Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Best way to shine tires.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  12:29:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So we have a good month of free time this summer left. So we have been cleaning and painting the fleet. We have a fleet of 30 buses and I want to shine the tires for the first few days of school. Its really a shame with lots of nice black and yellow paint to have the faded and bland tires.

I have heard people mention ATF cut with diesel but I'm not sure if this is good for the rubber. I don't really wanna buy a product because that will get expensive.

So does anyone have a suggestion on what they do or would do?

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  12:44:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm jealous, I've never had time to burn in the Summer. It's crunch time for us until school starts. Tire shine works good from ORielly's one can will do about 2 or 3 buses.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2017 :  4:32:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not put lube oil based products on tires. You could ask your tire guy/retreader for something they put on in the cap shop.
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  03:55:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tire paint. The same stuff they paint the tires with after retreading. Been a long time since I bought some, but if I remember correctly, it wasn't expensive. I just woke up and notice Mechanic said the same thing :)
Go to Top of Page

BigPapa
Advanced Member

215 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  04:38:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit BigPapa's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We use Stoner Tire Shine from O'Reilly's.

That said, years ago, almost 40 to be exact, the paint shop foreman where I worked used brake fluid to shine the tires on every truck he painted. I never did it, but since we hardly ever saw the trucks again I can't say whether or not it damaged the tires. That was back when Imron was the latest, greatest thing.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  05:39:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I talked to my tire supplier and they don't have paint available so i guess it's a spray product. Thank you for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2017 :  06:39:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I clean my tires with a product called "whitewall 1000" from superior. I spray it on with a pump spray bottle and then blast it off with a pressure washer. It removes that "faded" look you are talking about. The advantage is that it doesn't attract dust like a tire shine. It just cleans the tire and brings out the natural black. No shine, just looks like a new tire.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000