New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  10:37:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

We have a 10' C2 (cummins - with air brakes). That has a constant beep/alarm coming out of the dash when the key is on and it won't stop. It seemed like an emergency window at first, but when you play with the window handles it doesn't stop. At first we thought it was the front driver's side emerg window, but the window switch is working fine. Every now and again it will stop when you play with the latch on that window. This latch was taken apart and inspected, but seems to be fine. Sometimes when you jump in the center of the aisle right about where that window is it will stop for a minute and then come back on about 15 seconds later.

At that point I thought it may be the ABS module under my feet in that area, so I went underneath and wiggled the wires going to the box. Still no stop in the constant beep sound inside. Plus the park brake light is illuminated and goes out when the brakes are released, so the box is funtioning.

We played with the headlight switch thinking it may be that, but the switch still functions in park and low beam like it should.

We are puzzeled.

We even opened the single roof hatch and played with the micro switch, but still no luck in stopping the constant alarm.

All the gauges on the cluster are at proper levels with no warning lights for low air, coolant, or oil.

I even went back and hit the reset button for the child check system thinking it may reset something.

The driver had reported that the beeping started a bit choppy while driving at first and then eventually stayed constant. She also mentioned that a bit of snow had blown into the bus overnight and landed around the control panel. When the panel was removed there was no dampness or water in the swiches or the fuse panel underneath.

Any ideas to pass along?

Thanks

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 02/23/2014 11:00:30 AM

tigger2
Advanced Member

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  05:47:31 AM  Show Profile  Click to see tigger2's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The jumping on the floor reminded me of a wheelchair lift problem we had, check the cab grounds at the front there are two studs under the bulkhead modual we put both wires on the same stud as the wires on the inside of the bus. Check the battery and frame grounds as well. The E-windows use a magnet which may come loose to work the contacts in the window frame (push out part) you may have to use a pocket screw driver to relocate the magnet. On newer design the switch assy.may not make contact unless the window frame is closed squarely.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2014 :  08:17:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips! The guys found the problem this morning. It was was in that first emergency window latch. There was a little white box type of module with what looked like a bit of mercury inside it. When the handle was replaced fully it worked! Hope this helps sombody down the road!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000