Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

banglebub

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2001 :  1:45:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you get paid by the hour? By the Day? And how much? Are there other responsibilities that go along with your driving duties? Are you paid extra for activity runs? We get about $53.00 a day (10-years service) last step in payscale. We get 6.50 an hour for activity runs. We do not have to stay on staff between runs...free to go work other jobs, except in winter, have to be on call during incliment weather. We miss 1/2 day, we lose 1/2 days pay.And we have to pay about 150.00 towards a family plan in insurance ...How do we compare?

sportbilly

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2001 :  7:30:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get paid hourly. (Our times are established at the beginning of the school year.) After 5 years of service, I earn $10.50 an hour. Most of our regular runs are between 4 and 5 hours a day.

School sports and field trips are paid on a different scale. I believe it is around $8.15 an hour. I'm not sure, because I choose not to do any extra trips. Once out and once back a day is enough for me!!

We pay in towards our medical. The longer you work there, the less you have to pay. I pay in about $120.00 a month. It will drop to about $70.00 a month next school year! That doesn't cover any other family members, though, just myself.

We also receive and bonus for no absences and no preventable accidents. That amounts to an extra $40.00 a month (minus Uncle Sam's share!)

When it comes right down to the amount of responsibily we have on our hands, the pay is downright insulting.

If you divide my daily wage by the number of students I haul safely each day, it comes out to $0.46 per student. That is ridiculous. Ask their parents, these kids' safety is worth a lot more than that!!

I hope the school districts and independent contractors figure this one out soon!! If bus drivers were properly compensated, they would have more than enough drivers, and have their pick of the best![/b]

SB

You don't have to be crazy to be a school bus driver, but it sure does help!!
Go to Top of Page

svhockeyjock

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2001 :  4:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Send svhockeyjock an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Fulton County School Dist pays up $938 a month plus benifits. We are the highest paid drivers in the state of Georgia, but Metro Atlanta is in Fulton County so we put up with a lot more than most other drivers in the state do. I think we get paid very well. Back in Pittsburgh the contractor i worked for paid $47 a day with no benifits or anything. So i think im better off!!!

John Scott Boreland
Go to Top of Page

Thomas00
Top Member

USA
546 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2001 :  8:15:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is right Fulton County School Bus Drivers are the highest pay drivers in the state of Georgia.That is why so many driver leave their County to drive for Fulton.I know one bus driver who live in Clayton County.She drove For Clayton school system for a week ,and left for Fulton for better pay and benifits.Also she hated driving the old buses that had stick.Also we are one the largest school transportation in the metro area along with four other schools transportation.Fulton County have 1,300 or more buses.

Have a good Monday!

Thomas265

Edited by - Thomas00 on 04/29/2001 8:16:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

A Bus Driver

USA
36 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2001 :  01:27:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Starting drivers here make $7.25. We get about 25¢ a year raise. Since we are contract, they do not take anything out for summer, and we get unemployment. Field trips pay the same rate as routes while we are driving but we drop to $6 an hour while waiting. (Considering it used to be minimum wage $6 sounds pretty good.) I usually take home between $350 and $450 every two weeks.
Go to Top of Page

tidesinn2

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2001 :  7:26:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My driver gets just under $20 an hour after about 22 years of driving. Top of the scale for driver pay right now is almost $22 an hour. She gets the same pay weather she is parked waiting for kids or driving. If she goes over 40hrs a week which she has done a lot of this year she gets time and half. Most weeks she is between 35-40hrs if there are few feild trips. This week she had 4 feild trips. She will be well over 40hrs. One week this year she got 11hrs of OT. THat was a good week!

Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriver

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2001 :  8:43:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit MrBusDriver's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

My driver gets just under $20 an hour after about 22 years of driving. Top of the scale for driver pay right now is almost $22 an hour. She gets the same pay weather she is parked waiting for kids or driving. If she goes over 40hrs a week which she has done a lot of this year she gets time and half. Most weeks she is between 35-40hrs if there are few feild trips. This week she had 4 feild trips. She will be well over 40hrs. One week this year she got 11hrs of OT. THat was a good week!

What state are you in, and are you hiring?

Must be nice, that's all I've got to say. Starting salary for our district is 10.86/hr for route and 11.17/hr for field trips or anything other than your route. Our top paid driver is only making 11.74/hr and she has been driving for 16 years at the same district. I agree with more of you -- if districts don't start acknowledging our responsibility and professionalism (well for most of us anyhow then) then they will lose the drivers who really DO care. As I'm sure most of us agree, we're not really in it for the money, but it sure would be nice to make a little more for the efforts. Districts would not then be scrambling for subs and ways to keep drivers from quitting -- the answer is simple and obvious to me.

