New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  06:49:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have put over 7000 miles on my 2013 IC, and it has not called for a regen. I must mention that I only do trips, I am really a truck driver who drives a bus(I go to the same towns at my truck driving job that I do for my bus driving job). I am almost always running on the interstate or on a two lane road with a 45 speed limit. Often times when I stop at a light the exhaust temperature light comes on. I am guessing since I am pushing the bus this hard it is keeping the filter clean, but, I would have guessed that by 7000 miles I should have seen a regen.

Edited by - misterbill on 02/21/2014 06:52:27 AM

Oldiron

23 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  07:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Oldiron's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Many of our units rarely require a driver activated regen, 7K is not a lot of miles. The units constantly passive regen thus the high exhaust temp light, there are no indicators of a passive regen except the high exhaust temp light. Sounds like the passive regen is working.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  07:03:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does not surprise me, we have some ICs with DPFs with over 50,000 miles that have never called for a manual regen. If the exhaust temp light is coming on occasionally, its doing its thing with passive regenerations.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2014 :  07:21:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is completely normal. I would not expect the manual regen for awhile. We have 6 of these units with 40,000-50,000 miles and we have not had to do a manual regen yet.
Go to Top of Page

misterbill
Advanced Member

United States
306 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  06:56:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. Your answer is a great relief. I worry too much. I was afraid I was going to break down at night in the middle of nowhere. Or worse, have to tell my boss to call Dattco.

High School Friend-"Hey! How are you! Well, I guess you can't be doing too well, you're driving a school bus."

Edited by - misterbill on 02/23/2014 06:57:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2014 :  10:50:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the highway/interstate driving would be key to keeping this system cleaned out. My 13' IC-DT (26,000 KMS) has left me part way through my route twice because of the DPF flashing and beeping. Part of my route is in the rural country travelling around 60kms/hr, and the other half is on the highway travelling about 90kms/hr. Seems to happen to me at least once every school year, but I haven't really heard of anyone else (our local drivers) having the DPF shut them down yet.

Both times that my DPF system kicked in (wanting me to do PARKED REGEN) was in the rural part of my route travelling at a lower speeds. The mechanics just run a spare bus out to me and then they do a park regen on the side of the road while I continue on with my route.

On warmer days my "DPF TEMP" light will illuminate when dropping kids off, but will go back out again when I pull away from the stop.

I would say that your system is staying clean and normal. Just my 2 cents. Sorry for the long story!

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 02/23/2014 10:54:52 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000