Parking Brakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bus1

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  3:05:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the different types of parking brakes? I've heard of air assist. (the yellow triangle?) But I don't know how it works. I ride a bus that doesn't have the yellow triangle. What type of parking brake would it have? Also, which do you like and use?

Bill

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  4:44:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would imagine that your bus has hydrolic brakes. Your driver probably has a foot parking break like you would have in a car or truck. What kind of bus do you ride?

"What can your bus do?"
Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  8:22:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
You would most likely have a hydraulic parking brake, allthough I have never seen one with a foot parking brake.

To the left of the driver, inbetween say the steering wheel and the control panel there is a long black lever. To apply the parking brake, you swing this lever down, to release it, you just pull it back up.

Next time you are walking up the aisle, getting off the bus, look over the drivers shoulder, you should see it.

"Thomas Parking Only- All others will be crushed."
Go to Top of Page

Skewl Bus Boi
Advanced Member

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  9:23:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, in high school I rode a Blue Bird with a foot parking brake.

If you don't have a yellow knob, the bus has hydraulic brakes. The yellow knob is for an air parking brake. Some buses have full air brakes (both service and parking brakes are air), others have an "air-assist" parking brake with hydraulic service brakes. Some are the other way around, although I'm not quite sure how that works. And I don't have a clue how vacuum brakes work.

—Phil

"Blue Bird!" "of happiness?"
Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  05:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Air brakes have brake chambers that operate three ways;
1. Service brake: this is whenever the foot pedal is depresed, air pressure from the pedal activation applies the service brakes.
2. Parking brake: This is the "piggyback" part of the brake chamber that uses another chamber to "set" the brakes to park the bus when the yellow knob is pulled out.
3. Spring brake: This is the feature that allows the brakes to automatically activate when air pressure drops below a set amount (usually 60 psi).
Hydraulic Brakes:
I don't know of a hydraulic parking brake offered on a recently produced bus. Buses that we have with hydraulic brakes have a "mechanical" parking brake that uses only mechanical linkage (pull lever) to activate a "band" type of parking brake shoe usually mounted to the driveshaft assy. There are some cable operated shoe-type systems, but I haven't seen one of these in 10-15 years.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

bus1

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  2:20:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help. I ride a 1994 GMC Gas Blue Bird and today I looked and saw the black lever. I thought the driver just put it in neutral, but I saw her reach towards the black lever. Once again, Thanks!

Bill
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000