School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 School Bus Equipment
 Enter Forum: School Bus Equipment
 Best Crown bus engine: Cummins or Detroit?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2002 :  10:37:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love to read some informed opinions about these engines in Crown buses. I've heard quite a bit here about the 671 but not much about Cummins. How do they stack up against each other?

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  08:57:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Buskid....you said you wouldn't buy anything older than a 69. Curious.. Why is that? I just saw a 67 come up on trader. Is there any difference between these years? BTW, I liked the way the windows sweep forward on those Crowns. Cool! Also there is a tandem in AZ that came up too. Nice pic of it. Too big for me but thought you might like to take a look at it. I think it's listed under RV though and not truck.

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  09:54:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
hey Buskid....you said you wouldn't buy anything older than a 69. Curious.. Why is that? I just saw a 67 come up on trader. Is there any difference between these years? BTW, I liked the way the windows sweep forward on those Crowns. Cool! Also there is a tandem in AZ that came up too. Nice pic of it. Too big for me but thought you might like to take a look at it. I think it's listed under RV though and not truck.

I did the old bus thing about two years ago - I bought a 1952 Crown from a private school up near San Jose. It wasn't a bad bus by any means, but I can't deal with something of that vintage right now - not unless I sunk a ton of money into it.

It had no power steering, a hard-to-shift 4-spd. manual transmission, a weird air brake system,... the list could go on. It was a beautiful bus both inside and out, but I had to put a brand new $1800.00 drive shaft into it before I even took it home with me. It still needs some suspension work done on it. And honestly, I couldn't see myself keeping it and driving it around unless I did a complete engine and transmission swap, not to mention somehow adding power steering and some other things on to it. (I know, by doing all of that work to it would be taking away its originality, but come on!)

I don't think a 1967 Crown would necessarily be a bad thing. If I saw one with my ideal engine, transmission and options for the right price, I'd probably buy it. But this last time around when I bought a bus, I tried to stay away from anything older than a 1969. I didn't want to put myself into the same position I had been in before. The 1969 Crown that I have now is perfect for my needs. It's old enough to be way cool, but it's new enough for me to feel totally comfortable with it.

The windows on that 1967 Crown for sale right now are like any other regular Crown window, by the way. They "sweep forward" because they have window post caps on them. The windows aren't actually slanted. The bus I used to drive at work had those. I'm trying to find a set of those for my 1969 Crown actually.

To be continued...

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  10:19:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Love to read some informed opinions about these engines in Crown buses. I've heard quite a bit here about the 671 but not much about Cummins. How do they stack up against each other?

Here are a couple of my personal thoughts on the different engines -

Cummins 220 w/ turbocharger, 262 horsepower:

This was a good engine in the 40-foot long Crown that I had. It had more than enough power to get it up and down hills, and it certainly didn't spare the horsies on flat land. It sounded great when you were driving down the street, but it sounded like an old semi truck when you were at an idle.

I never had a problem with it, but never, ever, ever let your batteries go dead.

Cummins 220 w/out turbocharger, 220 horsepower:

It was okay in the 35-foot long Crown, but it had its moments. Of course, my Cummins 220 was coupled to an ancient Fuller 4-spd. transmission, so that didn't help out the situation much.

It always ran, but it ran hot. I've noticed that the Cummins run much warmer than the Detroit Diesels. Whereas a Detroit could run anywhere from 140-170 degrees (there are some that are set at 190 also), a Cummins is usually well over 180 most of the time. Even though it's totally normal, I could never get used to that. It scared me a little.

Cummins 250 w/out turbocharger, 250 horsepower:

Like most Cummins, this one did not like the cold weather. Pull the compression release and get out that starter fluid.

It had good power, and it moved the 35-foot long Gillig along without any problems. It was a good climber and made it through those Northern California hills with ease.

671 Detroit Diesel w/out turbocharger, 218 horsepower:

THE MOST RELIABLE ENGINE I HAVE EVER SEEN.

The 671 Detroit Diesels will keep going, and going, and going, and going. I couldn't even begin to explain how much I love this engine in the Crowns.

Although it's not the fastest thing on the road, it will always get you up and down the hills. You might have to go up in 4th gear (on a 5-spd.) or 7th gear (on a 10-spd.), but it will always go. It cruises comfortably and QUIETLY at 65-70 MPH on the open road.

