New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  09:41:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody having troubles with the square cut o-ring after they rebuild the purge valves on the Bendix AD9? We use Bendix parts. We use Bendix Maintenance kit BX5005037 to service the purge valve. We have been have quite a few service runs due to the purge valve square cut o-ring for the last few years honestly. Here is a pic of what we usually find.

This has about 1000 miles on it.

Edited by - sambrutay on 09/13/2013 09:42:42 AM

IBTMech
Top Member

USA
973 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2013 :  5:52:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit IBTMech's Homepage  Reply with Quote
What are you running for engine oil? It looks like oil has swollen the quad ring.

If it doesn't fit, FORCE it.
If it breaks, well, it needed replacing anyway.
Pullin' wrenches for 45 years.
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  04:31:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chevron Ursa Super Plus 15/40. and wow, 13 pages of spam........

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  3:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your interval times for servicing them? We go 1.5 years and have never had an issue. Knock On wood
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  3:22:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry i didn't see the mileage under the pic. Very Odd
quote:
Originally posted by bus a groove

What is your interval times for servicing them? We go 1.5 years and have never had an issue. Knock On wood

Go to Top of Page

Brad Barker
Administrator

USA
874 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  5:48:10 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Brad Barker's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
Try replacing the valve rather than rebuilding it.

Brad A. Barker
Go to Top of Page

57fan

United States
148 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2013 :  8:46:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First question is, Is that the exact way the valve came out? If so you have an issue with the bolt holding the valve assembly together. The valve should never come out of the housing (as seen in the picture). The bolt holds it inside the housing thus preventing the "O" ring from coming out. Does not look like an oil issue other than an assembly issue. I don't know what kit we use but we do buy Bendix parts. We rebuild our dryers and end kits every year. Think of how much air passes thru it per day. Constant stop and go. It gets much more use than an over the road truck.

Lead, Follow or get out of the way! Thomas Paine
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  08:10:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brad,
We replace them only when needed. The cost of a maintenance kit is $33 where a purge valve runs $174. Big difference. Especially with a fleet of 1200.
@57fan,
Yes, That's how it came out of the bus. I thought I was having a problem with a particular technician. But the problem is wide spread. Not just one guy.

Bruce

Edited by - sambrutay on 09/17/2013 09:01:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

partsman_ba
Administrator

United States
377 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  12:50:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sambrutay,

You should shop around for that purge valve. I pay $53.25 for the reman 5004341X from my supplier, so it doesn't pay to have a tech put time into rebuilding them.

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional."
Go to Top of Page

bus a groove

70 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  1:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with partsman_ba I had to double check my parts to make sure I was looking up the same one when you posted that price. It really does pay(literally) to shop around especially when you have the purchasing power of 1200 buses. I pay $57.46 for 5004341X and I only have around 38 buses and from California where prices are generally higher
Go to Top of Page

Mechan1c
Top Member

USA
853 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2013 :  2:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We've taken AD-9's a step further and hang a Bendix-reman unit complete. We get years out of our air dryers and when we do finally change one, it just doesn't make sense to our operation to take up limited tech time rebuilding AD-9's.
Go to Top of Page

Tb4020

United States
82 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  07:02:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use either re-man AD-9s or new knock offs cheaper than a cartridge and valve by the time you figure labor. Replace them every two years except the 07 Cats with the DPFs they seem to blow oil, we change those every year. I don't have problems and don't want them!
Go to Top of Page

michael.stotler@daimler.com

United States
3 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2013 :  08:25:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does your engine have EGR? They changed the AD9 drier with EGR vehicles to be resistant to oil coalescing because of the heat and oil from EGR engines. The unit still looks the same as the old style so you may be replacing with the incorrect part even though it fits. Check this link for part numbers for different vehicles from Bendix

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/airtreatment_1/bw2858boilcoalescingbrochure2011_updated6_11standardrez.pdf

I learn something every day
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  08:44:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michael.stotler@daimler.com

Does your engine have EGR? They changed the AD9 drier with EGR vehicles to be resistant to oil coalescing because of the heat and oil from EGR engines. The unit still looks the same as the old style so you may be replacing with the incorrect part even though it fits. Check this link for part numbers for different vehicles from Bendix

http://www.bendix.com/media/documents/products_1/airtreatment_1/bw2858boilcoalescingbrochure2011_updated6_11standardrez.pdf

@ Michael
Yes and no. I do have units with EGR's but this problem is wide spread. also have checked with OEM as to the correct part number for our applications.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page

sambrutay
Advanced Member

United States
271 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2013 :  06:28:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input. Think we will go 5004341X reman route.

Bruce
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:

School Bus Fleet Magazine Forums © 2022 School Bus Fleet Magazine Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000