Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 2001 T444E
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  1:11:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Code sais "ICP unable to build during cranking". The desired ICP and the actual ICP are way off 3300psi desired 265psi actual. I've replaced the ICP sensor first with no luck. Then I replaced the HPOP with a sister bus and the problem remains. The bus started but then later died during the road test. Check engine light came on and started missing real bad before it died. I've also tried the CMP sensor with no luck. Any thoughts?

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2014 :  5:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar topic may help you out. It talks about this "ICP unable to build during cranking" code you have. Good luck.

http://www.schoolbusfleet.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12917

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 02/17/2014 5:12:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  06:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What is your lube oil pressure? If you luble oil pressure is fine you might want to look under the valve covers and there are little plugs with an allen head that could possibly vibrate and loosen up and finally fall out.
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  08:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As our T444Es have gotten older they now use more oil and have more oil leaks when its very cold, we find we really need to be vigilant and keep an eye on the oil levels in the crankcase. Low oil levels can cause engine to die after startup if air gets drawn into the HPOP system, when this happens you will spend much time cranking the engine over to finally get the air out.

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  10:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
@Bus Tech II the oil pressure is just fine, I know exactly the plugs you're talking about and I'll definately check those once a get the valve covers off. @1983ChevroletWayne thanks for the info, I'm kind of leaning towards the injector O-rings. @Fastback the oil level is good, that was the first thing we checked. I'll be removing the valve covers here shortly to pull the injectors, I believe they're the originals. I'll keep y'all posted in my findings.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2014 :  11:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you suspect the injector orings leaking, check your fuel tank and see if the fuel is black or if it looks like fuel
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2014 :  12:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Inspected the fuel tank and it was clear, so I pulled the injectors anyways to check the O-rings and they look good. What else could cause the ICP pressure to be so far off? I've hit a brick wall...
Go to Top of Page

Fastback
Top Member

1500 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  08:22:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
any updates?

Why yes, the ORIGinal CHARGER is a Fastback
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2014 :  2:12:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes... Update : I reinstalled the injectors after reringing them, cranked it up and ran it without the valve covers and noticed one of the injectors passing way too much oil (steady stream) through the oil deflector. 2 other injectors were barely spitting any oil out, the others seemed even. Our budget is in a crunch right now so I can only afford 1 injector, I'm thinking the 2 that are barely passing any oil are due to the ICP not building to the desired ICP because of the one injector passing too much oil. What are your thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

JoeHEB1
Advanced Member

498 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  11:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit JoeHEB1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: I replaced the injector that was passing too much oil causing it to loose ICP and eventually dieing. Long story short, It's FIXED!!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000