Page: of 2

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  04:41:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

Sounds like the "mechanic" part of your job is very low demand.

Your quote below is a huge reason for the struggle to hire the best technicians.

My home (where I live) district needed a mechanic and could not even get any applications.
The super asked if I were interested, driving was required. I declined but agreed to help him find someone with the caveat there be no driving required and an increased salary would likely be required.
Now they have a top notch technician. He does have administrative duties in addition to wrenching (most techs do), but no driving.

I still am amazed that the most highly qualified technicians are not always hired, and it's because of driving?

That would be the equivalent of passing up a highly qualified mathematics instructor because he won't clean bathrooms.

Insanity perpetuated from our very own profession.

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

[quote]Originally posted by dferrell

I don't agree that a mechanic should mechanic only. I don't think they should drive full time but they should sub as last resort. A good employee always has a "what can I do for you" attitude and should never say "that's not my job".

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  05:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your quote below is a huge reason for the struggle to hire the best technicians.

My home (where I live) district needed a mechanic and could not even get any applications.
The super asked if I were interested, driving was required. I declined but agreed to help him find someone with the caveat there be no driving required and an increased salary would likely be required.
Now they have a top notch technician. He does have administrative duties in addition to wrenching (most techs do), but no driving.

I still am amazed that the most highly qualified technicians are not always hired, and it's because of driving?

That would be the equivalent of passing up a highly qualified mathematics instructor because he won't clean bathrooms.

Insanity perpetuated from within our very own profession.

quote:

I don't agree that a mechanic should mechanic only. I don't think they should drive full time but they should sub as last resort. A good employee always has a "what can I do for you" attitude and should never say "that's not my job".

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. As I said, I don't think a mechanic should be driving a regular route and I don't think they should be the first to sub. However, a good employee always says "what can I do for you?" That attitude makes the world a lot better place to live. I have a lot of opinions, as most know from reading my posts over the years, but things run smoother if everyone is willing to go beyond what their job title is. Further, I also believe that management shouldn't be complaining about OT if they pull someone from their job to fill in for someone else's job. If I were running the place you'd either hate me or love me, that's the way most people react to me. I just believe in hard work and perseverance.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  06:41:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

I guess we're going to have to agree to disagree. As I said, I don't think a mechanic should be driving a regular route and I don't think they should be the first to sub. However, a good employee always says "what can I do for you?" That attitude makes the world a lot better place to live. I have a lot of opinions, as most know from reading my posts over the years, but things run smoother if everyone is willing to go beyond what their job title is. Further, I also believe that management shouldn't be complaining about OT if they pull someone from their job to fill in for someone else's job. If I were running the place you'd either hate me or love me, that's the way most people react to me. I just believe in hard work and perseverance.

Well said Bryan.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  08:17:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your work ethic beliefs are valid for sure and also totally unrelated to my point of a mechanic being a mechanic.
I'm sure everyone wears different hats at times.

Also, every district is different. Some small districts don't have a mechanic, and some do but they are part time, kind of like you. To make the position viable they have combined duties.

My district has enough work for two guys without the need for filler.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  08:43:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its all about perspective isnt it....
The way I see it the smaller the organization is the less likely the "thats not my job" attitude is gonna fly. Im a small private school with 9 routes. Everything all of us do depend on getting those kids to and from and that means that sometimes I drive a route. Because Im the only one who runs the maintenance department Im on call anytime a vehicle is on the road. Also Im sure Im not the only small fleet guy whos hours end up being all over the map because they schedule repairs before, in between, and after route in order to keep running at 100%. Its a bit easier I think when you have a fleet of 300 and a whole bunch of techs to clock in, work, clock out and feel like youre above any work that isnt turning a wrench.
Also...
@SecondFlood, How is driving a school bus analogous to cleaning a bathroom?

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  08:54:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

its all about perspective isnt it....
The way I see it the smaller the organization is the less likely the "thats not my job" attitude is gonna fly. Im a small private school with 9 routes. Everything all of us do depend on getting those kids to and from and that means that sometimes I drive a route. Because Im the only one who runs the maintenance department Im on call anytime a vehicle is on the road. Also Im sure Im not the only small fleet guy whos hours end up being all over the map because they schedule repairs before, in between, and after route in order to keep running at 100%. Its a bit easier I think when you have a fleet of 300 and a whole bunch of techs to clock in, work, clock out and feel like youre above any work that isnt turning a wrench.
Also...

Let's don't let this get out of hand. I don't think that the folks here think that they are "above" driving a bus. I think the view is that if they don't concentrate on working on buses then they'll make a mistake when they come back to the work after driving. That thought is valid in so much as the abilities of each person. One person may have the ability to stop and start jobs and another not. Also, I think the comparison to cleaning a bathroom is being pulled away from your job only, nothing further. However, lol, it used to be the teacher's job to fire the furnace/ wood stove of the one room schoolhouse. So, it IS all in your perspective.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  08:54:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krmvcs

Teacher works in the school building, uses the bathroom. They should clean the bathrooms. Right?
Using the logic that mechanics should drive bus. Not the best analogy lol. Just that it's out of the scope of the profession.

