Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  1:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all,
Two years ago our school made the assistant mechanics job half-time.
Since then it has been a revolving door. I just had another guy give his two weeks.

The pay is good $20+
Vacation, health care, retirement and sick time.
Contracted time is 4 hours, 6-10am, in school.
6 Hours summer.
Extra time available as needed.
Shop/school owns all tools.

Anyone else have experience with this problem and what do you guys think?

We have 27 routes and 33 buses. I'm once again the lone ranger.:)

baptistbusman1

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  3:07:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard to keep a good, hard working man at a job that offers hours a teenager would work.

I would have a hard time keeping a job with those hours as well.

I was formally Baptistbusman. However, I lost my password, and had not updated my email address.

Here is a link to my old posts. http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=1846
Go to Top of Page

DougBier

78 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2014 :  3:28:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That just plain ***** ....Sounds like they are just trying to do more with less . Most districts figure 13 to 14 buses for one mechanic . If you go with that even 2 is too little . Maybe you should either fight them or leave and see how they do ? Just isn't fair .Good luck !!!
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  06:16:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had a position that was kind of a part time mechanic, but it was really goofy how they set it up. So we have 3 full time mechanics and we do primarily buses. The part time person mainly took care of white fleet, but was actually a pool bus driver who had to work a split shift like a driver, could get pulled at any time to drive, and got driver's contracted wages. That person has since left, and now we may make it an "apprentice" position that is a grade lower than driver pay, but would be an 8 hour job, no split shift. The truth of the matter is that we need another full time mechanic to even out the work load between buses and white fleet.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  07:52:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My view is that if there is an accident and it can be proved that the reason was because there was too little time spent maintaining buses......... I'm not sure I'd want to be in that position. Trouble is that in a school setting your board members think they know what's best but then they can be gone in a drop of a hat & most will have not a second thought about you after their gone. Same goes with some supers, they can be at a school with the intentions of building their resume. It's just a little frustrating that you are responsible for a bunch of 20,000 pound vehicles flying down the road and few really understand how important it is the keep a close eye on them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  09:03:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not too concerned about that Bryan, .....yet.
My buses pass the state inspections and so far I've kept up by sending my white fleet work out.

As far as leaving, that is a consideration. I've been here 20 years and really like my job.

I just wrote my yearly fleet condition report and it is depressing:)
At the current rate of bus purchases I will have buses on routes that are 24 yrs. old. Jeez.
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  7:44:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We have a fleet of 63 buses and have been operating with 2 full time mechanics since beginning of October. We do all our own servicing, inspections and maintanence including tire work. In our area mechanics that are willing to work are already working.
Go to Top of Page

stevenredbeard

1 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  05:04:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had to add. My school decided to run 11 yellow and misc.grounds vehs. with a four hour mech. (me). I am retired fleet manager with 35 years exp. Was ok till they decided to forgo the Transportation supervisor and replace him with a dispatcher. Dispatcher has no experience with fleet management.
Need board members with a little business sense, not just teaching background, my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  10:39:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have brought up the bus/mechanic ratio before and the powers that be want documentation of that ratio.
The mechanic job that was cut in half was done to keep the bosses secretary full time.

So on the hot summer dog days two employees in the a/c and me working....

quote:
Originally posted by DougBier

That just plain ***** ....Sounds like they are just trying to do more with less . Most districts figure 13 to 14 buses for one mechanic . If you go with that even 2 is too little . Maybe you should either fight them or leave and see how they do ? Just isn't fair .Good luck !!!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000