Mine is set to run at 170 degrees, and the needle never moves. Even going up the largest hill, it never heats up. That is one of the things that impressed me the most about it. I was very hesitant when I took the bus up and down the hills in Arizona and New Mexico, but it definitely proved itself to me.

And as for running in cold weather - that didn't even phase it. I had it in the 20-30 degree weather in Indiana, and it started right up and ran just as well as it does here in So. Calif.

I just got done taking it to San Bernardino and back yesterday, and it was a great day trip. I just got a new air cleaner, oil filter, oil change & lube and wow! It runs even better now.

I could go on and on about the Detroit Diesels, just like some other people here could go on and on about the Cummins or Internationals. But see, I've only owned one Crown with a Detroit Diesel in it. The other Crowns and one Gillig I've had were all Cummins. So you can't say that I'm biased that way, LOL.

Anyway, I hope that helps a little bit. I probably bored you, but it's hard for me to fit 4-5 years worth of experiences and troubles into a short post. I think both engines are sufficient for a Crown, but I definitely have my opinions on which ones are better.

Edited by - Buskid on 02/17/2002 10:21:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  2:55:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I was thinking.... For those in IN who are not "bus knowingly inclined," your Crown must have been quite a sight for them. hehehe

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz
Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  4:09:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Geez Buskid.....nobody can say you don't deliver! Thanks very much for taking the time. You've touched on this topic in other posts but I appreciate you giving a little more expanded version here. I figured since you had a 69 that a 67 couldn't be much different if at all unless it doesn't have power steering. That was interesting about the windows. I had seen your post looking for them and I was looking at a pic of your 69 trying to figure out what they were but I never could until now. Yeah I think they look cool with that forward sweeping look. They kinda look like a trim piece of sorts. I wonder what year that had them on? I think they look nicer than the straight posts. I'll check out that 67. Like I said, it couldn't be much if any different than your 69. I'd rather get something from the late 70"s though. Again, great info on those engines. Thanks again! I've been having kind of a hard time finding the right bus for me but I'm looking. I haven't been to Hysperia yet but thinking about it. A&A has been advertising a 73 with a 671 and a ten speed.

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  5:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Geez Buskid.....nobody can say you don't deliver! Thanks very much for taking the time. You've touched on this topic in other posts but I appreciate you giving a little more expanded version here. I figured since you had a 69 that a 67 couldn't be much different if at all unless it doesn't have power steering. That was interesting about the windows. I had seen your post looking for them and I was looking at a pic of your 69 trying to figure out what they were but I never could until now. Yeah I think they look cool with that forward sweeping look. They kinda look like a trim piece of sorts. I wonder what year that had them on? I think they look nicer than the straight posts. I'll check out that 67. Like I said, it couldn't be much if any different than your 69. I'd rather get something from the late 70"s though. Again, great info on those engines. Thanks again! I've been having kind of a hard time finding the right bus for me but I'm looking. I haven't been to Hysperia yet but thinking about it. A&A has been advertising a 73 with a 671 and a ten speed.

I think the slanted window post caps have been available forever, hehe. I've seen some 1950s vintage Crowns with them. The 1982 Crown that I drove at work had them, and it looked very cool.

There shouldn't be any major differences between the 1967 and the 1969. A couple minor body details changed, but that's all. For example, the clearance lights will be different - the style changed in 1968. Also, 1969 was the year that the "locking" driver's side window became a standard thing, so earlier year models may or may not have them. But like I said, there shouldn't be any major differences. And I would be surprised if it didn't have at least power-assist steering.

A&A Enterprises in Glendale has been trying to sell those 10-spd. Crowns for a long time. I would be interested in hearing how much they'd like for them. I don't want one, but I know when they first listed them for sale, they wanted well over $5000.00. I'm just curious if they've dropped the price any over time.

If you ever decide to go out to Hesperia, let me know. Maybe I could show you my 1969 sometime if you're in the area. I need to go out to Hesperia & Victorville sometime anyway to look around.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  6:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Hey, would those window pieces fit a Thomas by any chance? Hehehe j/k But I've always liked the transit type windows like that.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia." - Charles Schultz
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2002 :  6:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey, would those window pieces fit a Thomas by any chance? Hehehe j/k But I've always liked the transit type windows like that.

Sorry, BusBoy, I don't think those slanted window post caps would work out too well on a Thomas Built Bus! Can't blame you for trying, though.

