Parasitic battery drain ???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  07:33:18 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 2004 RE 300 with the DT 466 . After last winter some issues keep coming up . Bus sits for more than a day and batteries go dead . We use a smart charger and when I hook it up the charger says no voltage . This is after 3 days .Then it fixes the problem and starts charging . The batteries were 3 years old and didn't test to bad so we replaced the batteries . Still going dead .I did a test the old fashioned way and when I touched the negative to the post got quite a spark .If it matters I hooked up a test light . One end on the negative post and touched the negative cable and it lit up This was after bus sat for a few hours with batteries disconnected .My boss recommended putting a disconnect since bus has to go on a long trip out of state . My question is is this a great option ? I tried to test using a fluke 88V tester but can't find the info on how to do this ? Is this a tester I can use ? If so how ? Thanks for any help .

Ryan5r

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just put a test light between the neg. post and cable. Start pulling fuses one at a time until the light goes out then research what that fuse runs and go from there. If the light don't out with pulling fuses try unhooking the alt.
Go to Top of Page

dferrell

102 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  08:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree...I start with the alternator first just because I have had so many of them cause a draw.
You can test with your Fluke meter by setting it to DC Amps and put it in series from the battery post to the cable. This will tell you exactly how much the draw is. It sounds like it is a big enough draw that it should read on the amps scale otherwise use the milliamps scale. It is normal for all of the newer computer controlled stuff to have a small draw - a few hundred milliamps, but it sounds like yours is bigger if the batteries drain that fast and you are getting an arc.
The master disconnect will work as well, but it is just a bandaid. There is a problem somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  08:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
have you seen anything on inside like the radio? Sounds like the symptoms of a stuck White Rogers Relay.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  09:10:07 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I checked all the switches and accesories . Nothing on . I disconnected the wires on the alternator and am still getting the same issue . My problem is I have never had this kind of issue so I am new at this .
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  09:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the no tools required method I use to start with. When I come across dead batteries in a short time, first thin, feel relays, solenoids, ECM's and alternator, looking for warmth or heat. If you feel nothing warmer or hot, possible batteries dead for a while, boost or charge and do the same again, feel for warm or hot relays, solenoids, ECM's and alternator.
Keep in mind, using a test light can be misleading as there are normal draws as mentioned above and need to see the actual current using an amp meter as mentioned above, then disconnect fuses, relays to look for the draw to go away.
Something that kills the battery overnight, if the batteries are good, is a significant draw that will produce heat and as mentioned above, most common are alternator and the solenoid or relay that provide power to the body.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  10:57:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electric stop arms/crossing arms that are energized with key off to keep them closed seem to be the main source in a lot of our battery discharge over short time issues.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback

Edited by - Fastback on 06/06/2017 10:57:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  3:45:00 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Okay whats a white rogers relay ?
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  02:54:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valleybusman

Okay whats a white rogers relay ?

The master disconnector and noise kill relays. Big round silver or black ones. White rogers is just the name brand.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

td83

83 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  08:25:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit td83's Homepage  Reply with Quote
--the rule of thumb I use is 50milliamps any draw over that theres an issue unplug fuses and see when it drops dramatically then you know where to start, set your multimeter in series with the negative post and cable
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2017 :  10:52:57 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info . Yesterday I took the negative cable off the batteries . I then clipped the test light to the negative post . I used the test light on a screw in the body . It lit up . This is the funny part .I washed the engine and chassis so I could work on the bus . Lastnight a driver came in and told me the bus had an oil leak . I told him no way . Went out and sure enough there was a pool under the bus of oil . First thought drain plug and after looking you can see oil coming down between the rubber seal on the shield that protects the pan . So this morning I pulled the pan and where it butts up against the pan was really rusty and a pin hole wore into it . After fixing the pan I fired up bus to check for leaks . I thought I am going to check that batteries for that drainage problem . Guess what I pulled the negative cable and no spark . Hooked up test light no power at negative cable and no power to body . So now I need to know what happened after removing the pans . Maybe wire rubbed thru on those panels ? will let you know .
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000