Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 EIGHT WAY FLASHER PROBLEM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  10:06:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a 2000 BB International 4900 with a problem with eight way red lights.
When I open the door with key on the reds and stop arm instantly come on. IF I shut the door they will go off. I activate the yellow with door closed and it works as it should. I have changed the relays on left side under switch panel, changed door switch under door handle,changed activation button, Weldon unit and still can't get it to stop. I am in Iowa so we have amber's come on first then reds when the door is opened.
Ed

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  11:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Weldon 7000 yellow flasher? If so, move the wire on terminal 10, to terminal 9 ?
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  11:27:48 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I am searching my memory,as don't have any that age left. If I read post correctly your overheads (reds) start just by opening door, without touching dash switches...?..... Seems like I had a few do same/similar, old enough you don't have a BCM(good thing)... about the only thing that comes to mind is.... 1.Flasher wires on correctly? or Loose/bad ground somewhere(manual door? sounds like it is)... Loose/bad ground under cover for door handle switch or somewhere else, would cause them to do strange things. May not be good connection thru cowl to ground... seems like there was a short wire to ground off switch the terminated on cowl, had issues with paint and rust on mine there if I remember correctly...

The only other issue I had similar, that was strange (to me) was after we first got GPS systems installed on our buses was every Bluebird we had ended up having issues with overhead reds lights coming on randomly... from key on and door was opened like yours, to might activate while driver was just traveling 55 mph down road and in between stops..! That problem ended up being the way GPS triggers were hooked up... They had a signal wire going from overhead activation switch to GPS and also one from door open signal... Somehow that would back feed from GPS system to Weldon unit(sometimes not every time) when GPS sent a signal to and from satellites. and make reds activate... went round and round arguing with radio/GPS installers there was a problem, After I went thru and cut all of extra trigger wires on my Bluebirds to prove that problem went away.... they believed me,lol.... Good luck, maybe somebody else has more or better info....

Edited by - slippert on 06/07/2017 11:30:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

eshover

146 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  1:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit eshover's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well... I just moved the terminal from 10 to 9 on the Weldon control and it seems to be working OK. It still doesn't make sense why the reds would come on just opening the door. I may have moved the wires to wrong terminal changing them but I don't think so. When this problem first arose I hadn't changed anything, the driver did his pre route check and they came on that way. I will check it again tomorrow and see what is does.
Thanks for the help.
ED
Go to Top of Page

busrench

31 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  03:51:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit busrench's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a blue bird vision that the overheads would come on randomly but only on rainy day. Turns out, the side access door gasket shrunk allowing water to get in and on the weldon flasher unit. I adjusted the door and remounted the flasher unit so the wires faced down. Took care of That issue.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  04:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eshover

Well... I just moved the terminal from 10 to 9 on the Weldon control and it seems to be working OK. It still doesn't make sense why the reds would come on just opening the door. I may have moved the wires to wrong terminal changing them but I don't think so. When this problem first arose I hadn't changed anything, the driver did his pre route check and they came on that way. I will check it again tomorrow and see what is does.
Thanks for the help.
ED

Here is the terminal break down from the SBF-90 flasher Made by InPower

Terminal # 10 "FLASH RED WHEN DOOR IS OPENED
This input requires a ground from the door switch and causes the red lights to flash anytime the door is opened (non-sequential operation)"

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000