New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2013 :  04:16:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,

Just figured I'd throw this one out there. We have an 08' IC/CE 365 here that every now and then will not start after it's shut off (Normally in mid-route). The mechanics have already ruled out the shifter as being a problem. I believe they have also replaced the ignition key cylinder assembly as well. It just seems like one out of every dozen or so starts it won't crank at all (acting almost like it's in gear), and the driver is stranded.

Anyone have an issue like this before? Maybe IDM relay or loose battery power or something?

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 11/02/2013 04:19:50 AM

Bassman
Top Member

USA
558 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  03:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is a no crank, it can't be IDM relay. Check in the relays beside the IDM relay and see if there is a starter relay and/or a crank inhibit relay. Could be those. We had one the other day that turned out to be a starter.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  4:15:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the tips. A new starter had been put on the bus after these problems started (a few weeks ago), but it didn't correct the issue. I'll see about the other relays.

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"
Go to Top of Page

torque
Advanced Member

Canada
358 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  5:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did you make out with this?
We had one similar recently, tightened the terminals on the 2 MAX fuses and problem seems to be gone. The wires seemed tight when wiggle testing, but when the wrench was put on got aprox 3/4 of a turn on one connection. Over the years I have seen several intermittent problems that went away after putting a wrench on main power and grounds from the battery out. Hope this helps and or your problem has already been solved.
Go to Top of Page

1983ChevroletWayne

Canada
173 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2013 :  6:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our problem still shows up every now and again. Seems like it's in the shifter someplace (even though this was replaced). If it doesn't start and you try to crank the motor while going through your gears it catches and starts. The mechanics have also put a push button under the dash (wired directly to the starter solenoid) in case the driver gets stranded mid-route. This seems to work.

I'll mention the max fuses to them. Thanks.

Formerly "83ChevroletWayne"

Pic courtesy of: "schoolbusdriver.org"

Edited by - 1983ChevroletWayne on 11/27/2013 6:05:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2013 :  12:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 1983ChevroletWayne

Our problem still shows up every now and again. Seems like it's in the shifter someplace (even though this was replaced). If it doesn't start and you try to crank the motor while going through your gears it catches and starts. The mechanics have also put a push button under the dash (wired directly to the starter solenoid) in case the driver gets stranded mid-route. This seems to work.

I'll mention the max fuses to them. Thanks.

We've had 2 07's do the same thing. Found a couple wires in the wiring harness inside the transmission pan were chafed where it rubbed the inside of the casing/valve body. We wire tied the wires together and haven't had THAT problem since. Hope this helps bud.
Go to Top of Page

Bus Tech II

121 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  10:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bus Tech II's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Check the NSBU switch on the transmission for corrosion. They do have a history in not letting the engine start.
Go to Top of Page

Winn10

49 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2013 :  3:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Winn10's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bus Tech II

Check the NSBU switch on the transmission for corrosion. They do have a history in not letting the engine start.

I may be wrong, but that should be a Gen4 trans and NSBU should be internal?
Go to Top of Page

mhernandez73

124 Posts

Posted - 12/13/2013 :  05:24:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit mhernandez73's Homepage  Reply with Quote
im with bus tech i would check out selector switch at the transmision. if im not mistakin they have adjustment slots..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000