Crown Supercoach - The “Royalty” of Pupil Transportation
Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  06:43:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple of Crowns on ebay right now. One was a former 49'ers fan bus the other a 69 in Fresno with supposedly a "recon" Cummins motor. I've always been leary of the word recon if ya know what I mean. Buskid thanks for the Hysperia offer. Very generous of you. Not sure when I'll make it up there but you'll be the first to know!

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  09:29:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Couple of Crowns on ebay right now. One was a former 49'ers fan bus the other a 69 in Fresno with supposedly a "recon" Cummins motor. I've always been leary of the word recon if ya know what I mean. Buskid thanks for the Hysperia offer. Very generous of you. Not sure when I'll make it up there but you'll be the first to know!

Not to be picky, but I don't think that one on eBay is a 1969 - it looks older. I'd say it's at least a 1967, if not older. And now that I look at the other pictures of it, it looks like it might even be a pre-1965 model. The side emergency door seems to be in the center of the bus, and the rear has no clearance lights. They must've made a mistake when they were making the eBay listing.

The 49er Crown has been for sale a lot of times before! But I hear that it runs very well. The person who owns it is former Greyhound driver.

Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  10:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah it's definitely buyer beware on ebay. I wasn't interested in the 49'er bus because it's a tandem anyway. If I was considering a tanden I would take a look at the one in AZ on trader.com under RV's. It is a fairly late model (for a Crown) late 70's or early 80's can't remember which. It's got the big cummins and an auto trans. Looks very nice in the pic but, like I said, it's a tandem. Way too big for me. Pretty hideous what they did to that niner bus huh? Dats a lotta purple! Thanks for the keen eye on that "69". I wouldn't buy a bus sight unseen anyway and not about to travel all the way to Fresno to take a chance on that one.

Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  10:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I like the new quote Buskid!!

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  10:50:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I like the new quote Buskid!!

Thanks, Bob. LOL, it came off of a 1967 Crown sales brochure.

Go to Top of Page

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2002 :  11:29:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both engines are good and reliable. As some of you have already noted, the Detroit is a little easier to start in cold weather, but if you ever run one hot, plan on replacing the cylinder head because it will probably be cracked. If it fails a pressure test, at the very least remove the cylinder head for inspection! The Cummins is a little more robust in that regard, but either will run for a long time in a school bus application. Detroit 6-71 will probably get a touch better fuel economy, especially if it's turbocharged.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

autonerd

34 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  4:25:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Y'all knew I would chime in sooner or later...actually I've probably said all this but what the hell, I'll repeat it in one place. :)

My Gillig is a '67 with the Cummins 220. And I have a GM transit with a 6v71 (related to the 6-71 in the skoolies). The Detroit sounds nicer but I prefer the Cummins on the hills.

One thing about Detroits is you MUST NOT LUG THEM - actually you should not lug any diesel, but the trick with Detroits is to keep the revs up, up, up. I've been advised to run up hills in the lowest gear possible, and running up against the rev limiter is *better* for the engine than pulling hard at 1500 RPM. It's a whole new style of driving!

Anyway. I've been warned by a couple of people to watch for head gasket problems with my 220. Apparently the 220 heads (there are three, each one covers 2 cyls) could loosen up and 'walk' out of position. They changed the number and size of head bolts on the NHH250 to make this problem go away. So far the heads have stayed put in the 10 years and 15,000 miles since the engine rebuild, but I'll probably get in there to re-torque the headbolts every once in a while. The way the engine is laid out, I don't think a head gasket replacement would be a very bad job.

Anyway. Given the choice between the two, I'd be hard pressed to pick... but I'd probably go with the Cummins. The Detroit is the sweeter engine - graceful, elegant, like that beautiful woman you'd like to have on your arm at a formal ball. The Cummins has dirt under its fingernails - noisy and brash, not very social but loves to work. It's the kind of woman you'd like to have on your arm if you need to move a piano. :) At the end of the day, all else being equal the Cummins climbs hills better.

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2002 :  6:06:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
At the end of the day, all else being equal the Cummins climbs hills better.

Better or faster?

On a "good" day, the bus that I drive at work will pull a hill in 8th gear (10 gears, 210 horsepower). And if my own 1969 Crown wasn't geared so darn low, it would go up with ease in 5th (5 gears, 218 horsepower).

