Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  5:16:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh, so if you move it only halfway it'll open halfway? I need one of those!

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote source: http://www.brainyquote.com)
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  7:04:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What I was refering to when I said cracked was this: On a manual door, you could open the door just enough for the reds to come on to keep weather out. I can do this with my door also. I can have the door open in any posision, just like a manual door. It is a lever, not a rocker switch or whatever

-thomas91

Hi Thomas91,

Now I understand what you are talking about. I haven't seen one of these levers before. I think that's pretty interesting. Anyone know if Thomas (or anyone else) still makes these type of door activation devices??

Sounds pretty neat to me.

Go to Top of Page

thomas86_a
Top Member

USA
4413 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  7:16:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit thomas86_a's Homepage  Send thomas86_a an AOL message  Reply with Quote
That sounds cool, thomas91

I've never seen one of those, usually it's just an open/closed switch, or else an closed/partially opened/open switch.

The lever sounds like a Good Idea

"Thomas Parking Only- All others will be crushed."
Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2002 :  8:40:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this lever is what I'm thinking of, there was one on a Blue Bird All-American in an episode of Pete & Pete.

Thomas91, if you can post a photo of this lever, I'd appreciate it (as I'm sure a lot of others would)

Superior--built tough, built to last!
Go to Top of Page

BusFreak
Top Member

USA
798 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  01:31:48 AM  Show Profile  Send BusFreak an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Oh my gosh Superior83,

I was actually just thinking of that episode of Pete and Pete the other day. I thought the wiring for that control was intersting as well. Did you notice how there were wires running all around the door itself? Wow, I thought I was the only one who would EVER pay that much attention to school buses I saw on TV

Go to Top of Page

thomas91
Advanced Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2002 :  03:56:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ahh, Im glad I made myself clear enough. haha. I will try to get a picture of it sometime. I have to find someone with a scanner because mine (that I got for free) has bit the dust. And yes, the lever is a great idea. I like having control of the movement of the door. Our lot only has four of these busses like this. These four are the only ones we have with air-doors. A lot of air doors I have been around make the swoosh sound when being opened/shut, but mine makes very little sound, which is nice because the engine keeps getting louder (this bus being 11 years old) so I do not have to put up with more racket (no, my kids are pretty quiet). Another interesting thing is how my bus dosnt have the engine shut off switch (little silver lever near the parking break, light switch...) or a throttle lock valve which I miss. Even some of our 96's and 97's have those valves/switches. What an odd bus, but then again it was from Michigan when we bought it!!?? (just kidding)

Okay Ive got to go to work
-thomas91

Go to Top of Page

bus8

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  10:43:25 AM  Show Profile  Send bus8 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
dont buy eletric and dont by carpenter school busss buy blue bird only the have the opthion of air doors ok iam an experencecdd bus person.

ricky emery jr
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  11:57:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
dont buy eletric and dont by carpenter school busss buy blue bird only the have the opthion of air doors ok iam an experencecdd bus person.

Umm, Blue Bird is the only bus builder that offers air doors? LOL, whatever you say, man.

Hey, Mike, I would rather go with an air door myself. I don't remember ever driving a bus with an electric door, but I've never run into any problems with the air doors.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  1:34:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
yeah, from the start I wanted air. I just wanted the pros and cons of both.

BTW, all manufacturers offer air doors...except maybe the type-A-only companies, and even then, they offer vacuum doors.

Quote:
"Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding."
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  5:03:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
dont buy eletric and dont by carpenter school busss buy blue bird only the have the opthion of air doors ok iam an experencecdd bus person

Riiiight. If other bus manufacturers didn't offer air doors, they'd have a HARD time making it in the industry.

Secondly, off topic, I'm gonna defend Carpenter. Sure, some of them were pieces of junk. But some were some of the best buses I've ever driven. Sure, some of them needed a little extra TLC. I am currently subbing on a route that has a 2000 Carpenter on it. It is one of the best buses I've ever driven (and it also has an air door!)

Go to Top of Page

BlueBird44
Top Member

USA
1639 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2002 :  5:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree new Carpenters are not that bad. I know of a 99 That one of my drivers freind used to own and it was a pretty good bus. They started to improve the end.