-- Mr Bus Driver
Go to Top of Page

DaBusDrivah@aol.com

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2001 :  8:29:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
School bus drivers in Philadelphia are starting at about $12 an hour. Trips are typically flat rated starting at about $40. Your typical run in Philly is about 6-8 hours a day and there is plenty of work for you to do all year around. Benefits vary from contractor to contractor, and are company paid if you work for the school district itself.

Go to Top of Page

BusBoss

105 Posts

Posted - 05/19/2001 :  7:18:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My drivers' salary range is a starting rate $12.43 p/h and top out at $17.95. Thats guaranteed 8 hrs/day, 12 months/year, annual cost of living and merit increase. Certainly overtime is time and one-half, guaranteed 4 hours. Annual and sick leave and retirement.

Go to Top of Page

Buslagb71

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2001 :  1:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Buslagb71 an AOL message  Send Buslagb71 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
The district that I work for in Michigan is $13.32 a run, our runs are about 15 to 20 min long, subs are guarenteed 3 runs a day. Weather they drive or not. Its called Stand By. Some times they just sit in the garage and wait for a bus to break down, or a driver that doesnt come in ETC. We have runs that range from 3 run packages to 12 packages a day. So there is usually runs to be got. Our Kintergarden run rate is $19.95 a run, and Special Ed runs are $23.95 a run. Our Field trips and sports events, are 9.50 drive time, and 8.95 off driving time. with a min of a hour trip. So if you are doing a 5 min trip from one school to another, (cause we have 4 side by side) then you get paid a hours wages for it/ WSe have what we call shuttles and some are run rates, while others are just extentions of your run and dont get paid extra for them. Then we have what we call latch keys and those are where you pick up one kid and take them to another bus, weather its 200 feet or 10 mins away and you get 4>20 for that. We have incentives for not taking days off work, each quarter it goes up 100 dollars, so if you dont take any work off the first marking period, then its 50 dollars, sec is 100.00 dollars. It gets very confusing, we have medical and we have to pay 20 a month for that, but if you already have medical out side of the transportation then you get a 100 dollar bonus, so you get a little extra for not using them lol. Its very hard to keep track of but for the most part its pretty good pay. We are close to another pay increase, whice always helps.

Buslagb71
Go to Top of Page

KrazeeGoose

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2001 :  07:24:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As an independent sub, I get $20 to $25 per run. 2 runs per day. Each run is about 2 hours. I am not sure what I will be getting for field trips because I just changed contractors. My father-in-law gave me my layover time ($16-$40 depending on trip) plus $21 for driving. This was in addition to my regular route pay. The other contractor will pay me when he gets around to it. I don't get any benefits like medical or anything. We do buy our own buses and I get to help order them. I just got done whining and crying about my next bus being a 6 speed--in January 2002, my father-in-law will be getting me a Freightliner/Thomas/Cat 230 hp/6 speed with an exhaust brake. I will get my high rise roof and tinted windows, air brakes, and all the radio speakers they can fit on the bus. He is going to get me the strobe lights in my stop sign, too. I don't get paid much and I don't have insurance benefits, but I do have a very cool school bus.

Thomas/Freightliner 25:
Powered by CAT
(Hear me roar!)

Go to Top of Page

Jim
Top Member

USA
581 Posts

Posted - 05/21/2001 :  5:27:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am in my 4th year of driving and I make $79.35 per day. For trips we take our daily rate of pay and divide by 7. Altogether I probably only work about 5 hours a day so I guess I'm lucky I don't get paid by the hour.

Go to Top of Page

BUSBOSS105

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2001 :  1:20:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My drivers and I all work for the Public School system. We all work a full time schedule (40 hour week) with full benefits including health insurance, holidays,vacation time, (up to five weeks per year) and personal days. We also have many oppurtunities for overtime runs. A starting driver earns $12.51 per hour to start and up to $16.81 after your final step raise on your 5th year. We also get a cost of living raise each year depending on what the local unions vote on. This is in a suburb near Boston where where an average two bedroom home costs $300.000.00

Go to Top of Page

angel72555

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2001 :  05:18:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We get 16.65 a hour and are gauteened 20 hours a week, trips are 11.00 dollars a hour and we get 35.00 dollars a month for coming to work every day and 275.00 at the end of the year if we miss no more then 4 days during the year, next year we go up to 17.25 an hour and trips get 12.00 dollars and hour.We also pay 40.00 dollars a month for union fees.

