Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Administrator

USA
1662 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  10:57:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We thought you might be interested in this story on a report that was just released by TechForce Foundation that shows a heightened demand for vehicle technicians in the U.S. in the coming years.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/news/726068/new-report-shows-higher-demand-for-vehicle-technicians

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  1:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds about right. I hit social security retirement in 7 years.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2017 :  2:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I'm not sure where states thought techs would come from when they cut funding to vocational programs. I've been pushing for more money in our program for over 20 years! We've been hit with a double whammy here. Farms are getting larger and larger, thereby producing less and less young people with hands on skills. Second thing is that our state couldn't care less about our vocational program. They are dragged kicking and screaming every time the bill for funding it is renewed. Here's a bonus for you- more math, language and science credits are required to get into college than ever before. So, less and less kids are taking "shop" classes and less general fund money is available to fund vocational as a result. I suspect that many hands on trades will be paid like doctors and lawyers in the next few years. That's when the pendulum will swing the other way. Dang pointy headed intellectuals anyway!!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  04:12:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the demand is already here. I searched for three years to find a tech. Finally settled for a 20 year old apprentice.
The jury is still out.

Factors include cdl, drug screening, and criminal background tests, all before aptitude and qualifications are considered.

And to Bryan above, our vocational school is the best funded school around by far and still offered no candidates for employment in a three year span. I suppose there are multiple reasons for this.

I actually hired a kid whose father was a bus tech :)

Edited by - second.flood on 11/01/2017 04:14:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  05:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I worked at a car dealer for many years and will say everytime we had a new lube tech or apprentice that I thought would make a great technician they were always the ones in college and had aspirations to do other things besides turn a wrench . The ones who are gung ho about it show up on time work hard and want to learn are far and few between . Seems more and more I see new hires you cant trust to do anything have a sloppy work habits and little common sense . Though I will say I think the trades in general will continue to be a good option as far as career choice , many college kids I see getting out finding it difficult to find a job and pay bills/ student loans etc...where as the right person in a trade job can move up rather quickly and have little to no student loans and very likely a recession proof career .
Go to Top of Page

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  05:15:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by second.flood

I think the demand is already here. I searched for three years to find a tech. Finally settled for a 20 year old apprentice.
The jury is still out.

Factors include cdl, drug screening, and criminal background tests, all before aptitude and qualifications are considered.

And to Bryan above, our vocational school is the best funded school around by far and still offered no candidates for employment in a three year span. I suppose there are multiple reasons for this.

I hear he can buff the hell out of a bus though :0
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  05:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best!

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan5r

quote:

The jury is still out.

I hear he can buff the hell out of a bus though :0

Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  05:28:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quote from article, soon to be me in bold lol

"The demand for diesel technicians is similar. The newly projected BLS average annual new entrant demand of 28,300 diesel technicians far exceeds the previous projected demand of 7,690.

“BLS had underestimated the replacement component of demand — replacing existing technicians who have retired, been promoted, or decided to find a new career,”

Edited by - second.flood on 11/01/2017 05:29:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  06:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

"The demand for diesel technicians is similar. The newly projected BLS average annual new entrant demand of 28,300 diesel technicians far exceeds the previous projected demand of 7,690.

“BLS had underestimated the replacement component of demand — replacing existing technicians who have retired, been promoted, or decided to find a new career,”

So, you're already scheduled to change careers? You will be the second one on this forum that has done that. I advised my son not to go into this field. He studying machining.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  07:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm pretty sure we've all had more than our fair share of those days that make us want to "decide to find a new career".

This is my experience...
I'm 35 now and while I was in high school we were beat over the head with the idea that in order to be successful we HAD to go to college. I decided instead to go to an automotive trade school not because that was what I wanted to do, but because I figured I was smart enough to learn it and get a decent job while until I decided what I wanted to do. From there I took a few jobs, gained knowledge and experience, and landed a job on the city transit. Now I'm working on a small school bus fleet with no debt and a rewarding career. No college degree and no school debt.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  08:57:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started working for my dad on the weekends doing odd jobs at home when he would work on cars. I decided to take auto shop in high school and during my senior year, 1981, I worked on the work release program and continued working at the Chrysler dealership until the steel mill bust in 82 and 83 in and around the Pittsburg, Youngstown, Weirton area. I joined the Army in 83' as a truck mechanic and during those 21 years I continued my education and ASE certification. I didn't finish my degree in automotive services. When I retired I landed a job with the school system as a bus technician. Where I am today. The only thing that helped with pay was the Master ASE school bus certification.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  09:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it's a work in progress. My wife has already left the education field.
Big sticking point is health insurance.

quote:
Originally posted by bwest

quote:

So, you're already scheduled to change careers? You will be the second one on this forum that has done that. I advised my son not to go into this field. He studying machining.

Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  10:08:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It really is hard to find normal people that want to work. It seems like the younger generations don't want to do anything unless it involves looking at a screen. Anything physical...forget it. I work at a small, rural school district and we are constantly looking for anyone that can pass a drug test, background check and will just show up for work. It is amazing how hard it is to find someone. I have a couple of friends that own small businesses here in town and they all have the same problem.
It will be interesting to see how it all works out. I too have thought that a lot of these blue collar jobs in the trades could see their pay increase quite a bit. We are already seeing the demand.
I have had some discussions with my boss about this. Our I.T. guy makes over $10/hr more than I do as the bus mechanic. He is a good guy and great at what he does. I have no issues with him. With all of the newer buses and vehicles being so computerized, a lot of my job now is computer related as well. When you add in the safety an liability aspects that go along with my job as a bus mechanic, in my mind there is no reason why my job shouldn't pay similar to what the I.T. job does. I would venture to say there are a lot more people that can do the I.T. job than can do the job of bus mechanic.
Our school district has cut almost all of the vocational classes with the exception of our woodshop which is kind of a joke. No more auto shop, welding, etc. It drives me crazy. Even if you don't work in any of these fields, just having the basic knowledge of these things is so useful. The school expects everyone to go to college when the fact is that many won't go. Some can't afford it, some don't have the grades, etc. I couldn't wait to get out of high school. I knew that I didn't want any part of going to college. I did end up going to a trade school. I took lots of shop classes in high school. I know that I could have gone straight from high school and gotten a decent job and been able to support myself.
The public school system doesn't teach kids how to grow up, be a good person, be productive in society and be successful in life, they teach you how to pass the tests that get you into college. I see it and experience it daily. We have so many teachers and administrators that are some of the most educated people around and yet they have absolutely no common sense. They can't fix even the simplest of problems. They have to call for help.
I have made it a point to teach my own kids just to be hard workers. No matter what you end up doing in life, being a hard worker will put you ahead of most.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  10:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^Good points ^^
I agree with most of those points except I work for a super who could probably do the mechanic part of my job! Great guy but he's one in a million. If all this was up to him, we'd have our vocational department full of knowledgeable "teachers" (more like folks from the trade who may be hurt and can't do it any longer) passing along their trade. Darn pointy headed intellectuals anyway! Someday we'll be proved correct but I don't want to be. argh

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2017 :  12:24:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good discussion.

We are paying dearly for pulling vocational education out of the mainstream schools. Just like athletics, hands-on learning is one of many ways to get through to kids and help them get on a path to success. Now, a generation out, kids don't have any exposure to working with their hands either at home or at school. It was often just the exposure to this kind of work that sparked interest in many kids. Now, it's up to the vocational schools and the trade unions to work together to try and fill the void. The old saying is true; every man (or woman) needs a good lawyer and a good mechanic!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  05:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sherm

The old saying is true; every man (or woman) needs a good lawyer and a good mechanic!

LOL, didn't know that was a saying but true nonetheless!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  05:36:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

The jury is still out.

Agree!! The demand is already here. I'm still trying to fill a position, had 3 people apply and interview. 1 out of the 3 was a bus mechanic but absolutely refused to be a sub driver so that was deal breaker. That's the part of the job that hurts us as school bus mechanics, it's tough finding someone who can turn a wrench and be a school bus driver as well. Not everyone can gather all their marbles after driving a route with a bus load of screaming kids and then having to get back to the shop and put an engine back together and hope you didn't leave anything loose or undone. It's hard enough finding a diesel mechanic but it's even harder to find a diesel mechanic that is willing to be a substitute school bus driver.
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  10:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoeHEB1

quote:

The jury is still out.

Agree!! The demand is already here. I'm still trying to fill a position, had 3 people apply and interview. 1 out of the 3 was a bus mechanic but absolutely refused to be a sub driver so that was deal breaker. That's the part of the job that hurts us as school bus mechanics, it's tough finding someone who can turn a wrench and be a school bus driver as well. Not everyone can gather all their marbles after driving a route with a bus load of screaming kids and then having to get back to the shop and put an engine back together and hope you didn't leave anything loose or undone. It's hard enough finding a diesel mechanic but it's even harder to find a diesel mechanic that is willing to be a substitute school bus driver.

