Bus Driver Unions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BlueBird16
Advanced Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  4:57:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit BlueBird16's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a question about how a bus drivers union can be removed from a school district.

I drive a school bus in Atlanta, GA. Our department is split union and non-union. Less than half of the departments employees are union, the rest are non-union. Myself being one of the non-union drivers.

We have so many issues in our department because of the shenanigans of the union and it's members.

My question is a two part question. Atlanta Public Schools is still under the microscope because of the CRCT Cheating scandal and those indicted are facing trials in the new year. So most of what you see on the news about us is not good, even though our place has some really great teachers, support staff members and bus drivers.

APS is considering moving the transportation department into the hands of a private company. If that happens, does that mean that the drivers in the union will no longer be union members, as we would not be APS employees any longer>

Also, there is NO teachers union in the state of GA, which makes me wonder why we need a union. Our union is basically all of the trouble makes who use the union as an excuse not to do their jobs and cause trouble.

Question 2: Isn't the union membership supposed to be 51% of overall department employees to be considered legitimate? If so then APS really needs to quit bowing to the demands of the union.

The majority of the Transportation Dept. wants the union gone. What are the steps in making that happen?

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2013 :  6:26:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
It looks like we have a SCAB on the forums!

If you have an International, you NEED customer service.
Go to Top of Page

bluebirdvision
Top Member

USA
1081 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2013 :  09:51:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would not work for a union shop.

Facebook Page: Blue Bird Corporation Fans
https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_212311114614&ap=1

Go to Top of Page

bwest
Administrator

United States
3820 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  8:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Laws differ in each state. Start with the Labor Relations Board. You should be able to find a listing in your phone book. Again, anyone who posts a comment will be lucky to get anything correct anyway because the answer to your questions are based on state law. None of us are lawyers on here and most of us who frequent this site don't live in your state either.

Oh, one last thing, don't pay any attention to people who throw insults around. Your department needs to do what it right for your department. If that means going with a union then good, if that means throwing them out then good for that too.

Bryan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000