Of course a Cummins will go up a little faster, (well, most will, some are just as pokey) but a Detroit Diesel will still get you there in one piece.

What's the RPM that your Fishie is governed at, Aaron? Is it 2150 RPM? I heard that's the typical setting for 671 Detroit Diesels, and I was just curious. I know that the district buses here are supposed to be set at that, but they aren't. They'll red line well over 2200 RPM.

Go to Top of Page

autonerd

34 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2002 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
At the end of the day, all else being equal the Cummins climbs hills better.

Better or faster?

Kiddo, when it comes to climbing hills, faster IS better! :)

Granted 10 speeds makes a HUGE difference. With 3 or 4, you're going to slow down. But my Fish (which is only geared for 55 max) slows down on even the slightest grades, ones that don't affect the Gillig.

quote:

What's the RPM that your Fishie is governed at, Aaron?

I don't know. No tach. From what I've read, the factory sets the governor at 2150. On the GMC-Busnuts board, a guy from Detroit said that DD's official line was 2150. But off the record, if it was his engine, he wouldn't have a problem with 2300, maybe 2350, but he wouldn't go much faster.

There's a GMC guy who switched his PD-4106 (35' intercity bus) from an 8v71 to a 4-stroke Cummins developing the same HP, and from a 4-speed stick to a 3-sp auto (V730 like my Fish). He found the same thing on hills - Cummins just pulls better.

I hope I don't come across as disparaging the Detroit. I still think its one of the greatest engines on the planet, and I certainly wouldn't mind owning a DD-powered Gillig or Crown! But if my motor died and I could choose between a 6-71 and an NHH220, all else (like costs) being equal, I'd probably look at my ol' 220 and say "Give me another one of those!"

Then again, I've never driven a 6-71 Crown. So.

Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  5:34:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Gimme a Detroit anytime!!!!!!!!! Detroits are reliable, stable beasts and they sound good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buslady
Long Live Crown Coach Corp! Detroit Diesel rules!
Crown Coach Archive
http://crowncoach.tripod.com
Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  5:35:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

by the way those are only window frame caps, they dont really look like that.

Buslady
Crown Coach Archive
Go to Top of Page

BusladyofSoCal
Advanced Member

USA
366 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  5:38:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit BusladyofSoCal's Homepage  Send BusladyofSoCal an AOL message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I did the old bus thing about two years ago - I bought a 1952 Crown from a private school up near San Jose. It wasn't a bad bus by any means, but I can't deal with something of that vintage right now - not unless I sunk a ton of money into it.

It had no power steering, a hard-to-shift 4-spd. manual transmission, a weird air brake system,... the list could go on. It was a beautiful bus both inside and out, but I had to put a brand new $1800.00 drive shaft into it before I even took it home with me. It still needs some suspension work done on it. And honestly, I couldn't see myself keeping it and driving it around unless I did a complete engine and transmission swap, not to mention somehow adding power steering and some other things on to it. (I know, by doing all of that work to it would be taking away its originality, but come on!)

I don't think a 1967 Crown would necessarily be a bad thing. If I saw one with my ideal engine, transmission and options for the right price, I'd probably buy it. But this last time around when I bought a bus, I tried to stay away from anything older than a 1969. I didn't want to put myself into the same position I had been in before. The 1969 Crown that I have now is perfect for my needs. It's old enough to be way cool, but it's new enough for me to feel totally comfortable with it.

The windows on that 1967 Crown for sale right now are like any other regular Crown window, by the way. They "sweep forward" because they have window post caps on them. The windows aren't actually slanted. The bus I used to drive at work had those. I'm trying to find a set of those for my 1969 Crown actually.

To be continued...

Buskid might say the '52 had all that funky stuff on it but it was the FUNNEST old Crown ever to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT! hehehe
That bus might show up in a movie or tv show someday!! All the bus needs is front shocks and injector adjustments otherwise the bus is in excellent condition.

Buslady
Crown Coach Archive
Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2002 :  10:10:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
by the way those are only window frame caps, they dont really look like that.

Hey, that's what I said.

quote:
Buskid might say the '52 had all that funky stuff on it but it was the FUNNEST old Crown ever to drive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT! hehehe
That bus might show up in a movie or tv show someday!! All the bus needs is front shocks and injector adjustments otherwise the bus is in excellent condition.

Well, sure, it's all fun and games until you have to go out and buy an $1800.00 drive shaft. Hehe.