That's why I give you all credit working these small school districts someone made this point last week , you all have to do it all, drive , roadman , major repairs and pms, talk to customers . I work for a very large bus fleet and every year they say how awesome we are but we are definitely silver
spooned in a lot of ways everyone has a separate job repair guy , pm guy, road guy , someone who rights tickets and talks to drivers , and we never drive , couldn't imagine doing all that then trying to diag a problem bus or something would be a challenge
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2017 :  1:44:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol, You really should visit a small district in your area. I really like what I do but it does get a bit dicy at times (especially winter). I don't have time to go over a typical day but I think you'd find it interesting.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  03:30:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You had a mechanic and didn't hire him because he wouldn't drive? That's insane.
Do teachers have to drive as a condition of employment? The IT guy?
Quite possibly, hiring a mechanic to be a mechanic would be a nice start. The job is all encompassing given the modern technology and associated problems, technicians should not be driving.
You're not hiring a mechanic, you're hiring a bus driver who is willing to turn wrenches.
Would you turn down a driver because he wouldn't be a mechanic, lol?

quote:

quote:

The jury is still out.

Edited by - second.flood on 11/03/2017 03:39:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  04:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You had a mechanic and didn't hire him because he wouldn't drive? That's insane.
Do teachers have to drive as a condition of employment? The IT guy?
Quite possibly, hiring a mechanic to be a mechanic would be a nice start. The job is all encompassing given the modern technology and associated problems, technicians should not be driving.
You're not hiring a mechanic, you're hiring a bus driver who is willing to turn wrenches.
Would you turn down a driver because he wouldn't be a mechanic, lol?

quote:

quote:

The jury is still out.

Well unfortunately that's a requirement here. Everyone here has to drive including the director. Monitors are not required to have a CDL but everyone else is. If I hire a mechanic who refuses to drive and the veterans here have to drive but the new guy doesn't, then what do you think it'll do to the other mechanics that have been here for years. They would say "well if he refuses to drive then I can refuse to drive to". Then we're in a world of hurt. Before you know it, the whole shop isn't driving anymore which would be fine with me but the director would be furious.

I agree, mechanics should not be driving but we don't have that luxury here in this district. The teachers don't drive for us but the coaches do and I've suggested before that the coaches ought to be utilized as sub drivers before us mechanics. But of course they won't listen to little ol' me.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  09:15:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same with us. We all drive as needed. I think that is pretty much the norm with small school districts. We all have to wear lots of different hats. (Heck...yesterday I spent half the day helping the grounds guy line the football field for the game tonight!) I don't have a normal everyday route, but I sub as needed. One plus for me is that I made it clear when I was applying for this job that I'm not applying to be a bus driver. I don't mind filling in as a last resort, but I don't want it to become a regular thing. So when I first started, they put in my contract that whenever I drive it is automatic overtime. This really works pretty well because now I don't mind driving as much because I make more money, its good for the school because they have a sub on duty every day and there is a little bit of accountability that the transportation department doesn't abuse it.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  09:40:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dferrell

I don't mind filling in as a last resort, but I don't want it to become a regular thing. So when I first started, they put in my contract that whenever I drive it is automatic overtime. This really works pretty well because now I don't mind driving as much because I make more money, its good for the school because they have a sub on duty every day and there is a little bit of accountability that the transportation department doesn't abuse it.

Interesting food for thought. Thanks for sharing!

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  12:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Refusing to hire a mechanic because he won't drive devalues the profession.
Go to Top of Page

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  1:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I held them off for about 7 years. Just recently we were in dire need and I was the closest to getting the S endorsement than any employee. Its only once in a while, and I get paid my normal rate as the mechanic. Problem is im the only one. So I cant wait to be on a route and have a call from another driver telling me all about what they think is wrong with their bus. ;)
And I get the sentiment with the about from second.flood, but if thats what is needed and someone refuses then theyve just conveyed to their potential employer that they arent a team player.

-Ken-
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  1:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove a full route for 7 years, had enough and told them if I didn't have enough value as strictly a mechanic, I'd find another job.
Still here 15 years later.
It surprises me that given the current climate, and the article referenced above, that more technicians don't use the obvious leverage that we have.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2017 :  4:26:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's unrealistic for school districts to expect the mechanics to have their own routes. Our shortest routes are still 4 hrs. That is half of the day that I can't work on buses. Things won't get done and buses will fall into disrepair. Here in California, we have CHP that makes sure that doesn't happen. There is also safety and liability issues when you are constantly getting pulled off in the middle of doing a job and having to go drive bus.
We had a different local district that was having problems with shoddy mechanics and CHP got involved and told them that the reason they were having so many problems was because they weren't paying enough and were expecting too much from the mechanics they were getting at those wages. They ended up raising the wages and got better applicants.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  05:45:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dferrell

I think it's unrealistic for school districts to expect the mechanics to have their own routes. Our shortest routes are still 4 hrs. That is half of the day that I can't work on buses. Things won't get done and buses will fall into disrepair. Here in California, we have CHP that makes sure that doesn't happen. There is also safety and liability issues when you are constantly getting pulled off in the middle of doing a job and having to go drive bus.
We had a different local district that was having problems with shoddy mechanics and CHP got involved and told them that the reason they were having so many problems was because they weren't paying enough and were expecting too much from the mechanics they were getting at those wages. They ended up raising the wages and got better applicants.