BlueBird44-Blue Bird Built for Students.
Go to Top of Page

Ed Allandar

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  06:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ed Allandar's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Air doors win hands down! Much more reliable. Make sure you order with a 3 position rocker switch actuation. This allows you to "crack" the door, allowing reds to come on without fully opening the door. Making sure traffic is completely stopped before discharging students, also great in the winter time, you don't have to sit there with the door open and the wind and snow blowing in while waiting for students to run to the stop.

Go to Top of Page

1983WardFord
Top Member

USA
1395 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2002 :  2:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Air doors win hands down! Much more reliable. Make sure you order with a 3 position rocker switch actuation. This allows you to "crack" the door, allowing reds to come on without fully opening the door. Making sure traffic is completely stopped before discharging students, also great in the winter time, you don't have to sit there with the door open and the wind and snow blowing in while waiting for students to run to the stop.

I drove a 2000 Thomas EF with this feature. It's really nice to have. The main reason I don't care that much for air doors is because you can't shut them enough to keep out the wind without turning off the lights (or turning on the override switch).

Go to Top of Page

LaidlawDriverMassachusetts

USA
160 Posts

Posted - 05/17/2002 :  8:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcome Bbusguy -- My yard received 5 new busses about 3-4 months ago =
They were 5 Amtran Front engines...However - i don't think that the engine was from International ..Ok wait i'm confused about this whole thing ...The front of the bus says International but the engine is from alston or something like that - and the engines are d466 i think - Most of our busses are from 1996 -- and most are Amtran Rear engines -we have about 5 Ford Mini busses and about 6 half busses = 4 are Amtrans one is a thomas and the other one is a crown ...ALl the front engines busses <5> are 2002 models - they replaced our 5 Gennises that were 93's
;-)

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  12:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for the welcome Bbusguy -- My yard received 5 new busses about 3-4 months ago =
They were 5 Amtran Front engines...However - i don't think that the engine was from International ..Ok wait i'm confused about this whole thing ...The front of the bus says International but the engine is from alston or something like that - and the engines are d466 i think - Most of our busses are from 1996 -- and most are Amtran Rear engines -we have about 5 Ford Mini busses and about 6 half busses = 4 are Amtrans one is a thomas and the other one is a crown ...ALl the front engines busses <5> are 2002 models - they replaced our 5 Gennises that were 93's
;-)

Hello LaidlawDriverMA,

It sounds like your bus yard is switching over from the AmTran RE's to the AmTran FE's now.

On these particular buses, AmTran primarily refers to the bus body itself. The chassis of the bus is manufactured by International. International now owns all of AmTran. Most International/AmTran buses are now known as Internationals (i.e. International FE/International RE, as opposed to AmTran FE/AmTran RE). But, you will still see some "AmTran" FE/RE buses around. And, just this past week or so, the school bus manufacturing division of International announced yet another new brand identity: IC. So now, your International/AmTran FE's and RE's will now be known as ICFE's or ICRE's.

LOL...Talk about confusing!!

Now getting back to answering your main question...

The 2002 International (AmTran) FE's that your district has does have an International engine in it, which is the DT466 (as you mentioned). Allison refers to the manufacturer of the transmissions on those buses. That is probably what you were thinking of.

I will be sure to answer your topic on the FE/RE debate that you posted as well. You can read my opinion on the FE/RE type buses there.

Edited by - B. Busguy33 on 05/18/2002 1:10:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  12:44:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LaidlawDriverMassachusetts,

quote:
They were 5 Amtran Front engines...However - i don't think that the engine was from International ..Ok wait i'm confused about this whole thing ...The front of the bus says International but the engine is from alston or something like that

Allison is the company that makes the transmission. You probably misundestood. Allison does not make engines, they make the transmission in the engine.

Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  5:15:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Bob from taking from my post!! Always gotta be number one and on top. You continue to make me sick, moron.

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  6:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks a lot Bob from taking from my post!! Always gotta be number one and on top. You continue to make me sick, moron.

Okay people, is that all you know how to do is fight? Man oh man, nobody can't let anything go on this forum! This is a question and answer forum, questions are asked and people answer them. Bob know lots and lots about buses, so more power to him! Who care's if he's #1 on this forum? Thomasvista, who care's if it's not you!!!!! Suck it up and get over it. People just need to learn how to get along on this forum.

"What can your bus do?"
Go to Top of Page

Rich
Top Member

United States
5768 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  6:39:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Jason,

Bob only beat you by replying to the post. Both of your answers were correct. Don't call Bob a moron because of that. He is extremely smart when it comes to buses, and should be credited by that, and not called a moron.