Go to Top of Page

jusss2

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2001 :  8:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in Hawaii private contractors pay the drivers rates that are state regulated. currently running at 12.73 per hour most driver make between 12 and 20 hours per week

kal akiona
Go to Top of Page

MNT-Bus

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2001 :  9:16:54 PM  Show Profile  Send MNT-Bus an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I make $11.00 per hour irregguardless of the nature of the trip. Some trips I would almost do for free then there are those I should get like $20 per hour. :-)
Or how about an additional $5 per hr. for babysitting kindergardners who board the bus like 10-15 minutes before the rest of your route of that school had boarded? lol
I'll get $12.00 when my 6 months in here (In June) then it's not.much for raises after that. Decent for a PT job though.

Go to Top of Page

BigBus7

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2001 :  09:12:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drive for Hamilton Township distict in New Jersey.Big Buses get paid $13.00 an hour and small buses $12.25 an hour.Starting salary of $9.00 an hour.no benefits.Bonus at end of year for accident free in the amount of $200.00.$30.00 a month bonus for no absences.Lisa.

Keep on Busing
Go to Top of Page

John Farr
Top Member

USA
642 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2001 :  09:51:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Oceanside CA drivers (subs and step 1 regulars) start at $13.98/hour. Step increases are about 5%/year for 6 years, then a step every 10th, 15th, 20th year, etc. I recently asked the payroll dept to calculate the average driver salary including fringe benefit cost. It is $21.71/hour. We also have a lot of overtime work at time-and-one-half.

Go to Top of Page

scoolbus58

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2001 :  4:52:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here in the Silicon Valley of Ca.starting pay is 15.12 an hour plus full benefits med.and dental for employee and family for 50 cents a month.I ask why even charge the .50 the hours we work here are varied small buses average 7-8 hours and our large buses average 10-15 hors a day.lots of chances for making alot of overtime,for those who want to work.Our top driver made $60,000 !!last year.reading the other wages in some of the other posts really makes me appreciate my job.

Edited by - scoolbus58 on 06/11/2001 12:35:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

pixie

18 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2001 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here in Virginia I make $8,100 a year for 5 hours a day with any thing over the 5 hr. is extra $8.26 an hr. The school board controls the pay here. Under paid and under appreciated, but very rewarding. Love the kids!!!! Been driving for 14 yrs.

Go to Top of Page

Bri98-87
Advanced Member

USA
278 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2001 :  10:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Bri98-87 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I work for the Birmingham Public Schools in Birmingham, MI. Our starting pay is $13.62 per hour. After 90 days you jump up to $14.68 per hour plus benefits. Have to pay 1/4 of premium if you don't work over 6 1/4 hours per day. For extra runs, anytime worked after 5 o'clock is overtime, and all Saturdays. Sundays are double. Also every driver is guarunteed 5 1/4 hours per day. Subs are paid 5 1/2 and are condsidered regular employees and get same pay and benefits as regular drivers. So some drivers that have been there for like 5 years like being a sub and still get trips and benefits etc. So that's my district.

Brian

Go to Top of Page

MrBusDriverDude

4 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2001 :  2:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Send MrBusDriverDude an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Here in Upstate NY we are paid about $12.50 an hour, min. 4hrs for regular runs. Runs are between 4 & 6.5 hours a day. Field trips at the same rate. Sub drivers earn $11.75 an hour. Most work every day and get more hours than a regular driver.

A district near us has been advertising $13.55 for subs during the last month. Maybe they'll increase our pay too!?!

Health insurance for regular drivers (not subs) is about $120/mo for family, $105/mo single for full year coverage, (actual about $95/105/mo. but they add a little each working month to cover the summer months).

I found out today that the state doesn't allow unemployment claims for school bus drivers for the summer?! I'm supposed to stretch that $10,000 to last over the summer? I can understand the teachers with $45K getting paid over 12 months are fine, but bus drivers can't do that!!
Go to Top of Page

tess

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2001 :  8:09:07 PM  Show Profile  Send tess a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
I work for a small country school in Ohio. Subs are started out at $9 straight across the board. I am on my 3rd year as a regular driver and make $12.49/hr. I get the same pay for driving my route as I do a trip. For layover we all get $9. I pay my insurance which is $88 a month. Great insurance though. Our pay is figured on how many hours a day your route is and then figured so you get paid year around. We still need paid more. There are a lot of things we do for our routes that we don't get paid for...writing up our route sheets, really cleaning the bus, and other paper work.

