Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2010 IC Electrical fault
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2016 :  3:53:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
2010 IC CE. Driver called in and said electrical fault came up on dash. Pulled over, shut down, wouldn't restart. After a few attempts it did restart, but would only go 5MPH, but he said gauges read 45 MPH and 2800 RPM. I have a couple ECM codes for EGTs, so I'm not thinking that is the problem. I do have a P0880 code for Allison for TCM input signal. I know I've seen some issues like this on the forum before, but can anyone point me in the right direction to go with this. Can I get a pinout of the TCM on ISIS? Thanks!!

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  03:27:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The symptom you are talking about sounds like the connections in the terminals for clean power to the ECM. They are in the battery box where the 3 fuses are. Look for burnt terminals in the fuse holder or the three wire connector. If not there they follow that harness along the frame rail and near the starter, check those connections for the same thing. Also on the fire wall under the hood check the connections to the ECM, IDM TCM relays. Every single IC, CE bus that if have worked on, that is where the problem was found when electrical fault came up.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  08:46:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. Are those specific relays the ones that are tied up along the harness that runs along the back side of the engine downwards? Think there's 3 of them tied up together? I did check the fuse holder in the battery box for corrosion and burned terminals, and that area looks good.
Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2016 :  09:12:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The harness that comes off of those three fuses run out of the battery box, along the frame on over to the bell housing area where there are some more connectors. Check those. From there the harness continues up to the relays on the fire wall. IIRC each of the three red wires in the battery box power the ECM,IDM,and TCM relays. You will usually see the plastic melted on the inside of the connector.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  04:37:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
sounds like its the tcm. check and see if you see the gear selector on your dash if u can move the gear shifter and see if it gear on display moves. tcm loses ncomunication with pcm and goes into limp mode. we swap tcm from sister buses and see if same problem with the other bus hope this helps. good luck
Go to Top of Page

Donotpass

14 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  06:25:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Donotpass's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have been going through a rash of our IC CE's losing the TCM. each one is a little different on the symptoms but they all pop up having an electrical fault on the display. We have a allison vendor that says they see this issue frequently.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  07:26:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brought it in this morning to check things. Left key on while doing some basic checks, message on dash is out at this point. Pulled the battery tray out and the message came on. Started wiggling wires and it would come and go. Pulled sheathing off the 3 fused wires and it seems to be a breaking wire that goes to the TCM fuse. I can bend it and the light comes and goes and the code on Allison comes and goes as well. I'll fix the wire and see what happens. Hopefully this is it, I'll post an update as to whether or not it fixes it.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  12:37:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Harness inside battery box was bad. Ohmed it and it was loosing contact from barely touching the wires. Got it back together and fault would come and go. After some more checking, we finally swapped a TCM from a sister bus and the fault followed the TCM. My thought on this is that the bad connection wiped out TCM. If anyone else has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  1:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aaronwilmoth80911

Update: Harness inside battery box was bad. Ohmed it and it was loosing contact from barely touching the wires. Got it back together and fault would come and go. After some more checking, we finally swapped a TCM from a sister bus and the fault followed the TCM. My thought on this is that the bad connection wiped out TCM. If anyone else has a better explanation, I'd love to hear it.

I believe you're right, the bad connection at the battery harness probably burnt the board in the TCM. I've had that happen before.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000