New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2018 :  12:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quick back story...
A driver left the yard one morning and drove nearly 10 miles before the bus wouldnt move forward anymore. I show up wondering why the brake lights are on after noticing the driver outside of the bus. Turned out after checking his lights he forgot to remove his flashlight from under the brake pedal. Cooked the brakes pretty bad and I ended up doing a complete brake replacement.
Now im having trouble getting the slacks adjusted. It seems every time I make an adjustment and check the rod travel it changes. I then had someone slowly press the brake pedal all the way down and could see the push rods skipping as they apply. Then I attached an air regulator and applied shop air very slowly and they applied smoothly and evenly. Im figuring the treadle is damaged too.

BUT...while I was poking around I noticed that this brake system DOES NOT have relay valves. Has anyone else seen this? It seems odd to me. If anyone else has one of these and can confirm this Id appreciate it.

Edited by - krmvcs on 02/23/2018 12:46:20 PM

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  10:19:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got 4 1998 MVP without relay valves. They used Quick Release valves instead. When you go from a WestcoastER to one of these, the delay is fairly noticeable. They've been like that from day one. The first time you hit the brakes you get a funny feeling right before they grab. There's a delay with the PP1 as well. If you have a build sheet you'll see 3 QR's.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2018 :  10:44:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. I just thought it was weird and didnt notice the lack of relay valves until I went looking for them.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

enokradeht

United States
27 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2018 :  7:50:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

Quick back story...
A driver left the yard one morning and drove nearly 10 miles before the bus wouldnt move forward anymore. I show up wondering why the brake lights are on after noticing the driver outside of the bus. Turned out after checking his lights he forgot to remove his flashlight from under the brake pedal. Cooked the brakes pretty bad and I ended up doing a complete brake replacement.
Now im having trouble getting the slacks adjusted. It seems every time I make an adjustment and check the rod travel it changes. I then had someone slowly press the brake pedal all the way down and could see the push rods skipping as they apply. Then I attached an air regulator and applied shop air very slowly and they applied smoothly and evenly. Im figuring the treadle is damaged too.

BUT...while I was poking around I noticed that this brake system DOES NOT have relay valves. Has anyone else seen this? It seems odd to me. If anyone else has one of these and can confirm this Id appreciate it.

Every time I adjust and apply it changes! Heres your sign!
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2018 :  06:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Every time I adjust and apply it changes! Heres your sign!
[/quote]
Well now aint you a peach.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000