Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 pre 08 Vision good or bad?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  6:07:55 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I run a small older fleet and its about time for a new addition. I am seeing lots of older Visions starting to get traded in and I am curious if any of you guys are running them and I'd like your opinion on them. I'm pretty sure they changed in 2008 and was there any reasons for it or just a change? Feed back is appreciated...thanks

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  7:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
On springs the ride is not good. The electrics: dash and multiplex system are not great. We have had 3 with dash failures. We had problems with the signal lights(through the multiplex) I contacted Blue Bird and the response was" Cut the signal wires out of the multiplex and install relays and a signal flasher. While you are at it do the same thing with the horn because we have had a problem with the horn as well."
Since then we have also had a problem on two buses with the backup lights staying on. We also cut the backup lights out of the multiplex.
There have been three of the buses with starter circuit failures. due to the fact that the start circuit has a safety interlock, the starter should not be cut out of the multiplex. This requires the replacement of a $2000 multiplex.
We own five 2007 Vision buses with Cat engines. The engines have been good.
Would I buy more if given a chance?........NO

Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  03:33:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have 20 Visions from 06-2012 with no major issues other than emissions problems on the laters, no multiplex problems we are 95% rough gravel roads in Michigan. We have both air ride rear, some front and springs both ride decent. We had a mixed bag of everything before we are nearly all Bird now, 4 FS65's left!
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  07:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We too have had decent luck with pre-08 visions. I have 3 of them running around. I good thing about a vision is that you can "cut" a circuit out of the multiplex. You wouldn't "have" to change the multiplex with the starter problem but it would probably be a good thing to do anyway. I have one with 166k on it and the only real, what I would call, major problem is with the steering gear box. It is rolling in right now as I type because I am checking the gear box again. It's been a real pain in my.......

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Cal Mc
Advanced Member

303 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2014 :  8:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Cal Mc's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is happening with the steering gear?
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  11:51:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Mc

What is happening with the steering gear?

I had a lot of play on the original unit with about 145k on it and had is sent off and rebuilt. When it came back it was worse than when it went in. Now with 166k and less than a year later it is loose again. I haven't gotten into it yet so time will tell.
Thanks for asking.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2014 :  6:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Sounds good. As always thanks for the input. I'm not sure what if any bus I will be able to get. I just wanted to start getting my ducks in a row. I'm torn between finding a newer late model bus or a clean older mechanical one and get a few more years out of it.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2014 :  11:30:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be better to get a good condition older one that is easy to work on than these new pieces of garbage. lol

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2014 :  05:19:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've got 4 "08" Visions with pre-07 emissions C7s at my school. They aren't horrible, the dashes are much better than the 2003-07 1st gen visions. I would stay away from the C7 tho. If you can find one with a 5.9 Cummins, I'd go ahead and buy it.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  08:31:15 AM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
I haven't seen any older ones with anything other than a CAT. I want to stay older then 08 for sure.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2014 :  12:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Cat was about it back then. The good thing about Cat, I've learned lately, it that they are fairly easy to work on. I'm sure Cummins is as well, I just don't have any experience with them.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Mark23290

United States
96 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  12:11:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious on the 2006 visions with the cat c7's in particular.

If had the choice would you buy a Vision or A Freightliner Thomas?

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2014 :  12:45:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be a draw for me. The old FS65 was a good unit and the Vision is a good unit as well. It all depends on your dealer. If you have a dealer who can help you with repairs, I'd go with their brand and then give them lots of air time when they help (or hinder for that matter).

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2014 :  05:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If memory serves, there will be no older Visions with Cummins. There was a period of several years where bird and Cat were holding hands and nothing else was offered.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2014 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting 2007 MY (I think that's what Bird was calling them) you could order a ISB 5.9 in the Vision

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.26 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000