Professional Garage
 Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Old IH Thomas School Bus
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil_n

2 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2015 :  6:36:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit phil_n's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi all. New guy here. I just bought a 1980 Canadian made IH bus with a Thomas body. How can I tell what the motor is? It looks like the IH motors on the IH Scout sites but the cylinder numbering seems backwards - the 'even' bank is on the drivers side. I have been unable to find the engine ID plate. One spot where it seems that it should be, the boss on the front underneath the ex. manifold, is blank.

Also, any idea where I could find a wiring diagram and tune up specs?

Thanks.

Phil N

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  04:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it has curved "water pipes" on the front it is either a 345 or a 392.
If it has a 4 barrel carb and water pipes go from water pump housing to the block it is a 392.
If it is a 345 the water pipes will go into the heads and it would have a 2 barrel carb.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

phil_n

2 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  08:25:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit phil_n's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, really appreciate that, only problem is it was converted to propane so it doesn't actually have a regular carburetor. It looks like I should be able to check by following the pipes still.
Go to Top of Page

valleybusman
Top Member

USA
809 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2015 :  08:32:29 AM  Show Profile  Send valleybusman an AOL message  Reply with Quote
If it has 3 studs going to the exhaust pipe it's a 392 .If it has 2 345
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000