Being a bus driver and being a mechanic are two different skill sets. Not everyone who has the aptitude for one, has the other.
Given the article referenced that this thread is supposedly about, there is or will be a huge shortage of qualified applicants to maintain the very complex vehicles that transport our children. It seems counter intuitive to place demands on a position that eliminates highly qualified applicants willing to do a job that few seem to want.

Edited by - second.flood on 11/09/2017 09:15:38 AM
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  09:19:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion, we have to look at the big picture. We (the transportation department) exist as a support for the school district as a whole. The end goal is to provide the best education we can for students. Our part is making sure they get too and from school (and anywhere else they need to go) safely. With this in mind, the "that's not my job" attitude doesn't work. Your job in the end is to help in whatever way you can to provide the best education possible. Most of the time we are best used as mechanics. That is what we are trained to do and what we know best. But there are some times that needing a mechanic isn't what is needed most right at that time and there literally is no one else to do it. Like I said earlier, last week I ended up spending half of the day helping the grounds guy line the football field for the game that night. It is a 2 man job and there was nobody else available. It has nothing to do with my job or my job description. At that moment they needed a field liner more than a bus mechanic. Sometimes it's possible they might need a bus driver more than a bus mechanic.

Edited by - dferrell on 11/09/2017 09:26:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:04:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said, @dferrell. I also understand the other perspective. But, as you said, it's a big picture thing. It took me a while to understand that. After I did, my nerves were a lot better off. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:22:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess only time will tell if doing things the same old way will fill the vacancies, be it drivers or mechanics.

If a mechanic is to be considered a highly skilled profession with a high demand, employers may not have the ability to dictate a multifaceted job detail if they want to hire the best, or even to just fill a position.

I'm already seeing current technicians leave the field. Why?

Edited by - second.flood on 11/09/2017 10:22:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  10:58:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm already seeing current technicians leave the field. Why?

My guess is pay. If they can go elsewhere and get better pay and less responsibilities, why no go? That's what I continue to tell our board, pay equals keeping good people. Good managers hire good people. Higher pay will attract some people who aren't quality but that's where management comes in.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  1:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If your told upon hire you have to drive thats fine as it curtails the thats not part of my job argument , though i do agree with secondflood you very well could be passing up some great mechanics .We have to remember were all wired differently it may not be a big deal to most , some mechanics work great with multiple tasks going on ,getting pulled off jobs repeatedly, some not so much but are still very valuable asset to there employer . I know myself as said earlier when on a problem bus it literaly is all i want to think about until its diagnosed or done , i could multitask on smaller jobs but am pretty much a dont bother me while im busy guy , a weakness ? may be ? but ive been lucky to find a specific job that allows me to work in manner that suites me and them as usually i get the crap no one wants to touch . But on the other hand i give ya credit im sure a lot more is your plate to keep the operation running and kudos to you all .
Go to Top of Page

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  05:20:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was hired, I was told I would have to sub drive. Now I have a regular route in the morning before my shift starts, and the other mechanic has the afternoon route after his shift is over. We work extra hard to make this happen, and the extra money is helpful. We have also both worked hard to have a nice, well behaved bunch of kids so it's more of a relaxing start/end to our days. I like to work when I am able, so if I was not allowed to drive, I would look for a part time job for the extra money. I am very thankful for the driving time I am allowed.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  07:43:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes actually we have a some of our mechanics work after hours or before,driving but there paid as a driver and not during work mechanic hours , definitely a good opportunity for extra money for them as it seems every school district no matter where is always short on drivers .
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2017 :  08:02:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td083

Yes actually we have a some of our mechanics work after hours or before,driving but there paid as a driver and not during work mechanic hours , definitely a good opportunity for extra money for them as it seems every school district no matter where is always short on drivers .

This seems like a good solution. Younger guys with families might like extra hours.

Something else to think about, some districts have much more challenging routes than others. Our district is very challenging, 100% free lunch district, inner city problems.

When I was hired 25 years ago, I was a 4 hour mechanic during the school year, 8 hours during summer. I was given the option to bid on a route when one came open to make the job full time. Wasn't so bad back then, the buses were simpler and much more reliable so playing driver and mechanic simultaneously was doable.

Our district then went through some changes that saw the busing increase by a third all at once. I was then asked to be a forty hour mechanic. When the driver shortage hit, talk of me driving again came up. I was not interested and believe I had earned the right to refuse. I can't imagine trying to drive now.

I do agree that having been a driver I have a better perspective to help me communicate with and have empathy for our drivers.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000