Management/Operations
 Enter Forum: Management/Operations
 Taller Seats
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueRidge Boy2014

8 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueRidge Boy2014's Homepage  Reply with Quote
First of all, safety should be everyone's top priority.

The seats on the 2008 Thomas Pushers (HDX/ER) in SC are so stupidly high. The driver from his/her mirror CANNOT see students. Higher seats do not pose as a safer ride to me, especially when you cannot see what your students are doing.

When you can see everyone, you're good. The likelihood of HIGHer seats saving a life, is probably very low.

The newest C2's also have them.

Is this from the manufacturer? Or State spec'd?

buster133
Top Member

USA
512 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  2:38:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I remember it right FMVSS require that all school buses built after Oct 21st 2009 have high back seats as standard but before this they were required in certain states and optional in others.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/buster133/media/6f2e0703-1970-4ac9-bb1f-b6b9d7c12297_zps1741e113.jpg.html][/URL]
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  11:24:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are called New York/ Illinois high back for a reason. They were adopted in those states first. Now, all things being equal, these seats have been proven to "save" lives. The only way we're going back to a lower seat is if seat belts are mandated and they can show/ prove that the high back is no longer needed. Your first line is key. However, I do agree they are a bear when dealing with discipline. No way we'll be going back in my working career (20-25 yrs left).

Bryan
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4544 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  12:57:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned, the higher seats are now a federal standard.

Crash tests and crash investigations have shown that taller students tended to move forward and upward during a heavy frontal collision, and pivot over the top of the lower seatbacks. This defeated compartmentalization. NYHB seating lessens this pivoting.

We have had them in Ohio on all buses built since 1-1-90. Believe me, in a few years nobody will even notice anymore.
Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2013 :  04:30:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, the drivers will notice. I have drivers that have no idea that there have ever been shorter seats that wonder why there are such things, because of discipline problems.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000