Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Crankcase breather tube freezing ISB6.7
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

busmaster54

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  12:33:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit busmaster54's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We are having issues with a 2015 IHC with the ISB 6.7 Cummins crankcase breather tube freezing up with ice. That creates issues with back pressure and can blow turbo seals etc. Cummins has sent out a TSB in regards to the problem and say its a maintenance issue and not covered under warranty. Their fix is a Upfit kit #5314954, which is a heater kit for the tube and breather filter. Cost $583.48 for parts, $292.00 for dealer install, and $26.40 for Misc. Anybody else have this problem? Sounds like a design problem to me, Cummins will not warranty anything if this causes engine problems, and they say its not a warranty thing

eddo
Advanced Member

USA
311 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  1:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same part is available on ebay for $90.

I live in the desert, so this is not an issue for me.

Is this heater an available option at purchase? If not, then I would learn more towards it being a design flaw. If it is, then maybe it should be spec'ed in in colder climates?

How cold is it getting where you are? I have 5 of these engines... lol
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  05:08:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe I remember being told to try cutting the bottom end of the vent tube at an angle with long side to front of bus.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  08:47:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, figures, cheaper in an areas that doesn't need them.
Just curious do you use winter fronts?. We had problems a couple years ago when it was -30C for a couple months, we put winter fronts on, more for better heat and have not had any problems since with the breather freezing but at the same time the last couple of winters have not been as cold, lows now and then -20C and the odd -25C.
Go to Top of Page

busmaster54

United States
21 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2017 :  09:20:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit busmaster54's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eddo: We get temps to minus 30 plus sometimes, and with this issue they say any time it gets below freezing this can happen. Our dealer service manager said they would like to work with Navistar to make this a plant installed option and then recommend the option to the customer in cold climate. To me this is a design flaw and should be taken care of at the Cummins Plant.

Fastback: They do recommend cutting the tube at a angle of 45 with the open side of the tube toward the rear or engine on highway engines and toward the engine on off Highway engines.

Torque: Yes winter fronts are a standard order on a new bus, we have them on all machines here. With the deep snow this year, the problem has become worse.

Edited by - busmaster54 on 02/10/2017 09:23:44 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000