When they switched to metal back pans around 1998, it was downhill from there.

What burns me is that I can go and show you early 90s buses with over 300,000 miles on them and mostly original seat foam still in there. Now you can't seem to get 3 years from foam.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  04:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valleybusman

I got one I didn't know about with Thomas . we had a brand new bus delivered this year . We have been having problems in the morning where the rear brakes will not release when the park brake valve is pushed . Almost have the engine at 2000 rpms to break it free . I crawled under bus and there are no dust shields . We have dust Shields on every bus we have bought .I am thinking cold air is hitting the hot brakes and creating moisture and rusting the shoes to the drum I called the dealer to ask where they are at and am told that is an option . Sorry for high jacking you thread but I think Thomas does some crazy stuff

We have some without dust shields, we have no more issue with the shoes rusting to the drums than we do on buses with the shields.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
814 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  11:14:46 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Our problem is the back end of the buses sit out in the weather . I guess most districts have the same issue with parking . I just know that here the buses without dust shields lock up after a couple days compared to those with dust shields . I have seen some with dust shields also lock up . Just not as many . I know we have mouse issues and think they live on the brakes and urinate all over them ? So anybodies guess . drivers hope that when the driver is trying to break the brakes loose . They hope the driver puts bus i a forward gear and take out the garage so maybe get a good garage replacement

Edited by - valleybusman on 02/27/2018 2:51:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2018 :  11:42:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The dust shields would keep the rodents out.....

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2018 :  08:58:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fastback

The dust shields would keep the rodents out.....

The last day or two that this has been posted I was thinking "a dust shield won't keep moisture out". But, mice "might" be kept out with a shield. Don't count on it though. lol, Those little guys can get into about anywhere.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomas_Bus_Electrical_Engineer

3 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  10:59:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas_Bus_Electrical_Engineer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I used to work at Thomas Bus. I can't respond to the seat foam or to the heater hoses. But regarding the dash panels, they didn't use lock tight when I was there. There's no need for it and results in wasted assembly time and materials. Not to mention the removal problems you have experienced. Other than a mistake, I can't explain that one.

Edited by - Thomas_Bus_Electrical_Engineer on 03/05/2018 11:00:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  12:00:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The screws in the C2 dash that I took apart did have the glob of threadlocker on them, its not like someone is actually applying loctite to each screw as they put them in.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas_Bus_Electrical_Engineer

3 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas_Bus_Electrical_Engineer's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I took a lot of dash screws out and I never seen any with lock-tite. It must be something new.
Go to Top of Page

kummins

41 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  3:03:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit kummins's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valleybusman

thought they eliminated those backing plates per request of dot, makes it easier for them to inspect at a roadside stop... also saves time.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  3:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thomas wasn't putting them on 30 years ago. When I got my first IC's I wasn't sure what to think. Now that I've run them, I prefer backing plates.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  3:57:39 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
When you order new dash screws they with a coating like locktite hard to wire brush off, the inner dash needs to be made of tougher stuff the nut clips cut right through it when removing the original screws. We have had to replace a lot of our older inner panels because the air brake knob breaks them apart when you try to release the parking brake, newer dashes are reinforced at the brake mounting area but not at the screw holes.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  04:58:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas_Bus_Electrical_Engineer

I don't know, I took a lot of dash screws out and I never seen any with lock-tite. It must be something new.

The one I had apart was a 2006 C2

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  05:27:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a bad idea to change to a plastic dash anyway. The roads mine run on shake this stuff apart. I don't have any C2s but between BB and IC, IC is the worst.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  08:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2006 eh? Early one. I wonder if it was just a short-lived and stupid idea?
Go to Top of Page

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  2:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been working on C2's since 2008 and all of mine have had loctite on the dash screws.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2018 :  3:08:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buster133

I've been working on C2's since 2008 and all of mine have had loctite on the dash screws.

Same here, and I don't think I have ever removed the dash screws and not had at least one of them tear up the dash. It's not like they would back out if there was no locktite. I can see it now, driver out on the road, has to stop and calls in, "My dash fell off again!"

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  02:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
**Thankful I don't have any C2 buses**
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  06:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pat, that's pretty uncanny with a handle like yours!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  07:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, but be advised that the screen name is from 2001 or so. 24 was a 1995 3800/Thomas. At that time I was working with 27 Thomas buses from 1981-2001, 2 Birds from 1986 & 86 and 3 Carpenters from 86.

We had a amazing relationship with the dealer and Thomas. One Summer, the dealer and Thomas set up an all-expenses-paid trip down to see the Frieghtliner, CAT and Thomas plants...complete with meetings to ask what we liked and what needed to change. "Something all new is coming and we want to hear input on how it should be done!"

Then came the C2.

I never dreamed that in 2018 I'd be looking fondly upon my 9 IC CE's (with Cummins) and trying to keep both Blue Bird and Thomas at bay. Perhaps I need a mote?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  07:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomasbus24

Ah, but be advised that the screen name is from 2001 or so. 24 was a 1995 3800/Thomas. At that time I was working with 27 Thomas buses from 1981-2001, 2 Birds from 1986 & 86 and 3 Carpenters from 86.

We had a amazing relationship with the dealer and Thomas. One Summer, the dealer and Thomas set up an all-expenses-paid trip down to see the Frieghtliner, CAT and Thomas plants...complete with meetings to ask what we liked and what needed to change. "Something all new is coming and we want to hear input on how it should be done!"

Then came the C2.

I never dreamed that in 2018 I'd be looking fondly upon my 9 IC CE's (with Cummins) and trying to keep both Blue Bird and Thomas at bay. Perhaps I need a mote?

Don't know a thing about the C2 but I've said for years that the dealer is what makes or breaks a deal. I am very fortunate to have good dealers in my area with all three companies. Central States (Blue Bird) happens to be the better of the three. Absolutely love working with them!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2018 :  11:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My bird dealer is full of terrific people and it pained me to stop buying buses there, but Blue Bird has issues that management has got to come out of a state of denial about.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000