New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2017 :  12:09:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I missed this. I normally don't like PBS but I think they did a pretty good job here.
A couple issues I see is:
*First when they were talking about the crash, that the young lady they were interviewing was in, they stated that she was in a non-school bus bus. They clearly show a yellow bus on it's side in pictures of the crash, not sure if that was a school bus or what but it would be a incorrect visual if it were a school bus.
*Second was that people continue to assert that seat belts are the only thing that can improve the survivability of a school bus crash. I believe this to be incorrect. Laminated side windows would have kept the interviewed young lady inside the bus and therefore preventing some, if not most, of her injuries.

http://stnonline.com/news/latest-news/item/8619-watch-pbs-news-hour-tackles-school-bus-seat-belts?utm_source=eNews+12.27.17+-+Top+10+of+2017&utm_campaign=STN+Enews+&utm_medium=email

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  03:44:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That story chaps my a** every time I hear it and see her. She WAS NOT ON A SCHOOL BUS. It was a plastic bus that did not meet FMVSS as a school bus and as such, it tore apart.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  05:26:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was the crash scene picture inaccurate?

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  06:05:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bus was painted yellow, that is is the only way it even remotely resembled a school bus.

http://kxan.com/investigative-story/texas-seat-belt-law-fails-to-protect-students/

Her arm was pinned under the bus, I seem recall reading where it was at a place where the bus opened up. Be it a window, a joint, or a failure of the mater the bus was made from...that bus did not meet FMVSS as a school bus and the media needs to stop portraying it as a school bus.

Maybe I should go paint a Chevy Astro yellow, put kids in it, buckle them, crash it, and go around saying what a safe school bus it was!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2018 :  09:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting article.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000