One of these days, when I own more than 0.00 acres of land, hopefully I'll be able to keep around a couple more older Crowns (and an ALF!) without even worrying about them. But until then, I have to watch what I buy because I only have two storage spaces. If storage and all of that wasn't an issue, I probably would've kept that bus around,... Even though I ended up getting hurt every time I tried to drive it. I would definitely NOT want that as a conversion if it had the original transmission still in it!

FYI - Newbus, Eric * has about three Crowns still for sale out in Hesperia. I went by his storage lot today, and I saw three in there. I think he had four the last time I went by there about a week ago, but maybe I just missed the fourth one or something.

Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  1:09:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Buskid,
Thanks for letting me know. He's been advertising two or three on trader.com. I think they all have cummins motors. Not positive about that though. Did you check those Crowns out at all? I was thinking about heading up there this weekend if he's open on weekends. Wished I'd known you were going. I'd have liked to peruse his lot with ya. I've noticed A&A has just placed a few buses on trader with prices listed as a "blowout" sale. They never put prices on there. It's always "call for price". I think they must be looking to move some stock. They keep advertising that early 70's, 671, 10 spd. I'd prefer to not buy from a dealer but I may have to the way thing s are going. When I first got on this forum people were saying things that led me to believe there would be lots of them around but, when you really look especially compared to contemporary buses, there aren't that many of them available. Thanks for the update Kid!

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2002 :  6:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Thanks for letting me know. He's been advertising two or three on trader.com. I think they all have cummins motors. Not positive about that though. Did you check those Crowns out at all? I was thinking about heading up there this weekend if he's open on weekends. Wished I'd known you were going. I'd have liked to peruse his lot with ya. I've noticed A&A has just placed a few buses on trader with prices listed as a "blowout" sale. They never put prices on there. It's always "call for price". I think they must be looking to move some stock. They keep advertising that early 70's, 671, 10 spd. I'd prefer to not buy from a dealer but I may have to the way thing s are going. When I first got on this forum people were saying things that led me to believe there would be lots of them around but, when you really look especially compared to contemporary buses, there aren't that many of them available. Thanks for the update Kid!

Hey again

I'm going out to Hesperia and Victorville again this coming Sunday (March 03). Let me know if you're going to be in the area. I think that Eric * will show you his buses just about any time. I think he lives nearby and just drives over to the storage lot whenever someone wants to look at one of the buses. I haven't seen his current stock up close and personal yet, so I also wouldn't mind going in there sometime to take a look around.

Let me know.

Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  09:42:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can make it up there sunday. Just let me know when you are going to be there and I can meet you there. I'll call * and set it up with him (unless you want to). If everything goes accordingly I'll be there on time for sure waitin' for ya. If all he has is cummins powered Crowns I don't know if I want one of those cause I think I'd rather have a 671. Might be worth it anyway. At least I'd get to meet the infamous Buskid! That alone would be worth the ride! Hehe..

Go to Top of Page

Buskid
Top Member

USA
3368 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2002 :  10:11:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I can make it up there sunday. Just let me know when you are going to be there and I can meet you there. I'll call * and set it up with him (unless you want to). If everything goes accordingly I'll be there on time for sure waitin' for ya. If all he has is cummins powered Crowns I don't know if I want one of those cause I think I'd rather have a 671. Might be worth it anyway. At least I'd get to meet the infamous Buskid! That alone would be worth the ride! Hehe..

Cool. I'll e-mail you later on to let you know when I'll be up there. I have to meet with a realtor earlier on Sunday to look at a new house, but after I do that, I'll be free.

I hope Eric * will be around and able to show the buses. Maybe he'd let us take one out for a test drive, LOL. I think he still has one of the 10-speeds for sale. And I'm pretty sure they all have Cummins in them.

There are a couple other older Crowns including a 1972 that a church school owns & some old Victor Elementary School District ones sitting around up there. Even though they're not for sale, I can still show them to you if you'd like.

Talk to you later.

Go to Top of Page

Newbus

119 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2002 :  10:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay. Let me know when you know what time will work best for ya. Do you want to call * to make sure he'll be there? I'm sure I'll want to take a good look at what he's got and definitely would take one for a ride. If you helped steer me into a good bus I think that would we great. As far driveability and stuff like that I wouldn't be nearly as good a judge so I really value your experience. Hope it works out for sunday.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000