I agree with Bus Boy... just relax and let everything go Jason... and please do not ever send me such a nasty e-mail again Vista!

-Richard Solano

My Online School Bus Store: http://museummiddle.tripod.com/schoolbuscentral/id18.html

My School Bus Webpage: http://museummiddle.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2002 :  8:12:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Jason,

I'm sorry I make you feel that way. If you go back and re-read page two, you will see that I posted my reply at 12:39 pm PST, you posted at 12:44 pm PST.

Yes, I did go back to edit a couple of spelling and grammatical errors at 1:10 pm PST, and maybe that's what you're referring to.

But that's not the point...

Sure, I know some stuff about buses and the industry, but I do not know everything!! I am here to learn new things just like everyone else here is. I have learned A LOT from other members in the Forum over the past year and a half, and I think it's great to be a part of this group.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2002 :  06:48:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Actually, just to point something out... Allsion did have a partnership or something with Detriot Diesel back in the 80's I believe. My engine is marked as a Detroit Diesel Allison and has a little logo next to it. It has nothing to do with International engines, but technically, they did make engines back then.

Quote:
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

INTERNATIONAL_74

94 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2002 :  8:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit INTERNATIONAL_74's Homepage  Reply with Quote
And this relates to air/electric doors how? (LOL) :)

Tssssssss. (Air Brake Hiss)
Go to Top of Page

cowlitzcoach
Advanced Member

USA
325 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2002 :  05:48:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit cowlitzcoach's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have been in a lot of buses and I can't recall ever seeing a bus with a power door that allowed for the door to be 'cracked'.

Personally, I don't see the need for it. I especially do not see the need for it if the purpose is to operate the reds without opening the door.

In WA, the spe'c's for the overhead lights is the stop paddle has to operate indepently of the door as well as operating whenever the master switch has been turned on and the door opened.

We are required to have all of the traffic stopped before we can open the service door. You can't do that if the door has to be opened for the reds to operate.

To wire the 8-way lights to turn the reds on with the door closed is a pretty simple job. It usually takes one switch, which can fit into the dash in an used cutout, and a couple of wires.

Each state has differing requirements but I think it is a lot safer to use a switch to operate the stop paddle than cracking the door.

Mark O.

Go to Top of Page

IC Seller

1 Posts

Posted - 05/25/2002 :  07:08:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Outward Opening Doors are easier to operate and safer - try opening a j/k door with a crushed step well! O/O doors do not require the steps to be cut at an angle either - give better access & egress. Regarding the air vs electric door. Electric is virtually silent and trouble free - no plumbing, no frozen lines, no air leaks. IC (formerly AmTran) had an electric door with a design flaw in early buses in 2000-2001, but new wiring has eliminated that problem (batteries ran down). They now offer electric as STANDARD equipment on their new IC bus. Air requires air source and costs more than electric, plus a vandal lock on the front electric door is included in the basic bus price.

Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  6:02:35 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My driver has had a serious problem with her wrist with the airdoor. She believes that she has developed carpultunnel (did I spell that right?) from turning the air door. She says she has counted using it over 100 times every morning. We have switched over to a spare with a manual because she can't bend her wrist. Whether it's air or electric it should be a push in-out button. It would avoid problems like this.

I have never herd of that before - my air door control switch is just a flip toggle switch which has 2 positions, open and close. Never seen the kind of handle you are speaking of? My bus is a 95 Thomas Saf-T Liner.

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2002 :  6:08:58 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have also heard that Wayne's jacknife door is heavy as blasins'.

Oh the Wayne, the square box. That was my first bus I drove, a 1982 Wayne. The door was terrible - it was sooooo heavy to open and close. I was glad to see that bus go to the grave yard, and after the transmission went, then the exaust pipe fell off, they descided to lay it to rest!

"With God behind us and His arms beneath us, we can face whatever lies before us."
Go to Top of Page

busdrver4jesus
Top Member

USA
802 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2002 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send busdrver4jesus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, some people have said that you can fool the older Thomas doors into being cracked...was this what you were talking about thomas91?

On my Thomas Saf-T Liner ER - you can fool the door. You can move the door switch slowly and it will crack the door with out opening it. It takes some playing with to get it exacltly right. On the new Thomas we have here, you cant cause its a regular toggle switch with only two positions. I will hopfully get a pic of my door handle up soon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000