Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2005 CE200 buses shutting down
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  07:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just letting you know we're experiencing abrupt shut down of some of our CE 200 series buses with 2005 to 2007 production dates. The bus will suddenly shut down, and after a short period will fire back up, to just run for a short time and then shut down.
Seems that the fiber (Kevlar?) wrapping of the "Clean" power cables from the batteries to the starter area is causing an abraiding of the PVC/plastic wire coating, which is causing corrosion of the wire which in turn is causing intermittent engine shut down. You may have a lot of codes showing IDM/ECM high or low current problems, with multiple injector warnings. My experience has over 20 codes logged as inactive, with the occasional active codes being logged. Please be aware that the fiber wrap will generally not show any perforations, but if the wire is rubbing on any metal edging, it can cause breakdown of the wire coating.
This goes along with the initial checks of the ECM/Trans fuse holders directly attached by the batteries.
We've been cutting the wrap off and putting the wires into new split loom to keep the wires protected, and keep the moisture from saturating the wires.
Just something to watch out for. (PS, I searched this site for this problem, not finding anything. Moderator please move if needed.)
earl

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  03:13:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These are referred to as the clean power connections and we have many problems in this area. We stock both main cables. We frequently have to completely redo the connectors, replace the relays and the relay bases. Definitely a weak link in the bus.
Go to Top of Page

genescammell

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  2:10:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
by any chance would this issue affect the power brake module I have one unit that all the dash lights that have to do with the braking system all light up at once it happens at odd times may go a week then it will happen several times in one day
thanks
Go to Top of Page

mastertech
Advanced Member

274 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  7:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit mastertech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I see a lot of the dreaded black gauze getting rubbed through. Several more areas to check are where it runs over the top of the ecm and all zip tie brackets. If its not zip tied tight on the dipstick tube it will wear through. Make sure it is not anywhere near the left rear exhaust manifold and tubes. Anywhere there is a plastic bracket with a zip tie on it is suspect. Good call on replacing the gauze with split loom.
Go to Top of Page

genescammell

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2014 :  10:17:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so far I have found two places right behind the battery box that the black fabric tape it is not damaged but the wire inside of it was damaged
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  5:34:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by genescammell

by any chance would this issue affect the power brake module I have one unit that all the dash lights that have to do with the braking system all light up at once it happens at odd times may go a week then it will happen several times in one day
thanks

I've had a lot of issues with the wiring for the HPB units. Mostly caused by the lack of a drip loop by the multipin connector at the unit's brain box. The fiber cover allows the water/contamination to enter the backside of the connector. Usually caused by over tight wire runs. Take the connectors apart, and very carefully inspect them for any corrosion or burn marks, repair as necessary.
I hope you have the Meritor/Wabco Toolbox software to watch for intermittent opens/shorts in the wiring during "wiggle tests".
Just got a unit back (extended warranty) that had both HPB AND SAHR units fail at the same time. (2007 MY) The "front pump" was not able to keep up with pressure loss when the parking brake was released.
Good luck!
earl
Go to Top of Page

earl1412

101 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2014 :  5:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by genescammell

so far I have found two places right behind the battery box that the black fabric tape it is not damaged but the wire inside of it was damaged

That area has been bad as is the mess at the starter attachment power point, including melted "weatherpac" connectors/ pins.
earl
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.51 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000