Restraint for student with no arms
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dvorak

United States
95 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  04:34:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a student in our district who was born without arms. His parents provide regular to/from school transportation but we occasionally transport him for field trips and other events. Because he's unable to brace himself in case of a quick stop, in the past we have used the CE White integrated child seat to keep him from face planting into the seat in front of him. He's getting older and starting to outgrow that seat. He also feels like a baby having to sit in a 3 point harness, which I understand. We're looking for options going forward. We thought about installing a seat with shoulder belts but unfortunately he doesn't ride the same bus every time and I don't think it's feasible to swap out entire seats any time there's a field trip. Any ideas out there? Thanks in advance.

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  04:59:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Star or Besi seat is the only thing that comes to mind.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  06:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
E-Z On makes a vest that has 4 D rings that attached to a harness that goes around the seat. These go up pretty big, so I think it will serve you for several years. You might have to jump sizes at some point but it won't be as hard as changing seats, lol. It will also give him some freedom of movement as well.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2017 :  07:42:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were me, I'd install the 3-point seat in a newer bus and that's just going to have to be THE bus until he's graduated or whatever happens (new bus, student moves away, teleportation, etc.)

I see in your profile that your's is a fleet of 32 Internationals. Easy to do the install, aside from the need to drill a hole in the floor for the additional brace needed.

My fleet is about the same size and we have a few special situations too...it's not a big deal to get the drivers to understand "If you are bidding on any trip involving grade X, then you are going to be driving bus Y...deal with it or don't bid on it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000