Enter Forum: Professional Garage
 Power steering groan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Farmridge

51 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:16:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am having complaints of power steering groans from a few of my drivers. These are 2002 International CE 300 buses and 2004 International CE 300 buses. The 02's have the 444 engine and the 04's have the 466 DT.
The one I am currently working on is an 04. I just changed the filter and flushed the system. The noise is more pronounced while turning left, mostly at low speeds. The outside air temperature is 83 and humid. The king pins and tie rods are less then a year old. The king pins are Kiaser quick sets.
Any help?

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  10:59:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've had to change steering gears for that condition.
Go to Top of Page

BJ Henderson
Advanced Member

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2013 :  11:36:03 AM  Show Profile  Send BJ Henderson an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I have had to change pumps for the condition. If these units have a lot of hours on them, they are subject to pump cavitation if the filters have not been serviced properly. Cut the filters and see what is inside of them. If you find traces of rubber particles, you have a hydraulic line coming apart on the inside. If you find steel particles, you can have a pump failure or steering sector failure. If the filter has rubber particulates in it, then the system may have been overheated. Some medium and heavy truck chassis have been equipped with coolers on them, not sure if your units were speced that way, but they are heat exchangers, just like a radiator, if covered with oil and dust or dirt it reduces cooling capacity.

If you have access to a hydraulic power steering flow and pressure gauge, it will let you know what to change. A pump costs a lot less than a steering sector. Do a complete front end inspection as far as king pins, suspension, bushings, tie rods, drag link so on and so forth.

Be sure to install the correct fluid by the specs when refilling the system. Be sure to follow bleeding procedure also.

Hope this helps!

CMTT,CMAT,CMBT
Go to Top of Page

second.flood
Top Member

USA
640 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2013 :  08:37:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To clarify, when I've had a growl that is more pronounced turning one direction over another, it has been a new steering gear to solve the complaint.
I used to rebuild my own, but with cutbacks I only have time to buy a reman and throw it on:)
Go to Top of Page

C.HARDY
Advanced Member

354 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2013 :  6:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see C.HARDY's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try filter and a little heavier fluid. In my older buses I starting to run 15w40 in my steering fluid. That has cleared up my problems.

"Hardybusman"
Go to Top of Page

J. Kimmel Midwest

4 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2013 :  04:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit J. Kimmel Midwest's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Need to check or replace the rear engine mounts. When you make a turn the frame will flex and if you have bad mounts or mounts that are not in alignment. Or if you remove the mounting bolt and the bolt is not centered in the mount. you will get a noise while steering in one deration. Also when you remove the engine mount bolt check and see if the spacer is broken or lose from the rubber part of the mount. You need to check out the I Know document # IK0100013 in International Service Portal. Title: Engine Mounts Worn, Grounded, or Separated

Applies To: All models

DESCRIPTION
Rear engine motor mounts wear out prematurely due to improper alignment. This can allow vibration and noise during driving and/or turning to be transferred through the frame and components instead of being isolated as intended. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000