SAFETY NOISE LEVEL OF BUS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WALKER

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2002 :  07:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOUR MECHANICS TELL YOU THE PERSON WHO DRIVES THE BUS EVERYDAY THAT THE SQUEALING AND HOWLING IS NORMAL? I REFUSED TO DRIVE MY BUS SO FAR THIS IS EVERYTHING THAT HAS BEEN REPLACED ON MY BUS
1. NEW FRONT SLACK ADJUSTERS
2. NEW FRONT BRAKES
3. NEW FRONT DRUMS
4. NEW REAR SLACK ADJUSTERS
5. NEW REAR BRAKES
AND SOON NEW REAR DRUMS.
IF THE UN-GODLY HOWLING RETURNS AGAIN ANY SUGGESTIONS??

wagonmaster
Top Member

USA
2298 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2002 :  4:45:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ask them to check the "S" cam bushings. The cam can get "cocked" and push the shoes a little sideways, resulting in a squeal. The brake shoe anchor pin can have exessive wear and allow the shoes to "wobble" too. This assumes, of course, that you have cam operated air brakes.
Joe

Go to Top of Page

Bus Boy 39
Top Member

USA
1315 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  06:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have noticed that our TC/2000's brakes squeal more then the All American's and the conventionals. My buses breaks (2001 AA) have just started to squeal, but they're not as loud as 303, 311, & 313 (all TC's).

"Gotta Love Those Birdies!"
Go to Top of Page

Thomasbus24
Administrator

USA
4547 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2002 :  11:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Subsbd. Our brake man told us that the harder the brake shoe material, the more noise. But along with Wagonmaster's suggestion, those bushings need to be checked, many of our old Thomas REs had problems with those.

Yes, that's my bus.
No, you can't drive it.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Ford 85-16
Top Member

USA
4177 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  2:18:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit Thomas Ford 85-16's Homepage  Send Thomas Ford 85-16 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Why is it that some brake on brand new buses still squeal? The 2000 I ride sqeaks every once in a while. Also, before I bought my bus, the brakes would vibrate and the bus would rumble and shake when you hit the brake. Why is that? It doesn't do it now but only squeaks occasionally.

Stop at: http://www.buses.cjb.net
Forums: http://thebusboy.proboards2.com

Quote:
"There's no place like home; GO THERE!" -Lady from the "Craby Road" comic.
Go to Top of Page

B. Busguy33
Top Member

USA
3444 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2002 :  3:33:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit B. Busguy33's Homepage  Send B. Busguy33 an AOL message  Send B. Busguy33 a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Why is it that some brake on brand new buses still squeal?

Hi Mike,

The answer to your question can be many things, but my best guess would be that since the braking system components are still new, they may still be in the "break-in" period. After a certain amount of time and mileage is put onto the bus, the squeals and squeaks should decrease and be minimal due to the brakes being used regularly and not being new anymore.

Particles and dust that make their way into the braking system may also cause occasional squeals and squeaks.

Bob
(B. Busguy33)

"Blue Bird: Always flyin' high above the rest...
Blue Bird: One of America's Best!!! "
Go to Top of Page

jimbo20

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2002 :  11:22:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IN MY EXPERANCE THE HOWLING YOU DESCRIBE ALWAYS COMES FROM THE REAR. LIKE A GARBAGE TRUCK. THE DRUMS AND S-CAMS WOULD BE MY FIRST CHOISE. ALSO MAKE SURE THE LINING IS ALL THE SAME. WE USE GOOD F/F FRICTION COMBINATION SETE IN THE REAR WITH NO NOISE.

Go to Top of Page

WALKER

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2002 :  07:42:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe i failed to mention that my bus is a 1997 flat freighliner you are all replying about your 2000 & 2001 buses and are not getting the point that i have to drive this bus 2+ hrs am 1+hr kindergarten 2+hrs pm and the noise is constant i am going insane

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000