Go to Top of Page

Evelyn

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2001 :  6:28:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NY area.
Current pay is 15.65 per hour and full health benefits with 20percent of the premium paid by employee.
Good sick time and dental insurance for free.

Always remember, what we do is FOR THE CHILDREN.
Go to Top of Page

thomasvista2012
Top Member

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2001 :  7:34:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Miami drivers get paid just for the amount of hours they work. New drivers are hired as part time and get $10.68 an hour. Full time drivers get paid less, at $9.68 an hour, but get paid more because they work more hours. Only full time drivers get benefits. As for me, I'm not a driver but I get paid $6.92 an hour. Not bad for a student employee!

Go to Top of Page

bigdawg1

5 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2013 :  5:33:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigdawg1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I drive for a district here in Connecticut and I' transferred here from a neighboring town because the pay is waayy better. Starting pay is $52/ run. We have two runs a day so $104 plus another $10 a day for showing up on time so new drivers .make $114/day times by 5 days a week $570 a week. Charters for new drvrs r at $15.96/ hour. Highest paid town n our state plus we got brand new 2013 model buses this school year :-)
Go to Top of Page

08 Thomas EF
Top Member

533 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2013 :  8:15:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit 08 Thomas EF's Homepage  Reply with Quote
^ Which town is this? Curious where you came from. If you're willing to share. I'm in CT too. Don't drive, though. Turning 20 in several weeks.

Edited by - 08 Thomas EF on 01/22/2013 8:17:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

bigdawg1

5 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  09:09:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit bigdawg1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The town is wilton CT. I came from Westport
Go to Top of Page

bigdawg1

5 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  09:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit bigdawg1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But with regards to pay we must also consider the high cost of living in the area. Fairfield county is one of the highest cost of living areas in the United States
Go to Top of Page

bigdawg1

5 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2013 :  1:49:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit bigdawg1's Homepage  Reply with Quote
But with regards to pay we must also consider the high cost of living in the area. Fairfield county is one of the highest cost of living areas in the United States
Go to Top of Page

NY Dispatcher

1 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2013 :  3:30:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit NY Dispatcher's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here in the district I work for drivers start at $19.81 a hour. Our cost of living is high here in Southern NY. But they only get benefits if they work over 6 hours per day. We have no full time drivers, but have a few that work 7 1/2 per day, most have well over 15 years with the district up to 28 years. For health insurance, mine costs $540 every month-I pay 30% of the premium. That takes a huge chunk out of my salary-I am a driver/dispatcher. But I am very happy to have a job and I'll take it.
Go to Top of Page

clbaker32611

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2013 :  3:11:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm in Virginia Beach-- As a first year driver I get $11.41 an hour. Work a 5 hour day, activities pay $11.41 each. Field trips $8.50 an hour wait time.
Go to Top of Page

Darlene

1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  3:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Darlene's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We get $23.50 an hour most days are 5 hrs. Trips are same pay.Only the bosses favs get extra odd jobs at $7.50 an hour. We pay $350. for health ins. and $52 a month for union dues (thats a joke). Not much extra driving work here as they have made it so that only 4 or 5 people get all the sports trips! Oh well got a job.
Go to Top of Page

KDevine

1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  3:23:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit KDevine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I am in Pa, I get paid 67.50 for 4 1/2 hours a day, and 3.70 for every 15 minute increment up above that. 12 something for trips, including 3.50 for meals. We don't have insurance, but we have a great boss. I drive 9 a day and can't complain too much.
Go to Top of Page

Jabee

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  5:39:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Tuscaloosa, AL (Public not a Contracted) drivers start at $12,857 a year for 186 work days and four hours a day. Students are in class 180 days and six days are for professional developement. That comes to $68.75 a day or $17.19 an hour. The state also pays the same insurance as teachers receive and also wonderful retirement. Field trips are paid at $10 an hour (two hour minimum) and subs also are paid $10 per hour with a guarantee of two hours per route. Most routes actaully only run about an hour and a half.
Oh...and yest...I am hiring!

JaBee
The Bama Bus Guy
Go to Top of Page

borgman

1 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2013 :  6:51:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit borgman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Make about $50 per day on run. Activity trips are a higher hourly rate and we get paid when we sit. Our runs average 3.5 hours but some are 6 hours a day when you count morning and afternoon.

We have new to almost new buses. They are all transit blue birds.

Insurance isn't as great and many don't pay for it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000