EGR cooler what to do ????
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2016 :  2:57:55 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have a 06 DT466E I am getting codes saying EGR cooler problem and EGR . How do I go about fixing this ? The driver is getting a beeping and a triangle warning . Do I send the cooler into a radiator shop and boil it out ? Replace it ..or can I clean it and how hard ? I also have seen some aftermarket that claim to be better than OEM . Thanks

RonF
Top Member

867 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  03:54:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have soaked them in a bucket of engine cleaner before to clean them out and had great success.

US Army retired CMBT
Go to Top of Page

flint1

Canada
74 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  05:37:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the cooler is plugged dodge dealers sell a Mopar egr system cleaner. It works well. 1 Litre of cleaner mixed with 4 liters boiling water and soak. Don't use a brake parts cleaner, it dries out the Soot and turns hard. Issue may also be plugged exhaust pressure sensor tube or sensor issue. Without posting the codes it's tough to pinpoint..
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  07:17:45 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
When I get to work I will post the codes .Thanks
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  08:55:31 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I got a 2389 , 2324 and 2323 codes explain what these mean . Thanks
Go to Top of Page

bfaulkner

168 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2016 :  12:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit bfaulkner's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am not sure on what the codes are, having trouble looking them up. If it is EGR related the best way to check is separate the cross over tube from the front of the cooler. if it is wet and/or full of gunk then the EGR cooler is bad. If it goes bad then that just builds up in the valve and sets codes for it not responding.

I am not sure regulations in your state but we have done some checking here in Michigan and decided to remove the EGR cooler all together. It has made out test bus run better and cleaner but that is just an idea.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2016 :  06:06:27 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I had to go on the web and find codes for a 2008 DT 466e engine and it gave 4 digit codes .I will take a look at the EGR valve thanks
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2016 :  10:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what engine do you have. IF its a 2006 then it is not a DT466E engine and it would be a DT466 EGR engine. This engine has only 3 digit DTC's. Where did you get the 4 digit DTC's from?

The ERG cooler on the 2004 DT466 EGR engines can be checked for leaks in 2 ways, The easiest way is pull the EGR cross over tube off the EGR cooler (3 bolts) and look to see if it is a dry soot or a wet soot. if its wet / sticky then the cooler has a leak. The second way is to take the cooler completely off (after draining all the coolant) and putting on test adapters. apply 15 psi shop air pressure and look and listen for a leak. As for any EGR motor codes, All you can do is clean out the EGR valve. There is noting to repair in it other than replace the EGR motor and valve assembly. We are changing a Cooler, EGR valve and injectors today on a 466. We carry a EGR cooler in stock at all times (we have 23 buses with this engine).

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
807 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2016 :  8:54:19 PM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It does have an EGR .It's a 2008 model and I used the J1908 not sure if that's the right service maxx program . I took another look at the bus and there is coolant leaking out of the air charge tubes and the hose going to the egr cooler .The warnings were the engine was low on coolant . The driver didn't catch it in his pre trips .
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  04:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just alerted to the fact that Bulletproof is making coolers for the 07 emissions MaxxForce DT. I will be trying them with my next failure. We were too slow to jump on the Bulletproof cooler bandwagon with our VT365 engines. On the VT, once installed you can forget about that problem. We usually do both coolers and the EGR valve when in there. http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/EGR_Cooler_International_MaxxForce_DT_9_10_p/6800009.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bus John

8 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  10:22:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can want to be care with the EGR cooler on some of those later model DT466s. You want to make sure if you go aftermarket that it seals properly. Do your homework. Unfortunately on those engines you can't just bypass the EGR and run the lines directly and cap off the main bearing ports. Look into Bosch for EGRs. Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2016 :  10:28:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bulletproof coolers I am talking about don't bypass anything.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000