Seems to me that it would be common sense that you pay more to get better people. I don't agree that a mechanic should mechanic only. I don't think they should drive full time but they should sub as last resort. A good employee always has a "what can I do for you" attitude and should never say "that's not my job".

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Sherm
Top Member

USA
621 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  07:28:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone suffers when there's a driver shortage. Supervisors can't supervise, mechanics can't maintain buses, trainers can't train, office staff can't stay on top of payroll, record keeping and other paperwork. It's good to have everyone trained and ready to go in an emergency, but you can't rely on these non-driving employees to drive all the time if you need them to do what they were hired to do.

My mechanics who are trained to drive students are the last ones on the road; I go out before a mechanic. I have, though, trained mechanics to dispatch so that they can run the phone and the radio competently. This at least leaves them in the shop so they can catch up on paperwork during drive time.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2017 :  1:38:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Seems to me that it would be common sense that you pay more to get better people. I don't agree that a mechanic should mechanic only. I don't think they should drive full time but they should sub as last resort. A good employee always has a "what can I do for you" attitude and should never say "that's not my job".

I agree that it should be common sense and we can tell the powers that be that they aren't paying enough to get and maintain good employees, but it helps and carries more weight when someone with more authority tells them the same thing.
Also, as kind of a side note, as a mechanic, I definitely don't want or have time to have a regular, every-day route. However, having to drive once in a while gives a different perspective. Sometimes it's good to be reminded of how things that can seem trivial to me as a mechanic can become a bigger deal when you are the driver. For example...things like loose rear-view mirrors, loose screws, sticky windows, rattles, etc. are minor and maybe not a real big priority to me as a mechanic but when I'm driving a bus load of kids, I don't want to deal with that stuff. I want everything working like it's supposed to.
In other words...I think sometimes it's good for mechanics to drive routes once in a while.

Edited by - dferrell on 11/06/2017 3:33:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2017 :  08:07:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^^ Yep ^^

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

td083

195 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  05:26:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit td083's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to say if your hired being told you must sub drive no biggie imo as you accepted the job you really cant complain about its not your job after the fact. And for me I would have no issue getting paid a mechanics wage and driving a bus around for hours a day , but on the other hand I wouldn't want to be rushed at the shop due to being shorthanded on mechanics because there driving , I could see issues with being in the middle of a big job or tricky diagnosis and getting pulled off could drive me insane at times . I think for smaller districts could be another solid reason for job security though , I know a lot privatize there bus maintenance .
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  08:37:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by td083

but on the other hand I wouldn't want to be rushed at the shop due to being shorthanded on mechanics because there driving , I could see issues with being in the middle of a big job or tricky diagnosis and getting pulled off could drive me insane at times .

I do it all the time. It's part of the total effort for me. I even took on the TD job so things could run smoother. If a TD, or others, are not making an effort to get subs and or regular drivers- and mechanics are driving- then that's another story entirely. The manager (TD) make or breaks the operation, period. They set the tone and course of the whole show. Even if they are getting grief from the head office/ super (or whatever), they should never let anyone in the transportation department know that through any action other than who is involved with the issue. Too many managers wear their problems/ emotions on their sleeves. Just don't do it.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2017 :  08:40:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, and another thing TDs, Barney Fife these problems before they get out of hand.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  04:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Superman lol or maybe Batman?

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by td083

but on the other hand I wouldn't want to be rushed at the shop due to being shorthanded on mechanics because there driving , I could see issues with being in the middle of a big job or tricky diagnosis and getting pulled off could drive me insane at times .

I do it all the time. It's part of the total effort for me.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2017 :  04:39:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the "mechanic" part of your job is very low demand.

Your quote below is a huge reason for the struggle to hire the best technicians.

My home (where I live) district needed a mechanic and could not even get any applications.
The super asked if I were interested, driving was required. I declined but agreed to help him find someone with the caveat there be no driving required and an increased salary would likely be required.
Now they have a top notch technician. He does have administrative duties in addition to wrenching (most techs do), but no driving.

I still am amazed that the most highly qualified technicians are not always hired, and it's because of driving?

That would be the equivalent of passing up a highly qualified mathematics instructor because he won't clean bathrooms.

Insanity perpetuated from within our very own profession.

quote:

[quote]Originally posted by dferrell

I don't agree that a mechanic should mechanic only. I don't think they should drive full time but they should sub as last resort. A good employee always has a "what can I do for you" attitude and should never say "that's not my job".

Edited by - second.flood on 11/09/2017 04:43:35 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000