Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 VT 365 dtc's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tractor3@shaw.ca

4 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  07:04:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Tractor3@shaw.ca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I would like someone to provide hopefully some answers to a couple of trouble codes that show up on the servicemaxx program we use on a laptop for troubleshooting. IC can't seem to help.
We're getting alot of " low IDM relay voltage along with IDM system performance "M".
The system performance "M" slso shows up on power reduced matched to cooling sys performance "M".
We've been changing the IDM when the "M" shows up and it cures the problems. I'd like to know what "M" stands for and where is there dome info on it. Bus Isis isn't any help.

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2015 :  09:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check your big connector at the batteries. There should be 3 wires with fuses to the connector, check it for corrosion or bad connection, I've done away with that connector and but connected the wires before on several buses that were giving me similar problems. Also check the IDM relay on the firewall for the same. What year bus and engine are we talking about? Sounds like a VT365 engine. Hope this helps.

Edit: my bad just seen the title lol

Edited by - JoeHEB1 on 10/15/2015 09:55:19 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  04:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are troubles all the way up and down the IDM feed and ground circuits. Start in the battery box but up and down the harnesses all the connectors go bad. The relay bases and relays go bad. Also, check the connector that crosses over the top of the ECM. There is a large purple wire that carries the current for the IDM through that connector. If the plug is going bad, you will usually see the purple fading from being hot. With the bus running, carefully feel for heat at all the connectors. The IDM itself is rarely the problem. That unexpected reset fault "M" seems to accompany power problems as well. The trouble with the circuit is that IH is pushing 40 amps through a circuit that is far too light. With 22 VT365 buses that AVERAGE 225,000 miles, we see this all the time!!!
Go to Top of Page

Tractor3@shaw.ca

4 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2015 :  12:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Tractor3@shaw.ca's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thankyou guys for your help. Good info to work with. So Bassman, are you guys putting in heavier wiring( an almost impossible task I'll bet), or do you rrpair what's there and try and live with it
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 10/17/2015 :  7:14:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Bassman and JoeHEB1. Replace the connector in the battery box with "good" butt connectors (solder preferable) and check all connectors and relay / connectors. We carry the relays and Connectors and we only have 2, 365 boat anchors. They also work on the 466 EGR buses as well. Way to much amperage going thru the relay and then to the IDM. The "M" message you see has baffled me for a decade now. as for system matched for cooling system performance, that usually is a low coolant issue or overheating issue.

As for IDM issues, We have replace both our IDM bottom boards. The IDM is a serviceable part. The "top" half of the module is the brains of the module and the "bottom" end is the muscle side (48V). You can change the bottom half for under $200 and you don't have to have the IDM reprogrammed for your engine (by the dealer).

Goof luck and keep us informed.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  03:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are repairing what is there and then living with it so far but I do have plans to test a high amp relay that we use on bus AC systems which will more than carry the amps but it doesn't look easy and we haven't taken the time yet.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2015 :  12:10:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just this morning I got the same code and here is what I did to fix it. Hope this helps.[URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/62A5.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/62A3.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/62A4.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/62A1.jpg.html][/URL][URL=http://s253.photobucket.com/user/tootsie1980/media/62A2.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2015 :  03:06:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can also get a Standard S803 which is complete with pigtails for this part of the repair.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000