Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2008 Maxxforce DT 9/10
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  06:04:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Engine had an oil leak, long story short the IPR valve was leaking through the connector. Tech replaced IPR valve and parked the bus. Now the bus cranks and starts for half a second and shuts off, it won't stay running. ServiceMaxx says ICP unable to build pressure, that's probably from not starting. It has had long cranking issues before the IPR valve was changed and haven't been able to replace the injector pucks yet, wondering if they finally gave up the ghost. Any thoughts?

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  06:18:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
High pressure fuel rail 'O rings?

Fuel should be "oil". Sorry

Edited by - second.flood on 05/06/2014 09:00:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2014 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I thought high pressure fuel rail was on Maxxforce 7 only. Maxxforce DT has a HPOP. I could be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  03:15:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oil dilution from the in cyl dosing.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  07:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Bassman, changing the oil in it now to see if that helps any. It hasn't shown on the dip stick that it's making any oil, but it couild still be diluted.
Go to Top of Page

slippert
Top Member

USA
630 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  09:29:55 AM  Show Profile  Click to see slippert's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I have had buses with those engines roll in from afternoon route running fine and then not start the next morning due to seals on one of the pucks failing .... IDK.. if the seal failed as it was shut down or what? although the ones I have had didn't atempt to start at all...when that happened..

I take it connections/wiring on IPR are good?

You said Servicemaxx says unable to build ICP pressure, are you seeing any pressure reading on parameter list?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2014 :  11:00:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wiring is good at IPR valve, ICP pressure builds real slow then it attempts to start for a split second and shuts off. The bus will start with ether and run just fine but when it cools down it won't start without ether. This all started when the IPR was changed. The long cranking issue has been going on for a few weeks just haven't had a chance to replace the injector pucks due to driving routes morning and afternoon because drivers can't show up, giving us little time in the shop.
Go to Top of Page

aaronwilmoth80911
Top Member

538 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  06:37:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit aaronwilmoth80911's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We had one with very similar issues to yours and it ended up being the pucks.
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  06:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Bus has been starting just fine on it's own, I haven't done a thing to it other than replacing the IPR valve. I'm wondering if it had air in the oil manifold since you lose oil when replacing the IPR valve?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2014 :  06:44:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@aaronwilmoth80911 I have pucks coming and will install them soon. That should cure the long cranking issue it's having.
Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2014 :  5:29:26 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Any time the HPO system is opened as when replacing the IPR, ICP, etc, it is recommended to drive the unit for twenty miles minimum. When oil runs out, air flows in and gets trapped in the HPO system. This will cause hard starting and low power issues until it is purged out.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  04:08:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Barker

Any time the HPO system is opened as when replacing the IPR, ICP, etc, it is recommended to drive the unit for twenty miles minimum. When oil runs out, air flows in and gets trapped in the HPO system. This will cause hard starting and low power issues until it is purged out.

Makes total sense.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000