Engine oil filtration
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

krmvcs
Advanced Member

362 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  3:24:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody one here running any supplemental oil filtration systems? bypass filter? centrifugal? costs vs. benefits? oil sampling? im thinking about it for my fleet and want to get some input from the people here. Thanks.
-Ken-

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2016 :  4:19:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We don't run supplemental systems, but we do oil sampling. It has saved our butts a couple times.
Go to Top of Page

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  5:25:11 PM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
We sample our oil as well,we have also saved several engines and a transmission.
Go to Top of Page

g0ttadrift
Advanced Member

USA
258 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2016 :  8:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil sampling is the way to go. We've cut back on how often we do our oil changes, which has saved us some money. I wish we would do more oil sampling.
Go to Top of Page

Crown

89 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  06:51:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We did engine oil sampling on a large bus fleet for about 20 years. Perhaps due to improved maintenance and changes in engines, we found the sampling to be costing more than the engines it 'saved' and stopped doing it. In my opinion, school buses are a captive fleet and don't benefit from auxiliary filtering systems.

Go to Top of Page

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2016 :  07:25:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can think of any engines we have lost in the last 12 years due to contaminated oil that an auxiliary filter would have caught. We lost 3 444's due to coolant in the oil and overheating because the driver didn't shut it down. 2 were cracked heads and 1 was a failed timing cover seal. In this school system I am at we have replaced all of our 365's due to low or no compression and wouldn't start. The main cause was the prior mechanics and helpers changing oil once or twice a year and buses that travel 20,000 to 30,000 miles a year. We lost a 1991 cummins 6.5 a few months ago because again the coach/driver drove the bus with no coolant in it because he didn't want to wait and the side of the road until we brought his a bus.
So in my 12 years with buses sampling and auxiliary filtration wouldn't do us any good. Proper and timely preventive maintenance is the key.
During my 21 years in the Army we always sampled fluids and only could change the fluids and filters when the lab said so. In 2002 or there abouts the Army discontinued sampling the Allision transmissions because it wasn't cost eventive anymore because they hardly every came back needing changed.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2016 :  11:48:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On our 2005 466 EGR we have the secondary centrifugal filter and i believe it is a bigger pain then helper. The seals always like to dry out and leak and they are hard to get to because of the air filter and alternator.

We tried some oil sampling for the first time on 11 year old busses and they all came back fine so we decided we were doing things right and didn't do any more sampling.

We change our oil at 12,000 and have only ever lost 1 engine under warranty due to a mechanical failure. Any other rebuilds were due to EGR causing intake problems.
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2016 :  11:00:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It also depends on what your oil change limiting factor is. If it's soot, extra filtration will help. If it's oil shear, fuel dilution, or worse yet both, all the extra filtration in the world won't help. Oil sampling will help you dial in what the best interval will be. It's going to change with each engine type. 04, 07, 2010 emission DTs will all contaminate oil differently to a degree. With these engines the limiting factor in my fleet is always thin viscosity.

We sample our way to change on Transynd and go way out on those intervals. With the price of TES295 fluid the sample costs are nominal. Since we went to synthetic ATF transmission failures are a rarity.

When a EGR cooler is starting to go an oil sample will save you a ton of downstream costs. I'm not seeing a lot of metals coming back on oil analysis but every once in a while a failed oil cooler will leach a bunch of copper and it's nice to find things like this before you have an on the road failure, stranded students, late routes, and a hook.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000